Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
ViP622 External Drive Dying - need advice
Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:25 AM
But here's the strange thing. If I wait until the next morning, then I can access My Media again and play programs from it again (and try to transfer programs, but I've learned to stop doing that). So my plan is to buy a new EHD to archive new programs onto and to maybe even use to store some of the existing programs off the old EHD (I realize I must first transfer them back to the 622).
So here are my questions:
1) What is it about the nightly reboot that is able to restore the proper connection to the EHD, which doing a hard or soft reboot, or unplugging/reattaching the EHD does not accomplish? How is it different? Is there anything I can do that would give me the same results without having to wait until the next morning?
2) If I get a new EHD and hook it up, will I still be able to switch over to the old EHD from time to time in order to view the archived programs there (and maybe restore them back to the 622)? My girlfriend is afraid that once we go to a new EHD, the DVR will somehow lose the programs on the old one, especially if it is powered off/disconnected for a long time. I've tried to explain that hard disks don't just lose data when unpowered for a long time. We are also somewhat worried that the DVR will not recognize the old one after the new one is hooked up, even though I've seen from some other threads that's not an issue.
3) Is there a preferred way for switching between EHDs on a single DVR? For example, should everything be completely powered off when switching?
Any advice would be appreciated! I've searched the forum but haven't found a lot on this subject. Thanks!
|...Ads Help To Support This Site...||
Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:10 PM
What I did was made a disk image of my external, burned it on a new drive, and the new drive came up. Search "Disharc" here.
Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:32 PM
Do the assessment, then we will think what would be next step.