Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ABC announces mid-season schedule

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Seriously, how can anyone here believe that a show where the central character called black people "colored" or "negros," referred to Asians as "Chinks," and called Polish people "Polack" (pronounced "Poe-lock" for those who might not know) would be allowed to be on the air today?

All in the Family is still on the air today, in reruns. Have not heard any complaints about it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

That's because it's not on nationwide in prime time or even nationwide on a cable channel where the whole country can see it. Consequently, your statement doesn't mean a thing, unfortunately.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#43 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well, if you watch Comedy Central, you will still see sarcastic humor involving minorities. Not network tv though, so probably still doesnt mean anything.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#44 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

You will also see profanity on Comedy Central. That isn't allowed on network TV. When I refer to shows like All in the Family, I refer to them not being permitted on network TV. The same rules don't apply to cable/satellite, for obvious reasons.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#45 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

You will also see profanity on Comedy Central.

Dont know what Comedy Central you are watching, but the one I watch still BEEPS out just about every profanity there is. Most notably, on the two shows I watch Daily Show, and Cobert Report.

#46 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Some shows, probably the later night ones, do have profanity, at least profanity that isn't allowed on the networks. It's the same thing for most cable/satellite channels.

Network TV = nothing racially insensitive, profane, derogatory, etc.
Cable/satellite = some nudity, profanity, etc. OK

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

And keep in mind that ABC, the subject of this thread, is owned by the folks at Disney. I figured someone at ABC thought "Work It" would be a cool, edgy show and slipped it in the schedule because the suits at Disney didn't pay any attention and thought anything with "work" in the title would be good for business.

I'm also sure that if the title of the show had been "2 Crossing-Dressing Men, 1 Puerto Rican", the show wouldn't have gotten to pilot purchase in the Disney organization.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#48 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Seriously, how can anyone here believe that a show where the central character called black people "colored" or "negros," referred to Asians as "Chinks," and called Polish people "Polack" (pronounced "Poe-lock" for those who might not know) would be allowed to be on the air today?

Ummm, you're the one who brought up those examples. My example was cross-dressing men. That's CLEARLY more widely accepted now than it was when Bosom Buddies was on the air in the 80's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#49 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

And keep in mind that ABC, the subject of this thread, is owned by the folks at Disney. I figured someone at ABC thought "Work It" would be a cool, edgy show and slipped it in the schedule because the suits at Disney didn't pay any attention and thought anything with "work" in the title would be good for business.

I'm also sure that if the title of the show had been "2 Crossing-Dressing Men, 1 Puerto Rican", the show wouldn't have gotten to pilot purchase in the Disney organization.

Why do you always have to chime in with "1 Puerto Rican"? The show made no reference to his race, only you do. His race was never brought up, not an issue and not a selling point of the show. Only you are singling in on his race.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#50 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Ummm, you're the one who brought up those examples. My example was cross-dressing men. That's CLEARLY more widely accepted now than it was when Bosom Buddies was on the air in the 80's.

No it's not, unless it's intentionally done as a comedic farce, like in that TV show or in several movies, like Gene Hackman's scene at the end of The Birdcage.

If a show today was on network TV featuring a true transvestite, it wouldn't get as warm a reception, although I submit that it might not face the vitriol that an All in the Family show would face, primarily because it's not politically correct to protest transvestites/gays/etc.

#51 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

Why do you always have to chime in with "1 Puerto Rican"? The show made no reference to his race, only you do. His race was never brought up, not an issue and not a selling point of the show. Only you are singling in on his race.

Pick your story.

• Fox News:

As if dismal ratings weren't bad enough, the show, which aired its pilot episode on January 3, has been receiving a wave of criticism from a Puerto Rican grassroots campaign and GLAAD - the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

• Variety:

Women's advocacy groups and members of the Puerto Rican community have also criticized the show's premise and jokes.

• Huffington Post:

A pair of Puerto Rican members of Congress, Jose Serrano and Nydia Velasquez, issued statements condemning the show and demanding a network apology.

• Or my favorite headline in the Latin American Herald Tribune: ABC Pressed to Apologize for Joke About Puerto Rican Drug Dealers
Yeah, it's only me and my closest friends in the press.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#52 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

See, what did I tell you? Different groups and different people all bitching about the show, demanding apologies, organizing opposition, etc.

Hypersensitivity and political correctness run amuck.

#53 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, if you want to see just how far Archie Bunker would make it today, read this account of the assault on "2 Broke Girls" at the Television Critics Association get together with the networks this week. What had me rolling with laughter was this exchange:

Later in the session, when the reporter persisted in trying to find out whether or not King had made changes to the show at the behest of CBS, King asked the reporter his name (it was Tim Molloy of TheWrap.com). "So you're Irish," King said. "I'm Irish. We've identified your sexual problem."

