Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish 110 SAT problem resolved (ESPNHD, TNTHD, SyFyHD, USAHD, HDNet, and some others)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Anyone else?

For roughly the past hour, every channel on 110 SAT is breaking up very badly and audio breaking as well.

I've checked multiple receivers, and the problem is only for channels on the 110 SAT.

I'm watching and recording other stuff from other SATs without issues...

I first noticed ~8:35pm EST on 140HD... but also noted 122HD, 105HD, and 138HD as well. I stopped checking once the pattern formed that it was channels on the 110 SAT being problematic.

edit: I should clarify... I don't know about SD channels, as I've only been checking HD channels... so it is possible SD channels are ok and it is just the HD channels with problems.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 06 November 2011 - 08:53 PM.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

I haven't noticed anything on 170, 209 or 239, but I don't know what bird they're on.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   kruser

kruser

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Same problem here for at least the past hour if not two.
At 9:20 PM CST, the problem seems to be fixed.

I also tried several 110 channels and they all had the problem.
I was watching Syfy when I first noticed it.

I ran a check switch and the acquiring sat signal screen never would complete.
I finally did a power button reset and this time the sat signal was acquired and the guide downloaded. But the problem still remained until just a few minutes ago.

Who knows. I did check the signal levels in the aim dish screen and all transponders on 110 were showing normal signal levels for me here in St. Louis, MO.
Must have been an uplink problem.

edit: I did not see the problem on SD channels.

#4 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

Yes, there was/is a known outage with the HD versions of the Syfy, HDNET, USA, ESPN, HD Movies, NFL Redzone, Fox Sports South, TBS and TNT. I did not see any reports that ALL channels on 110 were down, just the ones listed above

These should be up and running shortly, if not already

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#5 OFFLINE   kruser

kruser

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

I haven't noticed anything on 170, 209 or 239, but I don't know what bird they're on.

Hit the Info button twice and the screen will show what bird you are watching on the 2nd info screen.

#6 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'm currently recording 2 channels off 110. Both are HD locals. I watched a few minutes of each and didn't see a problem. Of course, I may not have been watching at the right time.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yes, there was/is a known outage with the HD versions of the Syfy, HDNET, USA, ESPN, HD Movies, NFL Redzone, Fox Sports South, TBS and TNT. I did not see any reports that ALL channels on 110 were down, just the ones listed above

These should be up and running shortly, if not already

Thanks for the update... I clarified my original post to note that I had not tried every 110 SAT channel, because I tried a bunch of the ones I watch most, and all of them were down.

Good to know it was not a major 110 SAT outage... but would be interested in knowing what happened.

Fortunately, if it has already been fixed it will be fixed in time for me not to miss anything else beyond what I was watching earlier until I gave up and went back to Football.

edit: Spot-checked, and the channels seem to be back now. I hadn't looked since ~10:00pm EST so they must have been fixed at some point after that.

#8 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

My channels on 110 have been pretty lame all day as wel.

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

but would be interested in knowing what happened.

Sunspots?

#10 OFFLINE   themadman

themadman

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

After a long (34 minute) "tech support" session with the Philippians’ call center, I finally got the admittance that there was a problem with those specific HD feeds off of 110. Of course I had already listed the channels I couldn’t see, and the commonality between them (tp 7 on 110), and the fact that I could see other channels, but we still had to play the maybe it’s your receiver, power down, etc. game.
The tech on the other end finally suggested that I just watch the SD versions of those channels since there was nothing wrong with them; which opened the door to the fact that she knew of the problem on the transponder. I pushed and said so when are the engineers replacing the encoder since you just admitted to the problem by saying you know the SD feeds work; and if I wanted to watch the SD feeds I wouldn’t be paying for the everything pack and HD.
I also expressed my frustration on the fact that this is the fourth outage I’ve had to call dish on in the last month… and it’s getting tiring; especially with the opening denial from dish, the programming I have wanted to watch and missed (it seems to always happen during a new episode of some show I want to watch that won’t repeat for 3 months), and the lack of quality control at Dish lately.
While I’ve long been a dish fan, and have had service for 14 years from them now; I’m about to pull the plug; the price gouging with the “DVR fees” (I have a owned 508 as well as a leased 622), the dropping of HD channels and not adding anything back (see the Disney fight, and now we lost HD shorts in the past week), the constant signal problems, the new fees, the arc switching (we’ve been bounced around from 61.5 to 129 for locals a couple of times), the lack of a “multi room” DVR, the horrid support on the phone, and the lack of care for someone paying for their most expensive package, leaving me with a 622 with a HDMI port that doesn’t even work… and they expect me to stay as one of their “35 million satisfied customers” as the recording says while on hold ( and repeats ever 3 minutes; so I think I’ve heard it over 35 million times :( in the last month).
Is there a particular reason that Dish can’t keep their signal up, deliver the equipment/technology they’ve promised, and keep the customers happy lately?

#11 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

Edited by Inkosaurus, 11 November 2011 - 05:51 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   themadman

themadman

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

1)why didnt you just request a transfer to an english department.

I actually did request a transfer and she refused, saying that I had to call back during regular business hours M-F in the USA if I wanted to talk to someone in the USA.

I also asked for escalation, she refused that too...

2)Theres no rule at Dish that says we cant admit that there may be an outage.

True, but it sure would help with your third point, wouldn't it?

3)That techs an idiot. Increasing there handle time troubleshooting for a problem they know that cant fix is just absolutely stupid.
They could have avoided everything by just saying "yeah we know about it, it will be resolved sooner or later"

No arguement here; Unfortunately each time I play CSR roulette, they seem to get more dumber than smarter...
As you've said in another post, if there really is no script, and you (the CSR) get someone (such as a member of this board), who can tell you (the CSR) what channels are affected, and their commonality; shouldn't that knock some sense into the CSR that they don't have an ID10T on the phone?

The only reason I've played along with the stupidity each time, is so that when (if) I do finally get an intelligent person on the other end of the phone at dish, I can call their attention to the call logs and times, mention the problems were all on dishes end (admitted or not :sure: ), and then maybe ask for some better resolution (i.e. compensation) to the stupidity I've had to endure at the hands of some of the Dish CSR's.

#13 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Is there a particular reason that Dish can’t keep their signal up, deliver the equipment/technology they’ve promised, and keep the customers happy lately?

I have been a Dish Network customer since 2001 and have NEVER had a problem that Dish Network was not able to rectify. That problem being a 510 that the HDD died and was replaced with no out of pocket expense.

Guess I am lucky......

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

Is there a particular reason people can't be a little patient? So a signal flaked out for a while --- So what? Watch something else. I would never even think to call Dish on something so minor.

#15 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

I actually did request a transfer and she refused, saying that I had to call back during regular business hours M-F in the USA if I wanted to talk to someone in the USA.

I also asked for escalation, she refused that too...

Ouch :(
Next time you call in and get an english agent have the agent set your preferences to non foreign call sites.
Actually i'd go to dishnetwork.com, engage a chat agent and have them set it up before even risking CSR roulette again.
Oh and i wasnt trying to debate with you or anything, just showing my general frustration from what i read in the post.

Edited by Inkosaurus, 06 November 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   themadman

themadman

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Is there a particular reason people can't be a little patient? So a signal flaked out for a while --- So what? Watch something else. I would never even think to call Dish on something so minor.

Since the wife has missed 3 programs in the last month, and I've now missed 2, (and the three she missed is more painful to me then the two I did, since the "stupid satellite isn't working again"), it does start to grate on ones nerves.

Add to the fact that I spent 15 years in the broadcast industry as an engineer, and an hour and a half outage of one signal, much less 8 would have gotten someone fired where I worked.

I do wonder if Dish reported back to each of those netowrks on the fact that they failed to carry the signal, and if those networks will tell their advertisers.

The paperwork we had to fill out when fialing to carry a network spot, and the fact that if the local station was at fault WE LOCALLY had to reimburse the network to reimburse the advertiser; tended to keep the signal on the air.

