Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ABC announces mid-season schedule

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

I'll accept the general Wikipedia explanation of PC:

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent.

Wow. To struggle to be politically correct, I have to worry about words in order to minimize the possibility of someone - apparently anyone - taking offense, because I use words related to occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts.

To put it another way, we must placate the fanatics in society - cater to anyone who might find offensive the mention, within the context of gaining some perspective, of their job, gender, race, culture, sexual orientation, religion or other belief or ideological structure, disability or age.

The only safe pronoun to use when referring to another human being is "it" but never with any adjectives. "The suspect was a human. It used a gun." The problem here is who gets to decide when adding any more information might be allowed? The most easily offended person or the person with thickest skin?

Can I say that "gee it's a surprise that the only eligible candidates for President in 2012 in the U.S. - that great Melting Pot - appear to be heterosexual married Christian males raised by white parents and white grandparents?" It's true, you know. Why, one might ask, except can you ask?

Is it wrong to say these words out loud because one or more might offend someone? If it is wrong, we have no way of talking about our politics, society, and culture. And to not be able to use humor to ease the difficulty of talking about these things is downright scary to me.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

I find your use of the word "it" offensive and dehumanizing. That word has been used to justify the wanton slaughter of millions of unborn babies and to justify the slaughter of millions of Jews and others in the Holocaust. Once you use "it" to refer to a human, you relegate that human to something less than human and can therefore use it as an excuse to do what you want with said "human."

There, have I covered "it" enough? ;)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#83 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

I disagree 110%. We live in a day and age where transvestites and transgender people openly walk down the street and nothing happens to them. We also live in a day and age where same-sex marriages take place and there are gays in the military. Our society is FAR more accepting now of a show like "Work It!" than it was "Bosom Buddies" in the 80's and you can't convince me otherwise.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

"Work It!" was horrendously unfunny. If it was "offensive" and funny, it would still be on TV. (I expect "Rob" to fail to be funny as well because, well, Rob is not funny at all. But we'll see.)

2 Broke Girls routinely manages to offend TV critics and some small number of humorless Asians, Eastern Europeans and their self-proclaimed defenders (and perhaps even Williamsburg hipsters). But the stereotyped characters on it are actually humorous most of the time and in their own strange way are loveable.

#84 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Do you even read all of my posts, or just the ones you decide to selectively critique? Anybody with reading comprehension can see pages ago that I brought up the example of All in the Family and have been alluding to it since then. It serves as a classic example of a character who frequently used off-color remarks, bigoted language, etc. This illustrative theme has been consistently present in my line of discussion here. I can't help it if you can't don't want to see that.

Dude, you have so many issues, I don't even know where to begin.

Yes, you mentioned All in the Family at some point, but then the conversation CHANGED (as often happens in forums) and you began to talk about the definition of discrimination and politically correct (with no context of TV) in general. It had nothing to do with All in the Family and that was never mentioned again - until you decided to try and state that your use of a derogatory word was in reference to something a TV character (that you had alluded to several posts earlier) might have said, even though the conversation was no longer about that.

Seriously, read your posts. I don't know if you're trying to backpedal or what (and don't really care), but you clearly did not write what you think you did.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#85 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

I did, indeed, but I cannot help someone who lacks reading comprehension.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#86 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

I find your use of the word "it" offensive and dehumanizing. That word has been used to justify the wanton slaughter of millions of unborn babies and to justify the slaughter of millions of Jews and others in the Holocaust. Once you use "it" to refer to a human, you relegate that human to something less than human and can therefore use it as an excuse to do what you want with said "human."

There, have I covered "it" enough? ;)

Hmmmm. Well, golly, I guess there is no safe politically correct pronoun. Do you think anybody has dreamed up a substitute for the he/she dilemma? :D

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#87 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Dunno :shrug:

#88 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

It is also always about context. The issue really lies in people today letting kids watch shows they have no business watching before they are taught about context and can actually truly understand when something is contextually meant to be a joke based on stereo types vs something that can actually be offensive if not used in the right context in general conversation.

An adult with a brain won't take any offense to work it IMHO because they will see it for what it is, using (mostly old) stereo types to create a funny situation for entertainment on TV! Not that it is an actual commentary on what people should think, and influence anyone into knowing or understand anything to do with stereo types.

Just because a character says something on a tv show doesn't mean its meant for anything more than entertainment anymore than something written on the internet.

People complain because they think a show influences people to reinforce stereo types. If that's the case, they need to worry far more about why those people are so easily influenced by anything they watch on TV in the first place, and realize the real problem is people all to long ago stopped thinking they need to filter what their kids see in terms of entertainment until they have reach the maturity level to understand the difference between entertainment and reality. I get so annoyed every time I see parents bring their little kids to r rated movies to 10pm shows on a Saturday night. Unfortunately that goes hand in hand with the big entitlement problem with people today, as well as the complete lack of discipline that to many parents are afraid of for fear of crushing their child's little ego.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...