Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 will not download new guide automatically

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SandyG3

SandyG3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

Just started a month ago.
Dish 922.
S115xamd
1333xamd
Single mode.

Every Sunday I have to hard reset the receiver to have it download the guide. Pointing at 110/119/129 with no signal issues. Any ideas? Software bug? Its a minor annoyance.

Seems like its only downloading a weeks worth of the guide at once.

Thank everyone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

I personally don't know of any online reference that fully explains the Dish method of downloading channel listing information for the 922, however, what you are explaining doesn't seem correct.

The receiver should be doing a 'Daily Update', which is available on Settings (Yellow Button) > down 2 icons > right 1 icon 'Update' (Green down arrow,) and you should have that set to a time of day that you are the most unlikely to use the 922. The daily update takes no more than 10 minutes. New guide information and any software/firmware updates should load at that time, I believe.

There should be an expectation that in most cases, all things running well, you should have today's guide plus the next 7 days, from my experience.

Perhaps someone knows more, or Dish DIRT could give the full "Official rules" by which the guide updates occur.

#3 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

Do you turn the receiver off? I've read you must turn it off during the updating cycle. I believe the default is 3am. Recording during the update cycle may has consequences also.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#4 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

FWIW, I never turn my receiver off. But it goes into standby either for or after the daily update automatically every day at 3 AM.

I have the Inactivity Setting disabled, and the Daily Updates setting at 3:00 AM. Seems to update every day just fine.
-GA

#5 OFFLINE   esl1885

esl1885

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

I have found posts for 622's, 722's and 922's all having issues in the last month with updating the guide properly(including mine).
It has nothing to do with leaving the rx. on. It turns itself off automatically when it is time update.

Sam

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

I personally don't know of any online reference that fully explains the Dish method of downloading channel listing information for the 922, however, what you are explaining doesn't seem correct.

The receiver should be doing a 'Daily Update', which is available on Settings (Yellow Button) > down 2 icons > right 1 icon 'Update' (Green down arrow,) and you should have that set to a time of day that you are the most unlikely to use the 922. The daily update takes no more than 10 minutes. New guide information and any software/firmware updates should load at that time, I believe.

There should be an expectation that in most cases, all things running well, you should have today's guide plus the next 7 days, from my experience.

Perhaps someone knows more, or Dish DIRT could give the full "Official rules" by which the guide updates occur.

A few years before (when JohnH was alive) we discussed EEPG [9 days Guide] updates - how often, what size, etc.
Search here and you'll find all the info here.

[As to that menu setting - it has noting to actual EEPG updates, it just obscure mandatory reboot of each STB to eliminate memory leak due bad coding and lack of QA job.]

#7 OFFLINE   SandyG3

SandyG3

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

After reading other posts; it seems like it may be an issue lately on various models of dish receivers.

The receiver is set to default settings of 3am for guide/reset every night. I do not have timers set anytime from midnight to morning. Receiver has about 70% full HDD of recordings. All in all its been a wonderful receiver; just this has cropped up last month or so.

Every Sunday morning; I'll just press the front red reset button and itll download the guide again within an hour. I have it connected via the wall internet adapter as I do not yet have ethernet port ran directly to this room. It has worked this way for about 6 months with no issues.

Thanks again everyone; I'll be on the look out for a new FW update soon :)

#8 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

My 922 just had no guide for the first time.. I noticed it yesterday.. I ran check switch still no guide.. I hard reset and still no guide.. I went to bed at about 11:00 last night and I turned the receiver off. This morning it had the full 9 days.. Just turn it off one night and it will download the guide.. I never turned mine off before either..

#9 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

My 922 just had no guide for the first time.. I noticed it yesterday.. I ran check switch still no guide.. I hard reset and still no guide.. I went to bed at about 11:00 last night and I turned the receiver off. This morning it had the full 9 days.. Just turn it off one night and it will download the guide.. I never turned mine off before either..

Weird...I had it happen but my guide was only available for 2 day as was my recording schedule. I did a soft re-boot, the downloading bar ran for several minutes, at first there was only a partial correction. Within a hour everything was normal. I read another report tonight about a similar issue, makes one think some tweaking may be going on.
Thank you and
Best of luck

spam firewall