Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Suspect chopped

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

Just watched the latest episode. Best one so far. Damn shame to see this show cancelled. I usually record series in their entirety and watch them all at once, but we got caught up in this excellent show and never thought it would be cancelled.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

And I don't watch shows for the attractiveness of the cast.

Don't let that hold you back. Maria Bellow, although in my opinion a very nicely attractive woman when she wants to be, is definitely toned down in this program to look more like a working cop.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#43 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

Add me to the list of people disappointed to hear it's being cancelled. My wife and I really enjoy this show and I have to think it would be doing well if on any other network. It's exactly the same kind of scripted cop-drama that draws huge numbers on CBS (but better executed than CSI IMHO) but for some reason can't find a larger audience on NBC.

#44 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

CBS seems to have always portrayed itself as the more conservative (read: old-time TV, not political) network, so except for a small number of reality shows, it continues to rely on scripted shows. And its audience knows this is the network to go to for those traditionally well-written, well-acted scripted shows. For that reasons, its demographics tend to skew older. (Although with today's economy, 55 and up is rapidly becoming the demographic with the most disposable income.)

NBC, on the other hand, is just the opposite, pushing for what they consider the hipper, younger demographic that hasn't grown up watching scripted dramas. So when its audience sees such a show on the NBC schedule, they say "Whazzat?" and ignore it. I agree -- Prime Suspect would be a natural for CBS.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

Add me to the list of people disappointed to hear it's being cancelled. My wife and I really enjoy this show and I have to think it would be doing well if on any other network. It's exactly the same kind of scripted cop-drama that draws huge numbers on CBS (but better executed than CSI IMHO) but for some reason can't find a larger audience on NBC.

Puzzling, isn't it? Couldn't ask for a better cast, better writing and yet they're gonna flush it. But NBC is not the only channel that makes these mistakes. In it's first year, The Good Wife almost got canceled. These shows that are "critically acclaimed", yet lack high audience numbers are the shows the nets should hold onto and give them a chance to build an audience.

Rich

#46 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,162 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

Anyone who watched last week's episode (Underwater) is probably wondering why there's no audience for this show. It was excellent, IMHO.
/steve

#47 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

I liked that episode too. I liked the road trip.

Oh well, I'll enjoy while I can. That might even be the only NBC show I'm watching.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#48 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

This show just gets better and better. When I though it could not get better, there was last nights "Gone to Pieces". The interaction between the characters is getting better every week. Some of the squad room banter was hilarious.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#49 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,889 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

That's the problem, shows don't get enough time to get into the groove. Thinking back to the late 80s, Star Trek Next Gen wasn't all that great for two seasons, then really started getting good in the third and lasted 7. Now shows don't get a chance to sometimes get through half a season.

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

That's the problem, shows don't get enough time to get into the groove. Thinking back to the late 80s, Star Trek Next Gen wasn't all that great for two seasons, then really started getting good in the third and lasted 7. Now shows don't get a chance to sometimes get through half a season.

Really disturbing to see Unforgettable "on the bubble" while Prime Suspect, with a far superior cast and better story lines has been cancelled. Without Poppy, I would find Unforgettable very forgettable.

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

I have to agree, the last show was good.

Darned shame about the cancel, however Life will go on.

#52 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,122 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have to agree, the last show was good.

Darned shame about the cancel, however Life will go on.

Actually, NBC cancelled "Life" in 2009 at the end of Season 2 as a casualty of both the writers' strike and being on NBC, a show with a great cast that was well-written which my wife and I really liked:

Posted Image

The stars were Damian Lewis (currently starring in "Homeland" on Showtime), Sarah Shahi (currently starring in "Fairly Legal" on USA returning this Summer), and Adam Arkin (probably best remembered as Dr. Aaron Shutt in "Chicago Hope"), along with Melissa Sagemiller (currently the ADA in "L&O: SVU" and Robin Weigert (probably best remembered as Calamity Jane in "Deadwood").

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#53 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Damian Lewis was also in the funny hit man / romantic comedy Assassin in Love - aka The Baker a couple years back. It's fairly funny and a good couples movie, if you and your significant other are looking for something to watch together.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (from the under appreciated New Amsterdam) is also in the movie.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#54 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Really disturbing to see Unforgettable "on the bubble" while Prime Suspect, with a far superior cast and better story lines has been cancelled. Without Poppy, I would find Unforgettable very forgettable.

Rich

Actually, she's the reason I am not fond of the show. I find her character annoying, arrogant, condescending and far too full of herself. And I intensely dislike her fake red hair.

I like the rest of the team a great deal. And the story lines are okay.

For some reason, I don't mind that same sort of "bitchiness" in Dana Delaney's character over on Body of Proof.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#55 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,162 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Actually, NBC cancelled "Life" in 2009 at the end of Season 2 as a casualty of both the writers' strike and being on NBC, a show with a great cast that was well-written which my wife and I really liked [...]

We really liked Life as well, along with Studio 60, which got canceled a year earlier, IIRC. We'll mourn Prime Suspect as well.
/steve

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

Actually, she's the reason I am not fond of the show. I find her character annoying, arrogant, condescending and far too full of herself. And I intensely dislike her fake red hair.

Yup, I do too, but she is physically attractive and I've got a feeling that her character is the result of poor writing.

I like the rest of the team a great deal. And the story lines are okay.

Compared to Prime Suspects cast? I keep waiting for Christian Troy to show up...:lol:

For some reason, I don't mind that same sort of "bitchiness" in Dana Delaney's character over on Body of Proof.

We gave up on that show. Just didn't seem like it was gonna make it.

Rich

#57 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

Adam Arkin (probably best remembered as Dr. Aaron Shutt in "Chicago Hope")

My favorite role of his will always be as Adam - the extremely volatile recluse / master chef / know-it-all / compulsive liar on "Northern Exposure"! :hurah:

#58 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

I still a darned shame, I just watched this weeks episode. One of the few things I've watched recently where I didn't skip past slow parts.

#59 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

I am a little surprised about Prime Suspect getting cancelled. It did not seem that high over America's heads. Kind of like a Burn Notice for network tv. I guess that does not fair well for Human Target either.

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,355 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

I still a darned shame, I just watched this weeks episode. One of the few things I've watched recently where I didn't skip past slow parts.

Harder and harder to understand, isn't it?

Rich

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

spam firewall