Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

All-American Muslim on TLC

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

Wow surprised this thread hasn't been closed. I am not watching because I don't watch any reality TV except the first 48. I don't need to see the trials and tribulations of any family regardless of their religious beliefs. Every family (even those so called 1%) have problems, why highlight one specific group? Why not highlight the Jewish families and their problems of being hated. If any culture has been hated going back to the start of recorded history it's the Jews. I am sure that if there was such a show it would be blasted by all sources of media, why because people hate Jews. I would sympathize more over the Jews than I would Muslims, Ever hear of the Holocaust? 6 million Jews killed just because of their religion, and to this day Muslims say the Holocaust never happened. Sundays at 10 pm I will be watching Dexter or The walking dead, why because that is more entertaining than what some Muslim family is going through. If all American Muslims wanted to capture the true essence of hatred toward Muslims then they should have found a Muslim family in the bible belt and followed them around. I mean really how much adversity does a Muslim family face in Dearborn MI? One of the largest populations of Muslims in this country.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

There are numerous programs on History and other such channels dedicated to the Holocaust and WWII in general. I myself have several on DVD.

#23 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Like "19 Kids and Counting?"

If there were five kids in that Christian family, they wouldn't have a show.

That is, the religion of the family is not the entire point of the show.

#24 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

TV is full of those kind of shows.

...such as...

(I assume you were responding to me?)

#25 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

I am not watching because I don't watch any reality TV except the first 48.

Same here. Add COPS and a couple of other REAL reality shows, not scripted farces.

As to the rest of your post --- History Channel.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#26 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

...such as...

Too many to list.

There are even dedicated channels.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#27 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Too many to list.

There are even dedicated channels.

Okay, then just one or two. I believe you that there might actually be an answer. I just can't think of any myself.

And I said mainstream cable channels, BTW.

#28 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

There are numerous programs on History and other such channels dedicated to the Holocaust and WWII in general. I myself have several on DVD.

That is fine and dandy but that part of my post was to highlight the struggles of the Jewish population of the world, they are and have been hated for centuries and i don't see any shows called all American Jews. Just goes to show the hypocrisy of a show called all American Muslims. :nono:

#29 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

If there were five kids in that Christian family, they wouldn't have a show.

That is, the religion of the family is not the entire point of the show.

I've watched a few episodes and their religious beliefs are constantly highlighted and talked about.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#30 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

I've watched a few episodes and their religious beliefs are constantly highlighted and talked about.

The show is about a family with 19 children. If that family happens to be made up of fundamentalist Christians, obviously that will be part of the show. In other words, if you want to make a show about this family with 19 children, there's no way to get around their religion. Similarly, the show also talks a lot about Arkansas, but it's not a show about Arkansas.

Anyway, even if the show discusses their Christianity, it is not dedicated to "dispelling misconceptions about Christianity."

#31 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Another thread about a TV showed filled with thread crapping. Follow the rules, people. It's just a show, if you don't want to watch it, fine...no one is forcing you. We don't need a diatribe of how hypocritical a show is and what you will be watching.

Rules: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=108397
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

The show is about a family with 19 children. If that family happens to be made up of fundamentalist Christians, obviously that will be part of the show. In other words, if you want to make a show about this family with 19 children, there's no way to get around their religion. Similarly, the show also talks a lot about Arkansas, but it's not a show about Arkansas.

Anyway, even if the show discusses their Christianity, it is not dedicated to "dispelling misconceptions about Christianity."

Well, this show is trying to dispell misconceptions. So what? If you feel there needs to be a show dispelling misconceptions about Christianity, pitch it to a network. Although, there's clearly more misconceptions about Muslims than Christians.

#33 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Another thread about a TV showed filled with thread crapping. Follow the rules, people. It's just a show, if you don't want to watch it, fine...no one is forcing you. We don't need a diatribe of how hypocritical a show is and what you will be watching.

Rules: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=108397

Just for reference, can you please point out which posts are specifically in violation of the rules? On other message boards, I've found that ambiguity only leads to more problems.

I hope you don't believe my posts were in violation, because I didn't say anything negative about the Muslim show (I don't care about it either way), and all my points were about programming.

#34 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Just for reference, can you please point out which posts are specifically in violation of the rules? On other message boards, I've found that ambiguity only leads to more problems.

I hope you don't believe my posts were in violation, because I didn't say anything negative about the Muslim show (I don't care about it either way), and all my points were about programming.

