Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Suspect chopped

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

I really liked this show. I'm surprised its ratings were so low. The official announcement of its cancellation has come out. Shame, intelligent, well written, well cast, what more could you ask for in a show?

Rich

Maybe because it had no pervasive story arc? Prime Suspect is more like the old pre-Dallas soap-opera shows that had each episode stand on its own and instead concentrated on telling a crisp story and developing the characters from week to week. Now, it seems, dramas have to be serials to keep viewers coming back--a gimmick that frequently disguises inferior writing, IMHO.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

Maybe because it had no pervasive story arc? Prime Suspect is more like the old pre-Dallas soap-opera shows that had each episode stand on its own and instead concentrated on telling a crisp story and developing the characters from week to week. Now, it seems, dramas have to be serials to keep viewers coming back--a gimmick that frequently disguises inferior writing, IMHO.

Law&Order had no pervasive story arc and it stayed around for quite a while. Never ceases to amaze me how shows that I enjoy get cancelled.

Rich

#23 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

Trh,

I guess I do not understand what you are trying to say. If the network cancels a show, aren't they the one deciding whether you watch it or not? I mean once the network DECIDES to cancel it, the show stops. There are no more new shows. Just because I think a thursday night show is wonderful does not mean I get a choice to watch it every thursday night if the Network DECIDES to cancel it.

I am sorry. I guess I am just confused.

Certainly, once a network cancels a show, you can't watch it any future shows. But there will be at least 13 episodes of this show (NBC officially has said the show isn't canceled -- they are "weighing their options" what to do with the show).

M*A*S*H was almost canceled after their first season. then they got slotted behind "All in the Family" during their second season; the rest is history.

Chicago Code and Detroit 187 are two shows from last season that I really enjoyed -- even after I heard they were being canceled. Whether Prime Suspect gets picked up for future shows on NBC or another network doesn't matter to me. I'm enjoying the shows now.

EDIT: Bottom line: The networks have proven time and time again, that they don't always make the right decisions.

Edited by trh, 16 November 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

Chicago Code and Detroit 187 are two shows from last season that I really enjoyed -- even after I heard they were being canceled.

BINGO!
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#25 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Your logic astounds me, but to each, his or her own as the case may be. If you choose to let others make your viewing decisions for you, so be it, but as stated previously, each epi of Prime Suspect stands alone and Maria Bello is certainly worth my time.

Sorry to see it go.

Well I hope my only "claim to fame" is not just being able to astound Nick. :)

Certainly, once a network cancels a show, you can't watch it any future shows. But there will be at least 13 episodes of this show (NBC officially has said the show isn't canceled -- they are "weighing their options" what to do with the show).

M*A*S*H was almost canceled after their first season. then they got slotted behind "All in the Family" during their second season; the rest is history.

Chicago Code and Detroit 187 are two shows from last season that I really enjoyed -- even after I heard they were being canceled. Whether Prime Suspect gets picked up for future shows on NBC or another network doesn't matter to me. I'm enjoying the shows now.

EDIT: Bottom line: The networks have proven time and time again, that they don't always make the right decisions.

Thanks for the clarification Trh. I completely agree that networks have proven many times that they do not always make the right decisions. I guess with the exception of comedies, my family is more into serialized dramas. We enjoy an over-arching storyline and love to watch the characters change and develop because of it. I guess that is why we love shows like Justified, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc. We enjoy following from a beginning to an end. Makes me miss Lost, 24, Battlestar Galactica, etc.

Again thanks for being patient, and I understand what you are saying now. For those that like a story tied up within an hour, Prime Suspect had an entertaining (though short) run.

For us serialized types (how did Nick say it?) with "astounding logic", it probably was not the type of story for us.

#26 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

We could hope it be pick up by TNT like Southland.

#27 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

For us serialized types (how did Nick say it?) with "astounding logic", it probably was not the type of story for us.

Just tell me that as a "serialized type", you're not anxiously awaiting "Dallas" next summer. :D

#28 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

I am!!!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#29 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

We could hope it be pick up by TNT like Southland.

