Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Suspect chopped

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

We loved the last two episodes as well. Excellent writing, and the characters really developed over the course of the too short season. Terrific casting, IMHO.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

This show has USAnetwork written all over it. Hopefully they will pick it up where it leaves off.

#83 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

If not USA at least TNT or even FX ,this show was very watchable and good cast.

#84 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

What prime time show hasn't NBC cancelled quickly?

OTOH I didn't' care for the start of Grimm, It was a slow evening so I watched one the other night and it was much improved. Too little, to late?

We've been pretty much ignoring Grimm. Not deliberately, but no one has said, "Let's watch Grimm."

Rich

#85 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

I watched the first two episodes of Prime Suspect and liked it. I was stockpiling episodes to view later when my DVR died. I'm so happy DirecTV has no way to transfer saved content to the replacement DVR.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#86 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

I watched the first two episodes of Prime Suspect and liked it. I was stockpiling episodes to view later when my DVR died. I'm so happy DirecTV has no way to transfer saved content to the replacement DVR.

Don't feel like you're alone. We've been asking to have all HRs read all HDDs within an account for years. Apparently D* feels that not enough people care about this and have done nothing about it.

Rich

#87 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Are we killing these shows with our dvr's?
It seems like this sites population is generally disappointed with most of the cancellations. Is it possible that the dvr using public is having an adverse affect on the ratings of these shows?

#88 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

It seems like this sites population is generally disappointed with most of the cancellations. Is it possible that the dvr using public is having an adverse affect on the ratings of these shows?

Most definitely. You'd think Neilson or whoever they get the ratings from would include "What did you record". Right now, they only track recordings for a week. At least that's what I've gleaned from many posts about this.

Rich

#89 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Forgive me for this long response, but it is a matter that I feel strongly about.

The reality is "Prime Suspect" wasn't being watched live by many in the 18-34 male demo.

As of 2012, advertisers love shows that draw age 18-34 males watching live commercials. Apparently they are now the hardest to find watching broadcast TV in prime time. And they are deemed more easily influenced by advertising. If you watch the syfy/fantasy genre shows now on such as "Once Upon a Time" and "Alcatraz" you may have noted that ads from the gaming universe are appearing more and more frequently.

Look at the cast in "Prime Suspect" and try to figure out which member was hired to appeal to age 18-34 males. (Yes it matters what the cast looks like and if you don't care you aren't among the group that will determine whether a show will survive - get over it even though I haven't.) Look at the recurring story lines and try to figure out how it will appeal to the average age 18-34 male. (Yes, complex scripts with emotion-filled relationships are death to a show on broadcast TV - get over it even though I haven't.)

The fact that a Nielsen household DVR's a show is in the data available to those that pay for data - namely the channels. But they tell Nielsen what reports they will pay for and right now only live viewing, live+same day, and live+7 days are of any interest. That's because they use this info to peddle their advertising time to advertisers.

If you occasionally watch PBS you'll note that some advertising is appearing. These advertisers are unusual in that the company's executives want to be associated with production value quality.

Most other advertisers have different goals that are simple - they want to know (a) if you watch their ads and (B) if you do you might be influenced by the ads. And because of the latter issue, it makes the choices disturbing IMHO. If you have reached the age of 50 they don't give a crap about whether you watch the show, the ads, or the sunset out the window (which means my wife and I wouldn't be considered worth anything by most high-paying prime time advertisers).

The channel folks try to use live+7 days data to help sell to advertisers. Advertisers are telling them that data isn't worth much because all the evidence indicates DVR viewing means skipped advertising.

So here in our home we are old and watch everything via DVR and mostly at least a day or two after it was recorded. We are in a demo that if we didn't exist it would not matter for broadcast TV. But....

We pay for higher tier cable packages and premium channel packages to get decent programming. That money flow a few years ago caught the attention of News Corp (Fox), Disney (ABC), NBCU (NBC) and CBS (which is also half owner of The CW). Hence all the retransmission fee negotiations and Fox basically eliminating all affliliates where the owner would agree to pay them $1 a month per cable/satellite subscriber.

That's the way the TV biz is in 2012.

TVbytheNumbers has a very good and a somewhat entertaining analysis of all this at Numbers 102 and they have retained the dry explanation Numbers 101.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#90 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

I can't see how unless you are one of the few Nielsen homes
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...