Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can Not Schedule Recordings From One DVR to Another DVR

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   calphin

calphin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

I had Whole Home, additional DVR and upgraded HD receiver today all in different rooms. All setup is fine and working. Except, I was shocked to find that from the main family room DVR you can not schedule recordings on the DVR in another room. That can be done from the HD receiver in another room and any of the boxes can be viewed, and or scheduled via iPad.

But, you can't schedule from the main DVR used. I had planned on that being the case. I guess I saw something about a central playlist of combined DVR recordings. Anyone think that would be something for a software upgrade?

Just seems it would be a feature already there with multiple DVR boxes on the Whole Home service....?

Thanks,

Edited by calphin, 18 November 2011 - 10:05 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Welcome to the club of wanting more MRV Network features.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

You're preaching to the choir calphin.

Until something changes we just have to use those android/iphone/ipad & pc applications or receivers to program the DVRs, or walk into the next room and do it.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   krazyrs

krazyrs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

i would like this feature, but i got to the point and just set it with iphone app rather then try to find it on another box

all 4 of my HDDVRs are running on a HDMI switch to 1 port on my tv,
so its kinda a hassle :lol:
SWiM
HR24-500/HR24-500 - HDMI - Samsung 46" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Dynex 32" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Vizio 19" LED LCD TV
CCK - Charter - 30mbps down/ 4mbps up

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

The problem I currently run into with the apps is they dont let you schedule recordings on OTA channels...over 50% of my viewing is OTA during the season. Makes them at elast 50% useless to me..

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

I had Whole Home, additional DRV and upgraded HD receiver today all in different rooms. All setup is fine and working. Except, I was shocked to find that from the main family room DVR you can not schedule recordings on the DVR in another room. That can be done from the HD receiver in another room and any of the boxes can be viewed, and or scheduled via iPad.

Ya. You can't see another DVR's TO DO LIST or HISTORY either, even if you're sitting at an HD receiver, computer or tablet.

The problem I currently run into with the apps is they dont let you schedule recordings on OTA channels...over 50% of my viewing is OTA during the season. Makes them at elast 50% useless to me..

Ditto. Nomad doesn't recognize OTA recordings either, if you wanted to copy them to a portable device.

And the DirecTV iPad app lists OTA recordings as if they were SAT recordings, so if you have one of each, no way to differentiate which is which without drilling down to see which DVR they were recorded on.
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

I'll take baby steps - like getting DirecTV2PC to see the ToDo & SML of each DVR as it does with the PlayList -- One DVR at a time.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

I'm confused. Are you referring to AM21-based channels as opposed to satellite locals? The latter is easily scheduled via the iPad app, etc.

The Nomad problem with AM21 stuff, by the way, is that it's MPEG-2 not MPEG-4 and clearly that can't be transcoded by Nomad.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

The Nomad problem with AM21 stuff, by the way, is that it's MPEG-2 not MPEG-4 and clearly that can't be transcoded by Nomad.

FWIW, SAT SD is MPEG-2, and Nomad has no problem transcoding it.
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

I'm confused. Are you referring to AM21-based channels as opposed to satellite locals? The latter is easily scheduled via the iPad app, etc.

I'm talking about true OTA recordings through either an HR20, or the AM-21, I am in a DMA where D* does not offer our LiL in HD, so I have to use OTA to get HD locals...none of the remote scheduling/remote viewing items account for OTA, except for Direct2PC, you can watch the OTA recordings. iPad only shows SAT channels, so I can schedule recordings for locals but its the crappy SD locals, which I havent used in years....

spam firewall