Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA vs Ethernet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

I've got a HR20-700 and HR22-100 connected via ethernet to support multi room viewing. What would be the advantage of upgrading my system with SWMs, DECA adapters, etc to move to DirecTVs "supported" configuration for multi room viewing? Is it worth making the hardware investment ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

The advantage would be the relatively bulletproof nature of SWiM networking, plus the ability to add service to any room with only one wire.

DIRECTV's latest (non-DVR) receiver doesn't work without a SWiM and neither does its upcoming HR34 DVR. SWiM is "where it's going" and at some point without it, you'll be locked out.

Personally I think it's well worth it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

I've got a HR20-700 and HR22-100 connected via ethernet to support multi room viewing. What would be the advantage of upgrading my system with SWMs, DECA adapters, etc to move to DirecTVs "supported" configuration for multi room viewing? Is it worth making the hardware investment ?

"Tough call"
If it's working fine now, it may not [will not] work any better.
I have DECA and it works fine, but then it did when I used ethernet.

Single wire has some pluses, as does not having a bunch of cables, but "function wise" if it's working fine now, then nothing is going to change by upgrading.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

From the posts I've read the only Deca only one is the H25
the HR34 disables deca if an ethernet cable is plugged in

so the advantage would be D*'s support and easier CSR calls
I would upgrade to SWM just because it'll be easier
though for Deca if you already have ethernet cable in place and its working then there isn't an ROI

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

From the posts I've read the only Deca only one is the H25
the HR34 disables deca if an ethernet cable is plugged in

so the advantage would be D*'s support and easier CSR calls

Nope, that's the H/HR24 that does.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

Nope, that's the H/HR24 that does.

then why does the HR34 even have a ethernet port?

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

My contract was up last month so when I feel strong enough to tackle DirecTV and dicker with them over my renewal, I am going to go from a perfectly functioning unsupported Ethernet WHDVR system to DECA and SWiM, but only if they give it to me for free. I think I'll win that argument. I've gotten free hardware before at contract renewal time.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,903 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

The advantage of DECA over Ethernet is that it takes MRV off your home LAN.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

Why? :shrug: but from what I've heard, connecting the ethernet port doesn't disable the internal DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

Why? :shrug: but from what I've heard, connecting the ethernet port doesn't disable the internal DECA.

ok, I had seen a post to the contrary but maybe its just a programing oversight

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

The HR34 has an ethernet port because if it's used as an RVU server, and there are no other receivers in use, it can provide on demand and other services to the clients by connecting directly to a router. It's just one option.

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

ok, I had seen a post to the contrary but maybe its just a programing oversight

It doesn't disable the Ethernet, at least presently.

But it is not recommended to use the Ethernet connection as a Broadband DECA, but it does seem to work, but again not recommended.

Also, "taking MRV off the home LAN" seems to be somewhat a myth. A robust Switch already does point-to-point, with virtually zero impact on the home LAN. But obviously, DECA is king and preferred for the typical home.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#13 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

The advantage of DECA over Ethernet is that it takes MRV off your home LAN.

However you're likely to be connecting the Deca system to your network for VOD and such so that negates it for the most part

but it does give you a single point of contact which can be easier to manage

#14 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

It doesn't disable the Ethernet, at least presently.

But it is not recommended to use the Ethernet connection as a Broadband DECA, but it does seem to work, but again not recommended.

Also, "taking MRV off the home LAN" seems to be somewhat a myth. A robust Switch already does point-to-point, with virtually zero impact on the home LAN. But obviously, DECA is king and preferred for the typical home.

Ya
assuming they have a switch and not a hub (I've seen a few consumer routers with hubs listed as switches)(an easy way to tell is to use a computer with wireshark and plug it into an unused port, if you see data addressed for another device and not a broadcast packet then you have a hub, ok maybe not easy for others)

but from D*'s perspective its easier to support it, they don't have to train their people on RJ45 or run more cables through the home and they don't have to worry that someone is using a junky hub

#15 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

Ya
assuming they have a switch and not a hub (I've seen a few consumer routers with hubs listed as switches)(an easy way to tell is to use a computer with wireshark and plug it into an unused port, if you see data addressed for another device and not a broadcast packet then you have a hub, ok maybe not easy for others)

but from D*'s perspective its easier to support it, they don't have to train their people on RJ45 or run more cables through the home and they don't have to worry that someone is using a junky hub

Correct, DECA is mature, and the recommended and preferred approach.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#16 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

I know I hate using consumer routers and if I ran a company I wouldn't want to put people in a place that they might have to troubleshoot some random crappy consumer router that isn't worth its weight in paper

so Deca has a nice ROI for D* I can't argue that, no added cable, no added training, and in time no extra devices

maybe they're leaving the ethernet on the HR34 on so it can take the place of the CCK/CCK-W's

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Sorry, that's not it. It's more for its use as a server in an environment where there are no traditional receivers.

#18 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

Was thinking the same as Stuart ... maybe an HR34 with a few Smart TVs, all Ethernet connected.

#19 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

I know if I was D* that I'd want to simplify MRV setup
possibily have the HR34 replace the CCK/CCK-W when its used (ie if you have a HR34 maybe you can get rid of the CCK

but also have the ethernet link for use with the C30 type devices

why not kill 2 birds with one stone

maybe someone with a HR34 could test this (connect ethernet to the rj45 port and remove thier CCK)

#20 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I know if I was D* that I'd want to simplify MRV setup
possibily have the HR34 replace the CCK/CCK-W when its used (ie if you have a HR34 maybe you can get rid of the CCK

but also have the ethernet link for use with the C30 type devices

why not kill 2 birds with one stone

maybe someone with a HR34 could test this (connect ethernet to the rj45 port and remove thier CCK)

I don't think anyone said it won't work (it will); it was mentioned that this wasn't the intended usage. I'm sure there will be stories of setups as you describe.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...