Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

All-American Muslim on TLC

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

http://tlc.howstuffw...american-muslim

Premieres Nov. 13 @ 10/9c

All-American Muslim takes a look at life in Dearborn, Michigan--home to the largest mosque in the United States--through the lens of five Muslim American families.

Each episode offers an intimate look at the customs and celebrations, misconceptions and conflicts these families face outside and within their own community.

http://www.npr.org/b...ferent-families

There was a time before Jersey Shore, before Toddlers & Tiaras, before Dance Moms, when it seemed like unscripted television might be used for good. It goes all the way back to the time when the Louds were profiled on PBS's An American Family, but more recently when Pedro Zamora died of AIDS the day after the airing of his last episode of MTV's The Real World. Television is powerful, and while that's most often said with a shake of the head, now and then, it can be said with some satisfaction, and that's the way it feels to watch TLC's All-American Muslim.

#2 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

I've seen a lot of promos for this, and that woman that says "to educate people like you" really turns my stomach. For one, it's a racist comment. Two, I'm not alone when i say that I couldn't give 2 quick squirts about Muslims.

I'd be really happy if Muslims just went about being Muslim and stopped trying to make me and everyone else understand them.

I won't be watching.

#3 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'd be really happy if Muslims just went about being Muslim and stopped trying to make me and everyone else understand them.

Funny, I feel the same way about Christians.

It could be an interesting watch, but I won't be recording it. Perhaps if I catch it while it's on I'll see if it's any good.

As a rule, however, I tend to shy away from any "Reality" show. Be it about snobby young men and women in Jersey, Toddlers, Trucks, Tattoos, Motorcycles, Fish, etc. I believe this show is also included in the list.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Hopefully, the show will open some people's eyes about Muslims in America. Our country is all about religious freedom and Muslims are often misunderstood, especially after 9-11. Having a couple Muslim friends in college, including a fraternity brother, it's amazing how much persecution they endure just because of their beliefs.

I recommend, to others who maybe interested, to check out the movie 'Mooz-Lum' on Netflix or Starz. It's written and directed by another fraternity brother, Qasim Basir, about his experience.

Edited by sigma1914, 13 November 2011 - 05:14 PM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

Mooz-Lum was a good movie. This is no in-depth documentary on the American Muslim community of course, but should be fun. And I never watch reality TV, but set this one to record.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've seen a lot of promos for this, and that woman that says "to educate people like you" really turns my stomach. For one, it's a racist comment. Two, I'm not alone when i say that I couldn't give 2 quick squirts about Muslims.

I won't be watching.

And there, in a nutshell, is why so many people the world over dis-like Americans.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

I won't be watching.

Complaining about something being racist wrapped in an extremely prejudiced comment loses all credibility. :nono2:

#8 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

And there, in a nutshell, is why so many people the world over dis-like Americans.

Why? Because I want them to be free to be who they are without having to spend time trying to understand their faith?

My Neighbor is a Methodist. It doesn't hinder our relationship in the least because he goes about his life and I go about mine.

Muslims in this country should be free to practice their religion and live their lives as they see fit. I shouldn't have to adjust my life to accommodate theirs. If I'm a racist, so be it.

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

I'll watch it. I always find learning new things interesting. Hopefully this show will be interesting.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Why? Because I want them to be free to be who they are without having to spend time trying to understand their faith?

My Neighbor is a Methodist. It doesn't hinder our relationship in the least because he goes about his life and I go about mine.

Muslims in this country should be free to practice their religion and live their lives as they see fit. I shouldn't have to adjust my life to accommodate theirs. If I'm a racist, so be it.

The reason your neighbor can go about his life is because there aren't racists preventing it, like there are with Muslims. Muslims often don't have that option. Don't you think they'd prefet to be left alone to practice their beliefs in peace?

So many people forget that Muslim is a religion, not a race.

It's amazing that when a terrorist is Muslim, that's all that is talked about. But when it is a white Christian from Norway, religion is never mentioned.

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,619 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

If some muslim wants to speak his mind and "educate people like us" what's wrong with dualsub2006 speaking his mind?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

Not bad. I'll watch it next week.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#13 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:54 AM

The reason your neighbor can go about his life is because there aren't racists preventing it, like there are with Muslims. Muslims often don't have that option. Don't you think they'd prefet to be left alone to practice their beliefs in peace?.

I actually never said that his whole life is peaceful, just his relationship with me. I've never asked about other's reactions to the color of his skin. I feel it's none of my business.

And I do think that Muslims want to be left alone, that's why I don't bother them. Or the Methodists or the Catholics or the Baptists or anyone else.

So, we agree. Muslims want to be left alone and should be left alone. Not too sure that this show is really gonna help further that goal.

We'll see though, maybe I'm wrong. My daughter used the awesome D* remote scheduling app from school to record it. Maybe I'll watch it with her.

#14 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

If some muslim wants to speak his mind and "educate people like us" what's wrong with dualsub2006 speaking his mind?

Excellent question

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

Each and every day military members die fighting so YOU can live freely,

What they're doing over there has nothing at all to do with anybody over here living free. It's all about money and filling the coffers of the defense contractors.

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

Wow there seems to be a lot of animosity here as I seem to be the only one posting about the show.

It anything, this animosity definitely proves the show is needed.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#17 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

The first episodes recorded at midnight last night (too many conflicts as it is on Sunday night). Will watch later. Sounds like people are commenting here without having seen it.

#18 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

I have no fundamental problem with a show like this...

...but can you imagine a show dedicated to dispelling misconceptions about Christianity? On a mainstream cable channel? A show that non-Christians might call "eye-opening" or "interesting"?

#19 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

I have no fundamental problem with a show like this...

...but can you imagine a show dedicated to dispelling misconceptions about Christianity? On a mainstream cable channel? A show that non-Christians might call "eye-opening" or "interesting"?

Like "19 Kids and Counting?"
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

TV is full of those kind of shows.

spam firewall