Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Suspect chopped

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

I have to agree, the last show was good.

Darned shame about the cancel, however Life will go on.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,708 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have to agree, the last show was good.

Darned shame about the cancel, however Life will go on.

Actually, NBC cancelled "Life" in 2009 at the end of Season 2 as a casualty of both the writers' strike and being on NBC, a show with a great cast that was well-written which my wife and I really liked:

Posted Image

The stars were Damian Lewis (currently starring in "Homeland" on Showtime), Sarah Shahi (currently starring in "Fairly Legal" on USA returning this Summer), and Adam Arkin (probably best remembered as Dr. Aaron Shutt in "Chicago Hope"), along with Melissa Sagemiller (currently the ADA in "L&O: SVU" and Robin Weigert (probably best remembered as Calamity Jane in "Deadwood").

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#53 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Damian Lewis was also in the funny hit man / romantic comedy Assassin in Love - aka The Baker a couple years back. It's fairly funny and a good couples movie, if you and your significant other are looking for something to watch together.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (from the under appreciated New Amsterdam) is also in the movie.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#54 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Really disturbing to see Unforgettable "on the bubble" while Prime Suspect, with a far superior cast and better story lines has been cancelled. Without Poppy, I would find Unforgettable very forgettable.

Rich

Actually, she's the reason I am not fond of the show. I find her character annoying, arrogant, condescending and far too full of herself. And I intensely dislike her fake red hair.

I like the rest of the team a great deal. And the story lines are okay.

For some reason, I don't mind that same sort of "bitchiness" in Dana Delaney's character over on Body of Proof.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,797 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Actually, NBC cancelled "Life" in 2009 at the end of Season 2 as a casualty of both the writers' strike and being on NBC, a show with a great cast that was well-written which my wife and I really liked [...]

We really liked Life as well, along with Studio 60, which got canceled a year earlier, IIRC. We'll mourn Prime Suspect as well.
/steve

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

Actually, she's the reason I am not fond of the show. I find her character annoying, arrogant, condescending and far too full of herself. And I intensely dislike her fake red hair.

Yup, I do too, but she is physically attractive and I've got a feeling that her character is the result of poor writing.

I like the rest of the team a great deal. And the story lines are okay.

Compared to Prime Suspects cast? I keep waiting for Christian Troy to show up...:lol:

For some reason, I don't mind that same sort of "bitchiness" in Dana Delaney's character over on Body of Proof.

We gave up on that show. Just didn't seem like it was gonna make it.

Rich

#57 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

Adam Arkin (probably best remembered as Dr. Aaron Shutt in "Chicago Hope")

My favorite role of his will always be as Adam - the extremely volatile recluse / master chef / know-it-all / compulsive liar on "Northern Exposure"! :hurah:

#58 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

I still a darned shame, I just watched this weeks episode. One of the few things I've watched recently where I didn't skip past slow parts.

#59 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

I am a little surprised about Prime Suspect getting cancelled. It did not seem that high over America's heads. Kind of like a Burn Notice for network tv. I guess that does not fair well for Human Target either.

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

I still a darned shame, I just watched this weeks episode. One of the few things I've watched recently where I didn't skip past slow parts.

Harder and harder to understand, isn't it?

Rich

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

I am a little surprised about Prime Suspect getting cancelled. It did not seem that high over America's heads. Kind of like a Burn Notice for network tv. I guess that does not fair well for Human Target either.

Stupidest cancellation of the year. We ought to give awards to the people responsible for cancelling shows like Prime Suspect, unpleasant awards.

Rich

#62 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Stupidest cancellation of the year. We ought to give awards to the people responsible for cancelling shows like Prime Suspect, unpleasant awards.

Rich

Agreed. Prime Suspect is a hell of a lot better than the crap that the networks leave on and keep renewing.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#63 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Agreed. Prime Suspect is a hell of a lot better than the crap that the networks leave on and keep renewing.

I considered making a list of worse shows, but I'd get flamed.

It just kills me that Unforgettable got renewed or will be renewed and Prime Suspect goes down forever. I figured I'd pick out a show to criticize that I can at least watch. Poppy being Poppy..... :lol:

Rich

#64 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

Unfortunately, the viewing public voted with their clickers and Prime Suspect lost. If more people had watched, it would have been renewed.