You are right, there are more important things in life; world hunger, cancer, etc.; but on a sat TV forum, one should be able to discuss Sat TV. And if it was the first occurance, I would have been patient and not posted (see the part of being a member for 6 years and only posting 7 times; = lurks alot), but at some point one does get frustrated, comes to an appropiated plance on the internet to discuss the problem; and hopes that a member of the DIRT team or a lurker in Dish management reads my compalint, and those of some others recently, and maybe tries to fix the problem.

:( (yes, I know it's all fantasy, I work in the corporate world too, I know that it will never happen. But if I'm frustrated enough to post after lurking for 6 years; perhaps someone ought to take note, cause I bet they're about to lose a customer.)

:nono2: (queue the people who will say good ridance to me if I don't like the service, and won't find anything better, so I need to accept the lousy service I get, and be happy I get that much service, because Dish doesn't have to offer me service at all...)

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

Actually, I was kinda irked and I am also a very long time customer of Echostar/Dish.

Was recording on my 722 the new Mark Harmon (NCIS) movie on USA - repeated once tonight. When I checked it was obvious the first show was recording nothing usable.I shuffled stuff around on my 612 to get the second one and hope I have something usable because it isn't scheduled for a repeat.

I'm usually fairly tolerant of glitches (yeah, I know Dish doesn't like that word), but I really want to see how this effort by Harmon goes. From the NY Times:

With “John Sandford’s Certain Prey” on Sunday night, USA takes a gamble on two venerable institutions: the made-for-television movie and Mark Harmon.

“Certain Prey” is only the network’s second original movie since 2005 (following the “Burn Notice” prequel film this spring). It clearly seems intended to create for USA, Mr. Harmon and Mr. Sandford — the author of 21 “Prey” mysteries featuring Lucas Davenport, deputy police chief of Minneapolis — the sort of franchise that the Jesse Stone movies, based on a Robert Parker character, have become for CBS and Tom Selleck.

From another article:

Interestingly, having been a fan of author John Sandford, Mark Harmon took on the role of executive producer in order to help Certain Prey live up to its potential. Although Mark Harmon and the creative team chose to introduce Lucas Davenport with Certain Prey, Harmon hopes that Certain Prey is the first in what may be many more adaptations in Sandford's Prey series.

Dish could, of course, get USA to allow them to put it up in the On Demand to make this long time customer happy.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

I didn't call Dish... I checked here, and found others corroborating, and then the DIRT rep replied and confirmed a known issue.

But it was out for nearly 2 hours by my count... and IF it was on a channel you wanted to watch, it seems reasonable to me to call and complain.

Heck, for all you know you could be the first person reporting the outage so if you didn't call Dish wouldn't know until later.

As for "something so minor"... We are paying for satellite TV, right? If we aren't getting the channels we subscribe to, isn't that the very definition of a major problem?

I think people should be polite and patient when calling Dish to report... but certainly have a right to call and complain about an outage of service.

Oh and i wasnt trying to debate with you or anything, just showing my general frustration from what i read in the post.

This kind of echoes something we were talking about in another support thread recently... and Dish isn't alone in failing at these kinds of scenarios.

When a customer calls in and there is a known outage of channels... and the customer is reporting that he is having trouble with those channels... there should be no hoop-jumping or diagnosing at that point. The customer should be informed that there is a known problem and go from there.

Like we were discussing in the other thread about a known 622 HDMI issue... tonight we had a channel outage known issue... so to be running a customer in circles diagnosing something that can't possibly be fixed because of the known outage... that just frustrates everyone.

I hope Dish has a "lessons learned" type of program where they can discuss the handling of situations like this and actually use it as a teachable moment to remind CSRs to check for known issues before trying to diagnose an undiagnosable problem.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Was recording on my 722 the new Mark Harmon (NCIS) movie on USA - repeated once tonight.

Dish could, of course, get USA to allow them to put it up in the On Demand to make this long time customer happy.:sure:

Fortunately I had other conflicts that forced me to set a timer for the 2nd airing anyway... and other things i DVRed tonight were not on the affected channels... so I think my 11pm recording of this movie is fine (I hope).

I 2nd the idea of an On Demand... It would be nice in a case like this where it was a Dish issue if they could work out something like that, though even that wouldn't help the non-DVR customers... it would still be a good start.

#20 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

Edited by Inkosaurus, 11 November 2011 - 05:50 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...