Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622 External Drive Dying - need advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

I've got a ViP622 with a 2TB WD Elements USB External Hard Drive hooked up to it that is dying. When I try to transfer shows, sometimes it works, but more often than not lately something goes wrong and I lose the recording. Sometimes it will take "forever" (the "estimated time" keeps going up or stays the same) and I have to hit "Stop Transfer". Almost always the DVR will lock up (even after Stop Transfer) and I have to reboot the 622. After the reboot, My Media appears in My Recordings, but if I try to go into it, it locks up again and I have to reboot. I can do both front panel and power cord reboots, and I can unplug and reattach the EHD (both power and USB) and it is still unable to access it even though My Media appears and the 622 thinks it's hooked up.

But here's the strange thing. If I wait until the next morning, then I can access My Media again and play programs from it again (and try to transfer programs, but I've learned to stop doing that). So my plan is to buy a new EHD to archive new programs onto and to maybe even use to store some of the existing programs off the old EHD (I realize I must first transfer them back to the 622).

So here are my questions:

1) What is it about the nightly reboot that is able to restore the proper connection to the EHD, which doing a hard or soft reboot, or unplugging/reattaching the EHD does not accomplish? How is it different? Is there anything I can do that would give me the same results without having to wait until the next morning?

2) If I get a new EHD and hook it up, will I still be able to switch over to the old EHD from time to time in order to view the archived programs there (and maybe restore them back to the 622)? My girlfriend is afraid that once we go to a new EHD, the DVR will somehow lose the programs on the old one, especially if it is powered off/disconnected for a long time. I've tried to explain that hard disks don't just lose data when unpowered for a long time. We are also somewhat worried that the DVR will not recognize the old one after the new one is hooked up, even though I've seen from some other threads that's not an issue.

3) Is there a preferred way for switching between EHDs on a single DVR? For example, should everything be completely powered off when switching?

Any advice would be appreciated! I've searched the forum but haven't found a lot on this subject. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

I would move as much as you can to the internal drive. Get a new external and format it. Move the internal stuff to it. Swap it with your old external and move more stuff to internal. Swap it again and move that to the new external... until you have what you want saved. I "think" that will work.

What I did was made a disk image of my external, burned it on a new drive, and the new drive came up. Search "Disharc" here.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

You'll need to CHECK your EHD first. Get MHDD or Victoria and find all posts where I described the process many times.
Do the assessment, then we will think what would be next step.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...