It sucks that it is cancelled on NBC.:nono2: It would probably do better at TNT, I think?

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

#30 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

Just tell me that as a "serialized type", you're not anxiously awaiting "Dallas" next summer. :D

Ouch! No, I think we will skip that one. LOL ;)

#31 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 884 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

The episodes were getting better.

Too bad for Kenny Johnson he got blown up in SOA ( he was also blown up in the Shield ) and now his new show is cancelled.

#32 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

I liked those two too. Also The Cape.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#33 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

The episodes were getting better.

Too bad for Kenny Johnson he got blown up in SOA ( he was also blown up in the Shield ) and now his new show is canceled.

I hope no one who reads this thread has not seen the recent episode of SOA cause that is quite the spoiler..

Prime Suspect is a great show sorry to see it go. Most shows that tell a different story each week usually have a season finale that ends with a to be continued, I hope that is not the case with Prime Suspect.

#34 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hadn't watched any of them yet and too many other shows on the DVR. No need to invest my time in this one now. Delete.

To bad you are going to delete without watching. It is a good show and each episode is pretty much stand alone so nothing is lost by watching this show even if cut short by NBC. It is almost like not watching a movie because it will not have a hundred sequels.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#35 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

If you like the show, why not at least continue to watch the remaining episodes? I know I will continue to enjoy them while they last.

This is one of those cop shows that doesn't need an 'ending' to be good. Each episode stands on its own pretty well. So I will keep it in my timers until it is gone.

I'm sorry to see this one go, it was developing nicely imo.

So those that aren't watching it because the network canceled it are basically letting the networks decide what is worthy and what isn't. I've seen to many great shows get canceled; no way am I letting the networks decide.

Your logic astounds me, but to each, his or her own as the case may be. If you choose to let others make your viewing decisions for you, so be it, but as stated previously, each epi of Prime Suspect stands alone and Maria Bello is certainly worth my time.

Sorry to see it go.

To bad you are going to delete without watching. It is a good show and each episode is pretty much stand alone so nothing is lost by watching this show even if cut short by NBC. It is almost like not watching a movie because it will not have a hundred sequels.

I intend to keep watching this show too and I agree with the quotes above. I much prefer shows where each episode stands on its own.

Thanks for the heads-up. Deleted from the DVR.

You just missed some good hour long stand on their own shows.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#36 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,476 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

As I said, too many other shows. I rarely start watching new shows until I know they've been picked up, then I watch them over the summer. I'm sure every show that gets cancelled is liked by someone and it's not about story arcs, it's about investing in the characters.

But, even fewer shows now. I told my wife to go ahead and delete all of the shows, because it was cancelled and she deleted the season of Unforgettable instead.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   Castlebill

Castlebill

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

It's a good show - she's great.
HR21-200 HDMI to 50" Panasonic Plasma
HR20-700 to 50" Panasonic Plasma
HR21-700 to 26" Vizio
HR21-100 to 50" Panasonic Plasma and 2 SD sets
HR22-100 to 50" Panny and SD set
Slimline with Zinwell WB616

#38 OFFLINE   50+

50+

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

Really liked the show sorry to here about the cancellation.
Bellow is great, hope she gets another show.

#39 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

As I said, too many other shows. I rarely start watching new shows until I know they've been picked up, then I watch them over the summer. I'm sure every show that gets cancelled is liked by someone and it's not about story arcs, it's about investing in the characters.

But, even fewer shows now. I told my wife to go ahead and delete all of the shows, because it was cancelled and she deleted the season of Unforgettable instead.

Another good show.....

I don't get the investing in the characters thing. I watch for the plot, not the characters. A Lot of the shows I watch and like I could not tell you who stars in them since I don't care I care about the story for that episode.

They do have to fit the Story line of course if Big Bang Theory's girl across the hall had been played by Big Bertha I most likely would not be watching it.
Unplug Kaley Cuoco and plug in some other good looking woman and it is still good.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#40 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,476 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

And I don't watch shows for the attractiveness of the cast.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...