Being of Irish heritage myself, I found it hilarious but I'm sure some of my uptight relatives would not - older ones because they are "ethnically sensitive" (meaning they're Archie Bunkers) and younger ones because everything just must be politically correct.

Keep in mind that every broadcast network made a presentation to these clowns at the Television Critics Association and instead of dealing with the multitude of economic problems facing broadcast TV, this is what they devoted time to - political correctness.

Apparently the critics don't watch FX, AMC, HBO, Showtime, etc. Oh wait, those are the channels that have all the shows they shower with praise using words like "smart" and "edgy."

At least Archie Bunker was portrayed simply as a bigot which is different from a hypocrite like the critics, by which in this context I mean "a person who pretends to have principles but whose actions belie stated beliefs."

Sorry, I get irked whenever I think about the "politically correct" movement.

My AV Setup

#54 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:31 AM

Too many people in this country are just so damn uptight. Everyone's a victim. People should just loosen up and laugh a little--or a lot--including at themselves. Hell, I do it all the time.

#55 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

No it's not, unless it's intentionally done as a comedic farce, like in that TV show or in several movies, like Gene Hackman's scene at the end of The Birdcage.

If a show today was on network TV featuring a true transvestite, it wouldn't get as warm a reception, although I submit that it might not face the vitriol that an All in the Family show would face, primarily because it's not politically correct to protest transvestites/gays/etc.

I disagree 110%. We live in a day and age where transvestites and transgender people openly walk down the street and nothing happens to them. We also live in a day and age where same-sex marriages take place and there are gays in the military. Our society is FAR more accepting now of a show like "Work It!" than it was "Bosom Buddies" in the 80's and you can't convince me otherwise.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, it's only me and my closest friends in the press.

I don't get where one actor being Puerto Rican has anything to do with anything. We weren't even told he was actually Puerto Rican. The words "Puerto Rican" didn't even come up! For all we know he's Mexican or Cuban or Dominican. And there certainly were NO jokes directed at Puerto Ricans or anything that was funny just because he was Hispanic at all. And really, WHO CARES what race he may or may not be?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

See, what did I tell you? Different groups and different people all bitching about the show, demanding apologies, organizing opposition, etc.

Hypersensitivity and political correctness run amuck.

No, not political correctness. Use the real word, discrimination.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,905 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

Too many people in this country are just so damn uptight. Everyone's a victim. People should just loosen up and laugh a little--or a lot--including at themselves. Hell, I do it all the time.

Maybe that's one reason all the good Mel Brooks movies are older ones. I actually did come across someone that thought he was an anti-Semite because of the jokes in his movies. That really surprised me.

#59 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I disagree 110%. We live in a day and age where transvestites and transgender people openly walk down the street and nothing happens to them. We also live in a day and age where same-sex marriages take place and there are gays in the military. Our society is FAR more accepting now of a show like "Work It!" than it was "Bosom Buddies" in the 80's and you can't convince me otherwise.

In that context, for this show to have been as risky as Bosom Buddies was in the early 80s, shouldn't it have featured actual trans-gendered or cross-dressing characters, rather than just explicitly straight guys dressing up?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#60 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

I don't get where one actor being Puerto Rican has anything to do with anything. We weren't even told he was actually Puerto Rican. The words "Puerto Rican" didn't even come up! For all we know he's Mexican or Cuban or Dominican. And there certainly were NO jokes directed at Puerto Ricans or anything that was funny just because he was Hispanic at all. And really, WHO CARES what race he may or may not be?

If you read my links you would know why there was a big kerfluffle. From The Latin American Herald:

In one scene, a character portrayed by Puerto Rican actor Amaury Nolasco says: “I’m Puerto Rican... I’d be great at selling drugs.”

“That wasn’t a joke, that was an insult and we want an apology,” activist Julio Pabon, one of the organizers of the protest called Thursday by Boricuas for a Positive Image, told Efe.

Thus we end up with reports about Nolasco having to Tweet about it:

Puerto Rican actor Amaury Nolasco says via Twitter that his line suggesting that Puerto Ricans are "great at selling drugs" on the ABC sitcom "Work It" should be seen in a comedic context and that he's always tried to "uphold the positive image of my beautiful island and our people."

"Seems like a few of you felt uncomfortable with a line my character said on #Workit," he wrote Wednesday. "I understand your feelings. The show is a comedy and is meant to be viewed in that context. Soy Boricua de pura sepa. I am proud of our culture and I've always strived to uphold the positive image of my beautiful island and our people in both my career and personal lives. Pa'lante mi gente."

It is irrelevant to me that he's Puerto Rican. That his line referred to "Puerto Rican" was irrelevant to me. But it apparently wasn't irrelevant to others and, though they didn't need it, the others gave ABC/Disney more "you see" reasons to cancel the show.

Cross-dressing sexuality implications was also irrelevant to me. But apparently not to others.

My AV Setup

spam firewall