Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using Dish 500 with D12 receiver

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rodm

rodm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

I have DTV with 5 receivers one HD all others D12 with slimline dish 1 lnb aimed at 101 no DVR . I used to have DN until recently. I have a mobile home on some land about 80 miles away where I go fishing/hunting. The mobile home is isolated and not secure. We do use generator power for electricity. We have a Dish 500 with 2 Eagle Aspen lnb (+32) on a pole at that location where we used a receiver brought from the home. I was there today and tried to use one of the D12 receivers after reconfiguering it and trying to point at 101 using a cable off the 119 side straight to SWM port no power converter. No signal whatever...Can this work or do I need to buy a new dish and lnb if so WHAT??.

Thanks rodm

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Your D12 may very well be set for SWM use at home, in which case you would have to go through satellite setup and change to 18" round dish and multiswitch settings. That should work for you.

If you can't get that to work, then getting an 18" round single LNB dish for that location would be all you need. But again, you still need to re-do the sat setup.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

Your D12 may very well be set for SWM use at home, in which case you would have to go through satellite setup and change to 18" round dish and multiswitch settings. That should work for you.

If you can't get that to work, then getting an 18" round single LNB dish for that location would be all you need. But again, you still need to re-do the sat setup.

[not a dish network expert] "I was told" Dish Network uses a different signal to switch LNBs, than what DirecTV uses. LNBs [the old Ku ones] are interchangeable, but not the switches. Dish 500, I believe, has 2 LNBs.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

[not a dish network expert] "I was told" Dish Network uses a different signal to switch LNBs, than what DirecTV uses. LNBs [the old Ku ones] are interchangeable, but not the switches. Dish 500, I believe, has 2 LNBs.

Same here, certainly no Dish expert :) , but from what I do understand is if you have a Dish 500 with two old legacy single LNBs such as pictured here

Posted Image

It should work if you rerun the D12 setup for the single 18" round dish and multiswitch with the dish pointed slightly off from 101 since the Dish 500 actually has two focal points off center from the middle of the dish.

However if the LNBs are Dish Pro type singles such as here;

Posted Image

It will not work. You would need to changeout the LNBs for a Dish Pro Plus (DPP) type which are all twin assemblies as they are backward compatible with voltage/tone signaling legacy receivers.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Same here, certainly no Dish expert :) , but from what I do understand is if you have a Dish 500 with two old legacy single LNBs such as pictured here

Posted Image

It should work if you rerun the D12 setup for the single 18" round dish and multiswitch with the dish pointed slightly off from 101 since the Dish 500 actually has two focal points off center from the middle of the dish.

What you haven't showed are the switches to use those LNBs. I did have the 500 upgrade with those LNBs.
You should be able to cobble it together by removing the external switches.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

The D12 is not compatible with DISHPro or DISHPro+ lnbs. With the right bracket you could mount a legacy dish LNB and it would work.

All tolled, you're probably better off shopping around for a cast off DIRECTV dish and LNB.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Generally speaking, DISH 500 assemblies installed within the last seven or eight years are entirely incompatible with DIRECTV receivers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Generally speaking, DISH 500 assemblies installed within the last seven or eight years are entirely incompatible with DIRECTV receivers.

Mine was older than that, as I've been with DirecTV for almost 9 years, and it was the conversion kit for the single LNB dish.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

What you haven't showed are the switches to use those LNBs. I did have the 500 upgrade with those LNBs.

OK, yes I should have added that the external switches, "SW21s" is it?, would need to be removed and the D12 receiver run directly to either of those legacy voltage/tone LNBs should work.

But the DP types will not work at all.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

OK, yes I should have added that the external switches, "SW21s" is it?, would need to be removed and the D12 receiver run directly to either of those legacy voltage/tone LNBs should work.

But the DP types will not work at all.

voltage, yes, but tone no, as that's for the switch.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

I thought the DPP LNBs will work with any DBS receivers, Dish or DIRECTV, which can use the old legacy standard voltage/22 KHz tone signaling method.

#12 OFFLINE   rodm

rodm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Ok, here is what I did. I bought a DTV slimline dish which is on a tripod and has a DTVSDLNB lnb set up. Craigslist $20.00 5 miles from my house got lucky on that . I tried today to configure this set up with the D12-100 receiver setting it to slimline 5 and mult switch in the menu. I cant seem to get a signal as it only reads 0. The lnb say it has a built in multiswitch with 4 outputs. All I am doing is running a short cable to the receiver. I am not using a power converter is this a problem. Dish plumb on tripod zip code 34476 azimuth 220 , elevation 50 and azimuth 59. Any suggestions

Rodm

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I thought the DPP LNBs will work with any DBS receivers, Dish or DIRECTV, which can use the old legacy standard voltage/22 KHz tone signaling method.

Any DISH Network receiver will work with a DPP LNB but the LNB assembly needs DC power from a DP or DPP receiver so the converse isn't true.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

No power inserter is correct.

Once you have the starting az/el/tilt, you probably need to adjust S L O W L Y looking for a signal. Start by adjusting azimuth left and right about 10 degrees each way. Move the LNB about 1/4 of an inch, pause, look for signal. Then another 1/4 inch, pause, check for signal. Keep going this way either side of your starting point. If you find a signal, then adjust for peak and check elevation also for peak. If you don't find a signal, adjust elevation up a degree and try another azimuth sweep. Then another degree of elevation until you've gone up about 5 degrees. If still nothing, go back to original elevation, then start going down a degree at a time.

The azimuth and elevation you start with are just that, starting points. You may or may not see a signal there.

#15 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

Ive ran across some people that thought the bolt on the dish (slimline) was still the elevation mark.....its the end of the metal piece just to the right of the bolt that shows through the window? ya that might not make any sense....

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

The elevation is based on the edge of the sheet metal, not the center of the bolt.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...