Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ABC announces mid-season schedule

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

Okay, here's the plan - tomorrow night at 8:29 pm, 7:29 central we all make absolutely positively sure no one is tuned to ABC. Whatever you do, avoid this channel at all costs - you could burn your eyes out or your brain might even explode.

Don't say you haven't been warned. ;)

At that time, all networks will be running election coverage of the Iowa caucuses.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:15 AM

According to the ABC website, this is what's on at 8:30 tonight:

Attached Thumbnails

• abc.jpg

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

According to the ABC website, this is what's on at 8:30 tonight:

It's just the new version of Bosom Buddies, nothing to fear.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,081 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

But there are some puzzles. "Cougar Town" is missing.

First thing I looked for and it was not there. :(

#25 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Before I left Australia, 7 Network was running promos for GCB and calling it "Good Christian Bitches". They're a little less concerned with being PC there :-)

I love Cougar Town and wouldn't mind the change to "Friends with Beverages". I had to rely on my Apple TV to watch it down there. 7 had the rights to air the show but it didn't catch on. They didn't even give it a shot on their digital subchannels like the networks there tend to do for shows they don't feel will fit on the main channel.

#26 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Brace yourselves... Work It has been cancelled after two episodes.
Another tragedy of epic proportions ;)

And sadly, NBC would kill for the ratings this show got...

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Brace yourselves... Work It has been cancelled after two episodes.
Another tragedy of epic proportions ;)

And sadly, NBC would kill for the ratings this show got...

Man, and I found the show to be hilarious. It's one of the few shows, maybe 3, that I actually was laughing out loud at.

Looks like Cougar Town is coming back after all and they can quit putting their actors on other ABC shows. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Man, and I found the show to be hilarious. It's one of the few shows, maybe 3, that I actually was laughing out loud at.

Looks like Cougar Town is coming back after all and they can quit putting their actors on other ABC shows. :lol:

Yes we laughed out loud also but I knew that "2 Cross-dressing Men, One a Puerto Rican" was never going to survive on broadcast TV. It offends too many sensibilities and to put it after Tim Allen, well I'm not sure his viewers will even carry well into "Cougar Town."

It took a lot of courage for Amaury Nolasco and Benjamin Koldyke to take on those roles and "Work It" had a good cast and comedy writing.

On the other hand, nothing is going to get great ratings opposite "NCIS" and Fox has slated in March to air a new season of "Breaking In" with Christian Slater, Bret Harrison and new series regular Megan Mullally at that sitcom death time slot. Since nobody will remember "Breaking In" very well, it might draw a viewer or two away from "Cougar Town" if Fox promos it well during "AI" and hires some new writers.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Yes we laughed out loud also but I knew that "2 Cross-dressing Men, One a Puerto Rican" was never going to survive on broadcast TV. It offends too many sensibilities and to put it after Tim Allen, well I'm not sure his viewers will even carry well into "Cougar Town."

I have to disagree there. Bosom Buddies was a huge hit in the 80's and it featured 2 cross-dressing men. It lasted several years and launched the careers of several people, one of them being Tom Hanks.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

I have to disagree there. Bosom Buddies was a huge hit in the 80's and it featured 2 cross-dressing men. It lasted several years and launched the careers of several people, one of them being Tom Hanks.

Phrelin is absolutely correct. Cross-dressing men today just isn't acceptable. Referencing "Bosum Buddies" from the '80s isn't a valid comparison because society today is not as accepting of stereotypes and such humor. Political incorrectness and hypersensitivity are the norm these days. Example: All in the Family would NEVER be allowed on TV today.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#31 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hey Vader,

How did those Star Wars burgers taste? Also, how do you feel about the re-release of Star Wars in 3D?

#32 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

Just another way for Lucas to line his pockets. :D

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#33 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,212 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Only Missing and The River will have my attention.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

Phrelin is absolutely correct. Cross-dressing men today just isn't acceptable. Referencing "Bosum Buddies" from the '80s isn't a valid comparison because society today is not as accepting of stereotypes and such humor. Political incorrectness and hypersensitivity are the norm these days. Example: All in the Family would NEVER be allowed on TV today.

If anything today's society is MORE accepting....
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

If anything today's society is MORE accepting....

Not for such television shows that deal with stereotypes like Bosom Buddies or All in the Family did. I'll bet you any amount of money that All in the Family would never be allowed on the air. Blacks, Asians, Poles--just to name a few groups--would be protesting like you wouldn't believe. Charges of racism and bigotry would he rampant.

No, society is far LESS accepting of such humor these days. How sad, too.

#36 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

When I watched All In The Family, my take (mind you I was a LOT younger then) was that the white guy was a jerk. Since I am white, I would guess that the other minority groups you mention would have come away with the same conclusion. It was a sarcastic show, and anyone that understands or recognizes sarcasm would not be protesting at all, they would be cheering.

The problem today is everything is "reality", and I use the word very loosely. I think TV was a lot better when we only had 15 or 20 channels to watch. How many versions of CSI:EVERYWHERE do we really need?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#37 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

No, these groups would be protesting, demanding the show be canceled and network honchos be fired.

You and I might find this kind of humor sarcastic. You and I may realize that Archie Bunker's comments and attitude actually illustrate his ignorance and stupidity, but in today's society, it wouldn't come across as that. It would come across as outright racism and bigotry.

Too many people today can't see the irony in Archie's attitude and comments. Instead, people today are extremely hypersensitive and claim to be victims.

All in the Family and similar shows would not be permitted today.

#38 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

"Huge hit" might be exaggerating things a bit. From the ratings I've found online, it was never a top-20 show and it only lasted two seasons. You may also recall that for the second season they dropped the drag act entirely.

To be fair, the Wiki page notes that the show was moved around the schedule numerous times and may have suffered as a result.

Even on MASH, Klinger eventually gave up the dresses as the joke got old. When Radar left they moved the character into the Colonel's assistant slot and toned him down.

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

No, these groups would be protesting, demanding the show be canceled and network honchos be fired.

You and I might find this kind of humor sarcastic. You and I may realize that Archie Bunker's comments and attitude actually illustrate his ignorance and stupidity, but in today's society, it wouldn't come across as that. It would come across as outright racism and bigotry.

Too many people today can't see the irony in Archie's attitude and comments. Instead, people today are extremely hypersensitive and claim to be victims.

All in the Family and similar shows would not be permitted today.

Unfortunately that is true. On the one hand, some comedians can get away with sarcastic humor even against the Politically Correct crowd. But sitcoms run into rough seas these days.

"2 Broke Girls" is getting crap for its humor but CBS is not only sticking by it, it is allowing the show's multiracial cast and crew to attack back. Of course it helps to have good ratings and not be on a Disney owned network.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#40 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Seriously, how can anyone here believe that a show where the central character called black people "colored" or "negros," referred to Asians as "Chinks," and called Polish people "Polack" (pronounced "Poe-lock" for those who might not know) would be allowed to be on the air today?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...