Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to get DirecTV upstairs

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brit_In_NY

Brit_In_NY

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hi All,

I was looking to add a receiver in our home office on the second floor of our home. Only problem is I don't have any coax run up there.

Can I pull a single RG6 Coax from my SWiM in the basement to a 2nd SWiM in the attic and allow for future receivers upstairs without the need to pull more cable?

Or, should I pull multiple runs of RG6 now and plug them all into the SWiM in the basement?

I think my current SWiM has 5 ports.

Thanks,
Mark

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

:confused: not sure what you mean.

You can't cascade a SWiM off another SWiM, but you can split the SAT feeds to more than one, or upgrade to a SWiM-16, or...
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Brit_In_NY

Brit_In_NY

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear in my original post. I guess the question should have been a generic 'how would you get directv to upstairs with no cable pulls.

From what you've said oldschool it sounds like I could split the single feed that's coming from the dish into two feeds - one would go to a SWiM in the basement and another could go to a SWiM in the attic?

Then I could run to bedrooms etc. from the SWiM in the attic.

Does that sound right?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear in my original post. I guess the question should have been a generic 'how would you get directv to upstairs with no cable pulls.

From what you've said oldschool it sounds like I could split the single feed that's coming from the dish into two feeds - one would go to a SWiM in the basement and another could go to a SWiM in the attic?

Then I could run to bedrooms etc. from the SWiM in the attic.

Does that sound right?

If you have a single feed, the SWiM is in the LNB, and you can split it "enough times" to feed up to eight tuners [DVRS have two].

Maybe explaining more of what you have would help everyone to understand what you mean, as you're using "SWiM" where it doesn't sound like you should be.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Brit_In_NY

Brit_In_NY

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

I will look at the current setup when I get home tonight.......

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

I will look at the current setup when I get home tonight.......

That would help as there are many ways to feed rooms/receivers:

Posted Image
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Brit_In_NY

Brit_In_NY

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

Oldschool, your picture jogged my memory - I think I am mistakenly calling that green thing in the middle a SWiM. Other than that I have the other components in your diagram except the DECA. I currently only have a single HR24

Attached Thumbnails

• sat1.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

If your setup is a SWiM LNB dish with a SWiM compatable splitter then all you would need is run 1 coax up to the other room and feed it off the 1st splitter

though you might see about getting a smaller splitter as the more it splitts the weaker it gets

and be sure if the PI is on the out side of the splitter that it goes to the red connector (or better put the PI on the dish side of the splitter)

the SWiM LNB supports upto 8 tunners without needing anything more than splitters and the PI

Edited by DarkLogix, 16 November 2011 - 04:02 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Oldschool, your picture jogged my memory - I think I am mistakenly calling that green thing in the middle a SWiM. Other than that I have the other components in your diagram except the DECA. I currently only have a single HR24

Gotcha. The green thing in the middle is a splitter.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Brit_In_NY

Brit_In_NY

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

I appreciate everybody's patience...could I do something like I've attached? Please excuse the crudity of this image, I didn't have time to draw it to scale or to paint it.

Attached Thumbnails

• sat2.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Yes but you only need one PI (power injector) to power the SWiM/LNB
and I'd use a 2way in place of the 1st 4way

and if you only go to 2 recivers then just 1 2way would do it

Attached Thumbnails

• sat2.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

I appreciate everybody's patience...could I do something like I've attached? Please excuse the crudity of this image, I didn't have time to draw it to scale or to paint it.

There are somethings wrong in that, but if the real question is "can I use a splitter downstream from another?", yes, if the distances aren't too long and the splitters aren't too large.

A four way can be split downstream with a two way "in most cases", but a four way feeding another four way, means the distances just be VERY short.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Yes but you only need one PI (power injector) to power the SWiM/LNB

I'd go more on the "no" side because two 4-ways means you have less than 100' dish to farthest receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

ment in side (ie so the IRD port would connect to the in port of the first splitter) would be better than having it after the splitter (just so to simpilify things so he don't have to worry about the red port, though thats eassy enough)

also why I noted to trim down to a smaller splitter if possible

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

Why don't you call DirecTV and order a new receiver (and maybe MRV) and have them install it? It is an easy install for you but chances are that if you have an installer come out, you'll get a new receiver. If you just have DirecTV send you a unit for you to do the work, the odds increase you'll get a refurbished unit. Not 100% guaranteed you'll get new equipment with the installer, but it seems that the installers are getting new equipment; units shipped from DirecTV aren't always new. Just a thought. (and it depends on how you feel about new vs refurbished equipment).

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

This wouldn't be too different than my earlier setup:

sat2.png

Also note the splitter positions can be reversed too.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Heres what I was describing
if the LNB is not green labeled then just to cover my bases I'd put a BSF inbetween the 2way and the PI
but as you have a HR24 I doubt that would be relivent

Attached Thumbnails

• Sat-setup.png

#18 OFFLINE   Brit_In_NY

Brit_In_NY

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

veryoldschool: how right you are...I just turned your config upside down.

Darklogix: I think you have it just how I want to set it up.

trh: Any idea if DirecTV would fish a coax from the basement to the attic inside the house or would they just run a wire outside the house between floors?

Thanks all for your input.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

I was looking to add a receiver in our home office on the second floor of our home. Only problem is I don't have any coax run up there.

If you're going to lease the new receiver, DIRECTV will install it all for you. Unless you buy the receiver outright (relatively uncommon), there is no financial benefit to DIY. DIY or professional installation, you pay $6 more per month for the receiver and your programming commitment will be extended.

The one benefit to DIY is that you get to run the cable the way you want. DIRECTV will run the cable outdoors unless special arrangements ($$) are made.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

trh: Any idea if DirecTV would fish a coax from the basement to the attic inside the house or would they just run a wire outside the house between floors?

The one benefit to DIY is that you get to run the cable the way you want. DIRECTV will run the cable outdoors unless special arrangements ($$) are made.

From what I've read here, and as harsh also pointed out, fishing a wire through the wall is usually considered "custom" is not considered a standard installation and costs extra money. How much will depend on your installer.

But you could run your own coax and just have the installer hook up your (most likely) new equipment. I only offered this idea because from all the posts here, installers seem to always have new equipment; if you order the box from DirecTV, you will most likely get a refurbished unit.

spam firewall