Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'Munsters' remake pilot ordered by NBC

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

I will watch it because of Bryan Fuller his Pushing Up Dasies and Dead Like Me were great shows that died too soon. I would like to see what kind of quirky take Fuller will bring to The Munsters.

I was instinctively bashing this announcement until I saw this. Dead Like Me was television at its finest. Quirky, emotional, gruesome, hilarious -- DLM had it all.

If The Munsters has any of DLM's flavor, I'll be checking it out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Pushing Daisies was not quite my style, and so I'd be ok skipping this one.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

On a hopeful note, it could be like the 2004 Battlestar Galactica was a darker, more complex reboot of the fairly cheesy late 70s version, or like this year's Once Upon a Time is a re-imagining of classic fairytales.

These guys are good and they take risks. Give 'em a chance to actually write an produce something before condemning them.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#24 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,684 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

NBC is buying scripts and/or pilots for anything and everything. Think of a twist on a old TV show, and you too may be able to make a few bucks.

How about the life of a forum mod? Would they buy that?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#25 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

Pushing Daisies was not quite my style, and so I'd be ok skipping this one.

I liked Pushing Daises. It was off the wall, but it had a nice cuteness to it.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#26 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

How about the life of a forum mod? Would they buy that?

The events that took place on some threads a few days ago might make for a mini series on what you suggest.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#27 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

I'll watch if they bring back the Munster Koach and Dragula

Attached Thumbnails

• koach and dragula.jpg

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

I will try it for sure but three letters will screw it up: NBC. Because of that, it will fail and I won't give it much thought. But I liked the original and will give it a shot. I want to see NBC succeed, I do, but with all there cancelizations and dropping good shows, I haven't given NBC a shot for at least 2 years now. So why should I start, :grin:

Either that, or it will somehow be really, really good and they'll cancel it anyways.

No, two words, as cj9788 and balboadave said: Bryan Fuller. I'd watch even if he were remaking a used-car commercial.

I have no idea who that is. If it's the director, I never pay attention to who directs a show. Or produces it. Or writes it.

On a hopeful note, it could be like the 2004 Battlestar Galactica was a darker, more complex reboot of the fairly cheesy late 70s version,

Another one I've never watched because of the darker, more complex treatment.

Same with the Batman movies. Darker, less campy doesn't mean better.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#29 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

Same with the Batman movies. Darker, less campy doesn't mean better.

Yes, different does not mean better, BUT at least in the case of Batman, the movies were more true to the comics that spawn them than the TV show ever was. That aside, for the most part, I agree with you. Changing it just to change it ruins the whole nostalgia factor!
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#30 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Wonder what would happen if NBC just took all the good shows it has one USA and ran them on NBC where they would get a much larger potential audience. It is funny I watch 1 show on NBC and probably 6 on USA. I'd also recommend what is on SciFi but I think all the good shows are gone from it now. IIRc didn't they show 1 or 2 episodes of BSG on NBC when it first started to get more people exposed to it?

Seems like they are just grasping for straws now, might be better to go full reality shows all night every night. For some reason plenty of people seem to like them.

#31 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

I have no idea who that is. If it's the director, I never pay attention to who directs a show. Or produces it. Or writes it.

To each his own. If there is a show I really like I find out who created/produced it to see if there are any other works that I may have missed. In Bryan Fullers case Dead Like Me is what opened my eyes to his creative mind, I started to watch Hero's and Pushing Up Daises because Bryan Fuller had a part in their production.

In the 70's/80's when I was just a kid if it was a Norman Lear production or a Witt/Thomas/Harris production I knew it was going to be good and I was seldomly let down.

#32 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

NBC is buying scripts and/or pilots for anything and everything. Think of a twist on a old TV show, and you too may be able to make a few bucks.

OK, A remake of "My Mother the Car"

This time it's an electric car (NBC loves green)
And in a hilarious twist his uncle is an electric chair (voice like Paul Lynde)
You can keep the change

#33 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

OK, A remake of "My Mother the Car"

This time it's an electric car (NBC loves green)
And in a hilarious twist his uncle is an electric chair (voice like Paul Lynde)

Now that's a show I didn't like. It would take a hell of a lot of special effects to get me to tune in in order to take another look.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Problem for me is that what made The Munsters to me was Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis. I just can't imagine the characters being anyone else.

Being HD B&W would be interesting, but unfortunately there are people that won't watch a movie if it's not color, or silent (and they miss out on a lot). It would cause lower ratings just by that.

#35 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Problem for me is that what made The Munsters to me was Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis. I just can't imagine the characters being anyone else.

Being HD B&W would be interesting, but unfortunately there are people that won't watch a movie if it's not color, or silent (and they miss out on a lot). It would cause lower ratings just by that.

I can see different actors if it is more spooky than humorous, but don't make my tv artsy fartsy French Film b/w. Re-imagine it in color or don't bother me with it.

#36 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Wonder what would happen if NBC just took all the good shows it has one USA and ran them on NBC where they would get a much larger potential audience.

If I remember correctly, a few years ago (2008?) NBC tried this, running Battlestar Galactica on NBC on Saturdays and using Psych and Monk on Sundays. From what I remember, the ratings were bad enough that they killed the experiment fairly quickly.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#37 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

While we are at it why not bring back Mr. Ed

Wilbur......
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#38 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Yes, different does not mean better, BUT at least in the case of Batman, the movies were more true to the comics that spawn them than the TV show ever was. That aside, for the most part, I agree with you. Changing it just to change it ruins the whole nostalgia factor!

I dunno. Did you read the 50s and early 60s Batman comics. Very campy. Batman didn't get dark until the Dark Knight.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#39 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

I dunno. Did you read the 50s and early 60s Batman comics. Very campy. Batman didn't get dark until the Dark Knight.

If you go back to 1939 and the 40's, when Batman first came out, Batman was pretty dark. He got campy when they re-invented him in the 50's and 60's and that led to the TV Show with Adam West which was super campy and still one of my favorite shows ever.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Not John Schuck? LOL
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall