Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Non-SWM: Should I do the upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Currently have 6 boxes, all DVR, all SWM compatible, but the wiring is the old stuff, WB68s, BBC, etc. all installed and maintained by DTV. If I want to get connected home would I be better off just to give them a call and let them handle it ($250 I think) or buy the parts a follow the instructions posted here?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

you will be better off letting them handle it because the parts alone will cost you more than what they will charge you. you need a swm16 multiswitch , and a bunch of receiver decas etc. the price has come down from that also I just did one where they were only charged 99 dollars. with them doing it also its all guaranteed for 90 days so you can make sure everything is working properly.

#3 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. That was kind of what was thinking and I believe they throw in the Cinema Connection kit up and running for no charge.

#4 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

you will be better off letting them handle it because the parts alone will cost you more than what they will charge you. you need a swm16 multiswitch , and a bunch of receiver decas etc. the price has come down from that also I just did one where they were only charged 99 dollars. with them doing it also its all guaranteed for 90 days so you can make sure everything is working properly.

Agreed
the only reason to DIY it is if you want to have full control over the placement and everything

For me I bought a SWM16 off E-bay for $60+shipping and Deca Pack for $69 +shipping (the Deca pack came with more than I'm going to use, 3x decas, 1x CCK, 1x BSF)

and then I did the work myself and will still have to get DTV to enable WHDVR which might be harder without them doing the install (maybe/maybe not)

so for mine $149 + mounting hardware, and if they do it you might get it cheaper and might get some recivers upgraded

#5 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

Agreed
the only reason to DIY it is if you want to have full control over the placement and everything

For me I bought a SWM16 off E-bay for $60+shipping and Deca Pack for $69 +shipping (the Deca pack came with more than I'm going to use, 3x decas, 1x CCK, 1x BSF)

and then I did the work myself and will still have to get DTV to enable WHDVR which might be harder without them doing the install (maybe/maybe not)

so for mine $149 + mounting hardware, and if they do it you might get it cheaper and might get some recivers upgraded

I did it myself much like DarkLogix. VOS helped me with the design. Purchased everything on-line. My calendar, not wanting to deal with DIRECTV techs in my home and the assistance of DBStalk.com have led me to install everything myself over the years.

#6 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

Since you already have the cabling in place, I would just do it myself.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,956 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Since you already have the cabling in place, I would just do it myself.

Being the cheap SOB I am, I doubt I could get all the parts I need cheaper that what DirecTV charges. SWiM-16s ain't cheap. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Being the cheap SOB I am, I doubt I could get all the parts I need cheaper that what DirecTV charges. SWiM-16s ain't cheap. :nono:

E-bay is the answer

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Sure, but DIRECTV installers are really well trained on this sort of thing, and most folks aren't going to bring the same experience to the task.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

Sure, but DIRECTV installers are really well trained on this sort of thing, and most folks aren't going to bring the same experience to the task.

Ya I was only arguing the price part

most people should let DTV do the work as they normally know what they're doing and are most likely to do a better job

I'm actually thinking of looking for an excuse to get a tech out here to shorten the cables from the Grounding block to the SWM16 (they're a total mess, and I know if I cut and re-end them it won't be good I'm just bad at putting coax ends on good I don't have the practice they do)

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,956 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

E-bay is the answer

Currently eBay is $115, so it ain't that cheap.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Currently eBay is $115, so it ain't that cheap.

no e-bay has it for $73.95 + free shipping w/ splitters and PI
http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f10562a45

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,956 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

no e-bay has it for $73.95 + free shipping w/ splitters
http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f10562a45

So much for going to ebay and searching SWiM-16, as it only showed one for $115
A.K.A VOS