Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Sleepy" 722 broadband connection

splitter

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

About 2-3 months ago, my 722 developed a new problem... When I attempt to access any of the DoD menus, I get the message "You must have a broadband connection...". So, I go into "Network Setup" (Menu-6-1-9-2) and "Connection Status" briefly displays "Testing...", then "Connected Online". (I don't recall this happening before; the status was always "Offline" - as when my router was powered off - or "Online" - it had never before displayed "Testing".)

Once the connection is "awake", I can then browse DoD movie offerings and queue several for download. But, after about 20-30 minutes, my DSL modem shows no activity, and the "My Rentals" download status reports "This download could not be completed...". Accessing DoD menus again prompts the message "You must have a broadband connection...".

Here's the weird part: after re-waking the broadband connection and queuing more movie downloads, any action requiring a network connection (browsing DoD movies, accessing the Network Setup menu, etc) seemingly resets this 30-minute window, allowing downloads to finish. (I successfully downloaded four movies yesterday.)

Any idea as to what could be the problem?

Specs: 722 (L721), connected to a 3 Mbps DSL modem via a Dish Powerline BB unit. And, yes, my 722 has been power-cycled several times since this problem started.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

Is there any 'inactivity' settings of "Dish Powerline BB unit" ?

#3 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

There are no settings for the Dish Powerline unit (that I'm aware of). I'd be delighted to hear that I'm wrong on this point, and that there's some kind of configuration utility that I should be using.

But, perhaps this is a better answer: the Dish Powerline unit is actually a replacement for a Netgear XE102. I had the "sleepy" problem with the Netgear unit, thought that it might be the culprit, and so purchased and installed the Dish unit last week. No difference.

#4 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

OK. Next step - follow a path from STB to Internet - the DSL modem, its settings. Am I right - there ia nothing in between Dish Powerline unit and DSL modem ?
Could you create full diagram with models, versions, settings for the troubleshooting process?

#5 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

Correct, there is nothing unusual/complex in the configuration: 722 -> Dish Powerline unit -> 2Wire DSL modem -> ISP.

The only changes made to the modem are turning-off Netbios and activating "stealth mode" (blocking ping/ICMP requests). But, these changes were made more than two years ago. (Granted, until the Blockbuster enhancement came along, I had never exercised the 722 with sustained downloads.)

#6 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Don't know if this helps any diagnosis, but I am able to see my 722 from the internet (dishonline.com).

#7 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Don't know if this helps any diagnosis, but I am able to see my 722 from the internet (dishonline.com).

Any time ? Regardless of the 30 min interval ?

Perhaps little more details (I'm not sure what the dish gadget doing here) - is your DVR far away from DSL modem and you cannot use a network cable ?
Could you temporary eliminate the powerline unit and use a cable between network jack of 722 and DSL modem ?

#8 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

I cannot access my 722 from dishonline.com when it is asleep. But, I can access it for 20-30 minutes as soon as I go into the Network Setup (6-1-9-2) menu. (And, to be precise, I just need to bring up this menu - it is not necessary for me to hit "Reset Connection".)

The 722 is about 25' from my DSL modem/hub, so I cannot directly connect it unless I want to pull everything out of their cabinets and stretch cables across the floor. But, I will invest in a long ethernet cable the next time I go past my local computer store (or order something online).

#9 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

It that long network cable will not help, I would dig into the DSL modem's settings ...

#10 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

This post (started yesterday) in the dishsupport forum looks very similar to my issue.

#11 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Check your DSL modem inactivity settings (DHCP lease time also) anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Lease has been set to 24 hours for the last couple of years.

I see no inactivity timeout setting.

#13 OFFLINE   kevin d

kevin d

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

On the broadband link of your DSL modem setup, under advanced settings, check and make sure PPP on Demand is set to 0.

Kevin D.

#14 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

On the broadband link of your DSL modem setup, under advanced settings, check and make sure PPP on Demand is set to 0.

Yes, it is.

#15 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hi LRD, I apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your 722 receiver. I am currently tracking an issue with the broadband connection dropping on 722 receiver only ( Not 622 or 722k's), all the account's have DSL internet and the majority are AT&T based but other providers have been confirmed to have this issue as well. This problem has been reported to have started after the BBMP software upgrade to the receiver. I am trying to get this issue resolved with our engineers but it appears to be on the DISH Network end at this time.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#16 OFFLINE   LRD

LRD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Mary.

I eagerly await a resolution.

Edited by LRD, 19 November 2011 - 08:21 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Dish97

Dish97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

Having same problem on my 722k. Have more or less stopped using it.
No problems with my Netflix or Amazon online both through my BR.

#18 OFFLINE   etzeppy

etzeppy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

I recently started having this same issue with a 722k. When I go to look for movies to download, just like the OP, I get "You must have a broadband connection...". But when I check the connection in the menus, broadband is working. After the broadband test, the 722k will work for a bit. I tried to queue up a couple of movies last night and none of the downloads completed.

All other devices connected to my router are working fine. I am using AT&T DSL.

#19 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

I recently started having this same issue with a 722k. When I go to look for movies to download, just like the OP, I get "You must have a broadband connection...". But when I check the connection in the menus, broadband is working. After the broadband test, the 722k will work for a bit. I tried to queue up a couple of movies last night and none of the downloads completed.

All other devices connected to my router are working fine. I am using AT&T DSL.

I had installed a RJ45 wire from my router to my 612 receiver. This only proved to to be way too slow. So I disconnected the wire and I am using this for my second computer.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 01 January 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   satman85

satman85

• Banned User
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

try running a second cable to if in and eliminate band seperator,worked for me!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: splitter

spam firewall