Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving from DTV to Dish and have DVR questions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sunapee

Sunapee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

I have searched and read several topics regarding the big move. Unfortunately, most threads I found are several years old.

If someone can provide some answers, or point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. I've been with DTV for 25+ years and am finally frustrated enough to make a change.

My current DVR equipment consists of three Series 2 Tivo DVRs that have been hacked with bigger drives and networked, and a DTV HD-DVR that went up in smoke (literally) a few months ago. It may seem like we watch too much TV, but the reality is we don't - but we do like to "Watch what we want, when we want". Two of my three series 2 DVRs simply record most series on the 4 major networks. That way, I never have to worry about scheduling conflicts. The third one records stuff on other channels that we might want to see sometime. All recordings come from the satellite because we have no OTA HD available up here.

We have 2 televisions in the house: 1 HD and 1 HD ready, the latter one is the one that gets watched most often (in analog because our recordings are not HD). That works fine because it is a 32" TV that provides us with a great picture in analog. That said, watching analog on the 50" HD is crappy.

My thinking is that when I switch to Dish I will scale things down to 2 DVRs. From what I understand it will be as simple as using two 722s and having each wired to each television. Then I will be able to watch recording from either DVR on either TV. The compromises I will be making are making sure that there are no scheduling conflicts, and probably tossing some of our existing Season Passes that we never watch anyway.

So, here are my questions:
  • I assume that all recorded shows will be HD, but I will be able to watch them on the analog TV (coax), correct?
  • Will I be able to upgrade the older TV to HD and still use the two 722s in duel mode as TV1 and TV2?
  • Should I consider a 922? From what I can tell it has a bigger drive and Slingbox. Anything else?
  • Is there any integration available for a PC, iPhone, or iPad? (Either setting up shows to be recorded or actually watching them).
  • Can Dish DVRs be hacked? I would be curious about networking the two units as well as increasing the standard buffer.
  • What other considerations are there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sunapee

Sunapee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

OK, I am finding answers to some of my questions.

It sounds like I will be OK upgrading the smaller TV to HD, I will be able to use the RCA cables to is to get my HD aspect ratio but it won't be true HD. Correct?

It also sounds like I can access the 722 or the 922 from the iDevices via Slingshot (built into the 922, and an accessory for the 722).

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Can you explain a little more what you are planning to do? I don't understand why you plan to use RCA cables with 2 HDTVs and 2 HD DVRs (let's call them HDTV1, HTDTV2 and DVR1, DVR2). If it has something to do with using the TV2 output of DVR1 to feed HTDV2 and TV2 of DVR2 to feed HDTV1 to get some sort of MRV, that's certainly possible. But a real HD MRV solution from Dish is forthcoming, so it would probably be best to just wait or simply use and external drive and sneakernet. If there is no need to share recordings between both, you would be better off getting something cheaper than a 722 or 922 since those duo DVR fees can be pretty steep.

You are correct about the sling and widescreen SD over RCA cables.

#4 OFFLINE   Sunapee

Sunapee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

Can you explain a little more what you are planning to do? I don't understand why you plan to use RCA cables with 2 HDTVs and 2 HD DVRs (let's call them HDTV1, HTDTV2 and DVR1, DVR2). If it has something to do with using the TV2 output of DVR1 to feed HTDV2 and TV2 of DVR2 to feed HDTV1 to get some sort of MRV, that's certainly possible. But a real HD MRV solution from Dish is forthcoming, so it would probably be best to just wait or simply use and external drive and sneakernet. If there is no need to share recordings between both, you would be better off getting something cheaper than a 722 or 922 since those duo DVR fees can be pretty steep.

You are correct about the sling and widescreen SD over RCA cables.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered two 722's and they are installing in 2 days!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...