Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Skyrim

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

So what does everyone think? I'm on PC, and agree the interface isn't very good, but know that will be changing. I've heard people are already working on that in the community.

Double wielding? Pretty cool!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

I would also like to hear a few opinions. I would buy it for Xbox or ps3 however.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'm having a lot if fun with it, but you do have to know what you're getting into. It's a big game, and unless you use fast travel, a lot of walking. I prefer walking. Lots of little changes from the previous games.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm more of an action type gamer.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

even as a thief, it's pretty actiony.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, there is a lot of action, but these games are basically an entire world. Buying and selling, looting, killing bandits, questing etc. It's a fairly unique type of single player game. Of course once you discover a place, you can fast travel, but half the fun is discovering new places as you travel.

#7 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Have put in a few hours, and totally enjoy it. The world is bigger than Oblivion, at least it seems like it to me...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#8 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Have put in a few hours, and totally enjoy it. The world is bigger than Oblivion, at least it seems like it to me...

I've got 4 or 6 hours in so far, and I agree it seems bigger than Oblivion.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I've been hooked on the series since Daggerfall, and Skyrim doesn't dissapoint, IMO. At least so far, it doesn't.

I haven't tried dual wielding anything yet. I generally play as a thief type player, so I sneak alot, and snipe from afar with my archery skills. I might have to create a brute just so I can run around with two swords hacking to bits everything that stands in my way. :D
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#9 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Alas, I became a Mac owner last year. So PC gaming has slowed down quite a bit. I don't want to spend money just to put Windows on my Mac though Parallels or the like just so I can play games.

I'm hoping Skyrim gets ported to Mac soon. If not I wait for Diablo III

Last new release for me was Dragon Age II.

I had a friend who played Oblivion, and saw the previews/demos of Skyrim and it looks Great.

Edited by woj027, 21 November 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think there are unofficial ports, but I've never heard of them done by Bethesda.

#11 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I've got 4 or 6 hours in so far, and I agree it seems bigger than Oblivion.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I've been hooked on the series since Daggerfall, and Skyrim doesn't dissapoint, IMO. At least so far, it doesn't.

I haven't tried dual wielding anything yet. I generally play as a thief type player, so I sneak alot, and snipe from afar with my archery skills. I might have to create a brute just so I can run around with two swords hacking to bits everything that stands in my way. :D

I started as a Nord warrior type, wearing all heavy armor and wielding a two-handed war axe...did lots of damage! Now, after completing the main quest, I am working on some light armor/archery skills as a thief. Still having fun with it, and I know I haven't even found all of the locations.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)

#12 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

I started as a Nord warrior type, wearing all heavy armor and wielding a two-handed war axe...did lots of damage! Now, after completing the main quest, I am working on some light armor/archery skills as a thief. Still having fun with it, and I know I haven't even found all of the locations.

I haven't even started on the main quest, really. I went (without giving anything away to someone who hasn't played) to the point where you meet the leader of the blades.

From there I moved onto other things. You're looking at the arch-mage of the college, the Guild Master of the thieves guild, the Listener of the dark brotherhood. :) I'll probably move onto the main quest for a little while next, before finishing up some of the other minor quests.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

One suggestion, if you plan on doing the main quest, or at least starting the main quest, do not neglect your archery skills.

#14 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

I hate to ask this, but Bethesda's games have always been crash-happy on PC's in the past.

This one run any better?

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

I have not had issues crashing, except once. However, I will qualify that by saying I'm using a 4gb LAA addon, though Bethesda has said they will do the same thing. I've also replaced a bunch of textures.

#16 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Found a really bad glitch on one of the side quests in Markarth...if you enter the home with the Vigilant in Markarth, make sure you save the game before you agree to enter the home! If it glitches, you will be locked in the house with no way of escape!

Really stunk to lose about an hour of game play...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)

#17 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Did you finish the things that needed to be done inside the abandoned house and it still stayed locked?

Initially I thought I was locked in with no way out, but when I did some exploring, there were some other things to do in the house, and when I agreed to do those, then I got out of the house... (without giving anything away :))

#18 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

Did you finish the things that needed to be done inside the abandoned house and it still stayed locked?

Initially I thought I was locked in with no way out, but when I did some exploring, there were some other things to do in the house, and when I agreed to do those, then I got out of the house... (without giving anything away :))

The vigilant never proceeded into the house, so it glitches there. I never had a chance to do anything else...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)

#19 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

It glitched...I couldn't get out. I did finally kill the Vigilant, but then the entire world had the weird video like I was still in the house, and there was the constant rumbling/booming...only way to get it to end was to reload an earlier save.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Bethesda launched the Creation Kit today, along with a 3gb download of high res textures. Will download tonight while I uninstall all the texture replacers I have installed currently.

Both are PC only of course.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...