I'm a bit surprised, I thought NBC's new programming team would have given a few of this season's shows some extra time to see if they could build an audience, but they've most of the new fall lineup. They've also been signing deals left and right for new shows, so they seem anxious to bring in their own new series.

Phrelin is pretty down on NBC right now and I tend to agree with him. THere's a big chunk of the viewing public that have just about written off the network in prime time and don't even both to look at what might be on NBC. It's going to be really difficult for them to rebuild the network if they just keep launching and canceling shows so quickly.

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

Unfortunately, the viewing public voted with their clickers and Prime Suspect lost. If more people had watched, it would have been renewed.

I'm a bit surprised, I thought NBC's new programming team would have given a few of this season's shows some extra time to see if they could build an audience, but they've most of the new fall lineup. They've also been signing deals left and right for new shows, so they seem anxious to bring in their own new series.

Phrelin is pretty down on NBC right now and I tend to agree with him. THere's a big chunk of the viewing public that have just about written off the network in prime time and don't even both to look at what might be on NBC. It's going to be really difficult for them to rebuild the network if they just keep launching and canceling shows so quickly.

I don't have any idea how to implement this, but I think DVR usage should be factored in for longer periods of time. I record many series and don't watch them until they run the Season Finale. I'm sure many other DVR users do the same thing. If I recall correctly, Phrelin said a few months ago that DVR usage was only counted for a week or so. I don't think that's long enough. We just happened upon Prime Suspect by chance, normally with a cancellation such as this we would have wiped out the Series Link and never had seen the show.

Somehow, the long term DVR recordings should be factored in.

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 684 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

Somehow, the long term DVR recordings should be factored in.

The advertisers are the ones that care about ratings, and I don't think the advertisers give a crap about some viewing that may occur in the undefined future. They want eyeballs on their ads soon enough for their ads to have an effect. December "Toyotathon" or Best Buy "Black Friday" ads don't have much meaning in June...
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

The advertisers are the ones that care about ratings, and I don't think the advertisers give a crap about some viewing that may occur in the undefined future. They want eyeballs on their ads soon enough for their ads to have an effect. December "Toyotathon" or Best Buy "Black Friday" ads don't have much meaning in June...

Yup, that's why I said I didn't have any idea how to implement counting DVR usage. Maybe it's just not possible using your scenario.

Rich

#68 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I believe DVR/On-Demand viewers are measured two ways, "Live+2", or within 48 hours of original broadcast and "Live+7", with the Live+2 number being the most commonly used measure in the industry.

#69 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I agree that it is better than Unforgettable, but after just watching the original Prime Suspect on PBS all summer, fall and ongoing now, this show is nothing like Helen Mirren's version. Even though the original is almost 20 years old, it is still way better than this version. I noticed that we all liked the episode with all the shooting action, but some of the others have been pretty boring in my opinion.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#70 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

I agree that it is better than Unforgettable, but after just watching the original Prime Suspect on PBS all summer, fall and ongoing now, this show is nothing like Helen Mirren's version. Even though the original is almost 20 years old, it is still way better than this version. I noticed that we all liked the episode with all the shooting action, but some of the others have been pretty boring in my opinion.

Thanx, Mom. I'll put the PBS version on my queue in NetFlix, had no idea there was an older version.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I believe DVR/On-Demand viewers are measured two ways, "Live+2", or within 48 hours of original broadcast and "Live+7", with the Live+2 number being the most commonly used measure in the industry.

And I'd guess you're referring to the Nielson way of rating shows. Even if they had a way of saying so many people recorded this show tonight, would that even show up in the ratings? I would imagine they ask the people that are connected to Nielson's ratings software what their viewing habits are. Would they even care about those of us who watch shows much later than seven days?

Makaiguy makes a good point in his post.

Are those of us who don't watch a series until it's done for the year actually detrimental to a show's ratings?

Rich

#72 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

Thanx, Mom. I'll put the PBS version on my queue in NetFlix, had no idea there was an older version.

Rich

The BBC version with Helen Mirren is gritty, dark and moving. I loved it! I originally caught it back around 1997 on Encore's Mystery Channel. I had never heard of it, so I managed to record every one I could find. Then I even purchased one set on DVD. Over the past 5 or 10 years, I catch PBS replaying it, so I always record them again.

