Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can't get XPS to work with HDTV

dvr

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

I tried to connect my Dell XPS 15 (win7 home) to my TV (Panny P54G25) last night via HDMI. No joy. Neither recognized the other. I tried going through my Pioneer receiver with the same result. Anyone know what settings I might be missing?

It worked once about 6 months ago...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

There is probably a function key to activate the external display.

edit: It should be F8

Edited by klang, 14 November 2011 - 09:46 AM.
more

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

As dumb as it sounds, try right-clicking on the desktop and choosing "Properties" or "Graphics Properties." If your Dell uses the Intel GMA it doesn't always detect an external display until you force it to.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have the same problem with my Mitsubishi 60" DLP and my XPS 17. The XPS works fine on our Samsung in the bedroom, but for some reason it doesn't communicate with the Mitsubishi.

It's the oddest thing, and I've done everything I can think of to force the laptop to register the external display on the Mitsubishi.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

I've tried the external display route - even trying to select 'extended display', 'Projector', 'duplicate display'. Nothing.

I have tried the F1 key (in this case), but the aforementioned modes don't do anything. What's the point of an HDMI out if they haven't figured out how to make it work easily?

After trying on 3 different HDMI sources (2 TVs and av receiver, it seems there is something amiss with the XPS setup. It's quite maddening.

#6 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

Have you checked Dell's support site to see if they have any hardware updates available?

#7 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

If Windows 7 go into the Sound control panel and under playback, make sure that the HDMI device is selected as a default.

You will also need to make sure that once you make the change to close whatever program you have open to view on the TV and reopen.

When you go into the Sound control panel make sure that the TV and the computer are connected.

Hope that this helps.

Michael.

#8 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Has anyone ever used the Intel Wireless Display stuff that's available on the XPS?
It requires the use of a box that connects to your TV/RX via hdmi then the HD signal is passed wirelessly. Like this one...
NETGEAR Push2TV TV Adapter for Intel Wireless Display

#9 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Well, well, well...
I found the problem. I called Dell last night to get a replacement battery for the laptop. I opened the Dell Help Center app and it reported that 5 devices were disabled - one of which was the graphics card. Evidently the power scheme shuts down the graphics card as well as a few other items when in power deprivation mode. Since the battery is nearly useless, it shuts these items off when the power cord is out for more than a few minutes. The wife uses it in the kitchen for recipes and often doesn't plug it in until it shuts off.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...