It's not up to me to determine what violates the rules. It's just disturbing to see people jump on a show because it's focusing on Muslims. Shows focus on all different groups of people...Some do a good job and some don't. It's just weird to me that whenever a show or channel has a focus on a minority, it gets flipped into a "what about {insert group}."

The show isn't about opening people's eyes as much as it's about ratings. Will it succeed? Who knows? Viewers like me enjoy seeing in the lives of others. Sometimes, it has a positive affect and opens someone's eyes and that's a good thing.

Regarding your notion of showcasing Christianity on a major network. What about The 700 Club on ABC Family? Or Joel Osteen on MANY networks?

#35 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

It's just disturbing to see people jump on a show because it's focusing on Muslims.

Agreed.

Viewers like me enjoy seeing in the lives of others. Sometimes, it has a positive affect and opens someone's eyes and that's a good thing.

I'd be more willing to watch it if the promos didn't have a "we're here -- deal with it" attitude. The promos make it look like there's an agenda instead of addressing the topic neutrally.

Regarding your notion of showcasing Christianity on a major network. What about The 700 Club on ABC Family? Or Joel Osteen on MANY networks?

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that those shows are self-produced and aired on a time buy. AFC Family goes out of its way to say that the 700 Club does not represent the net's views. I know because I watch a lot of Whose Line at midnight ET and catch the last two minutes of 700 Club. :)

#36 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I guess I've missed those promos. I just watched a few clips that really peaked my interest. Specifically, the coach and football team with what they endure from opposing teams & fans. (I'm aware of mistreatment towards Christian schools and that's also sickening.) Also, how they deal with Ramadan and not eating or drinking during sunlight...That's physically challenging to an athlete.

Other clips all seem to be a more "this is who we are, we're just like you with everyday life but have different beliefs. We're not all terrorists and hate American." I've also noticed it's like we mentioned earlier about the Duggers..."If that family happens to be made up of fundamentalist Christians, obviously that will be part of the show. In other words, if you want to make a show about this family with 19 children, there's no way to get around their religion. Similarly, the show also talks a lot about Arkansas, but it's not a show about Arkansas." This show is about different families who happen to be Muslim.

Edited by sigma1914, 14 November 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

I wonder what the people lambasting this series thought about The Russian Dolls on Lifetime, another series focusing on an American minority.

#38 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

I'm wondering what the hook will be. Reality TV has always got a hook, some sort of conflict that keeps viewers coming back next week to see what shenanigans are in store. What's the hook on this? If it's about a typical American family who happen to have a different belief system than most Americans, I could see it getting boring pretty fast. I'm sure they'll face their fair share of adversity, but overall I don’t see how this will really draw the viewer in.

I mean, I already exist in a typical American family. Why would I want to watch the same thing on TV?

I hope it does well, we could use an "honest" reality TV show that could possibly open a few eyes, but I really don't see it happening. I also stick by my previous "I'll watch it if I catch it on" caveat.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#39 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Other clips all seem to be a more "this is who we are, we're just like you with everyday life but have different beliefs. We're not all terrorists and hate American."

That's a completely valid point to make, but I really doubt the people who really need to hear that message will watch it, particularly based on the promos. I'm not saying that makes it a pointless show -- I'm just saying that the point has already been made many times in the last ten years. Perhaps there will be something in the show that casts new light on the issue.

This show is about different families who happen to be Muslim.

The show has "Muslim" in the title. The religion of the families is not happenstance. :)

#40 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

I'm wondering what the hook will be. Reality TV has always got a hook, some sort of conflict that keeps viewers coming back next week to see what shenanigans are in store. What's the hook on this? If it's about a typical American family who happen to have a different belief system than most Americans, I could see it getting boring pretty fast. I'm sure they'll face their fair share of adversity, but overall I don’t see how this will really draw the viewer in.

I mean, I already exist in a typical American family. Why would I want to watch the same thing on TV?

I hope it does well, we could use an "honest" reality TV show that could possibly open a few eyes, but I really don't see it happening. I also stick by my previous "I'll watch it if I catch it on" caveat.

I think it's like other TLC reality shows...less over the top BS drama like the Housewives series and Bravo shows...and more laid back. There's multiple families, like a coach and his family, a couple where the woman is Muslim and her fiance is a Catholic converting to Islam, another family who has a baby coming and the husband is like a government agent, and a family with a cop.

It seems more like Little People, Big World and The Little Couple. Make sense? :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...