It's amazing how you forget about the lack of cell phones and other high tech stuff when the stories and plots and characters are so gripping.

My Setup

#73 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

The BBC version with Helen Mirren is gritty, dark and moving. I loved it! I originally caught it back around 1997 on Encore's Mystery Channel. I had never heard of it, so I managed to record every one I could find. Then I even purchased one set on DVD. Over the past 5 or 10 years, I catch PBS replaying it, so I always record them again.

It's amazing how you forget about the lack of cell phones and other high tech stuff when the stories and plots and characters are so gripping.

I just added all six seasons to my NF queue.

Most of our present Hi-Tech stuff wasn't generally in use in the early '90s and it is interesting to see how folks coped without it. Seems strange to see a desk without a computer on it.

Rich

#74 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,708 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

It's funny. American remakes of Brit shows usually are flops for me. The Helen Mirren version of this show, as I remember it, didn't feel much like this remake - nothing like the "Life on Mars" fiasco.

I really do like Maria Bello's character and the other regular characters portrayed by seasoned actors. The writing has allowed for character development within the routine of a police procedural. I really wish CBS had picked this show instead of "Unforgettable" which to me is just ok.

Regarding the earlier discussion here about ratings, ad agencies and their customers the advertisers, have problems converting data other than live viewers into hypothetical value. Many accept Live+Same Day numbers now. But the industry is still dominated by the mid-20th Century ad agency patterns portrayed in "Mad Men."

TVbytheNumbers offer this explanation regarding Nielsen ratings which in part explains:

Time Shifted Viewing – Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data – Live, Live + Same Day (Live+SD) and Live + 7 Day (Live+7). Time shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs which are currently in approximately 24.4% of all U.S. TV households. Live + Same Day include viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3:00AM local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live+ 7 Day ratings include incremental viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

Network execs try to sell Live+7 Day and some ad agencies do look at the various data on "eyes on ads" from signal provider metering which generates ad skipping data.

Also the business is coping with data from "online" viewing which tends to get scrambled into the web ad viewing data generally rather than TV ad viewing.

It's pretty clear, for instance, that because of its core audience The CW is selling "Live+7 day" and web site viewing. Advertisers marketing to a female 12-29 audience or some subset thereof are forced to be more aware of changing viewing habits. Regardless of any marketing effort by CBS, advertisers know females 12-2 is not an audience that's going to watch "NCIS" live. Fortunately for CBS, it is a 50% owner of The CW giving it access to the shifting habits and interests of young people.

CBS is the only major media company heavily dependent upon broadcast TV. NBCU, Disney/ABC, and News Corp's Fox, along with Time Warner (CBS's partner in The CW and not affiliated with the cable company) all have a significant presence in the cable channel business and on the web.

Since before The Great Recession and the Comcast majority share purchase from GE, NBCU's TV profit growth has come from its cable channels. GE's annual report bragged about the success of the cable channels, while downplaying the failures of NBC. And it's interest in HULU was an investment in the future that might return a profit, someday.

It's unfortunate that "Prime Suspect" and some other quality shows have died on NBC mostly because it can't deliver a prime time 3-hour live audience. Simply if a network can't deliver a habituated audience at 9 pm, it won't have one at 10 pm. Plus it's easiest if it has an 8 pm audience to build on. And by "habituated" I mean take a look at the network's schedules for the next two weeks and see which ones a buying habitual watching for the rest of the season (hint: CBS).

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#75 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

It's funny. American remakes of Brit shows usually are flops for me. The Helen Mirren version of this show, as I remember it, didn't feel much like this remake - nothing like the "Life on Mars" fiasco.

I wonder what would happen if they redid Steptoe & son here again without Red Foxx.
I didn't really care for Steptoe but did watch Sanford and son.

Man About the House in the UK = Threes' Company here.
Sequel
George and Mildred in the UK = The Roper's here.
Sequel
Robin's Nest in the UK = Three's a crowd here.

When you watch Man About the House's first episodes you have basically watched three's company's first episodes.

The American remakes are funny but having seen both I preferred the "Man About the House" episodes as being funnier.

http://en.wikipedia....About_the_House

Edited by TBoneit, 29 December 2011 - 03:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...