Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 external hard drive issue

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

I recently switched from DTV, I have a 922 in my living room now. I want to repurpose my EHD so I switched the lead from an eSata to a USB and plugged it into the back of the 922. Nothing. No message to inform me it needs reformatting, no flashing light showing disk usage, nothing. I plugged it out and in etc. Nothing.

The drive worked fine on my DTV HR20 unit, but nothing on 922.

Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

You might want to say what the make/model# is for your drive, so people who have that drive could advise. Also, you could say whether you have left it on and connected during an overnight 'Daily Update', and whether you have tried to go to Menu > My Media Transfer, and whether anything shows up there besides the VIP922 Set Top Box.

I come from the same situation, but just got a different new EHD, rather than try to re-use the D* eSATA drive, so I can't advise, but can sympathize.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Connect to your PC first using USB, run Victoria (under Windows) - post SMART snapshot here. Then we will continue.

#4 OFFLINE   MikeJH@DISH Network

MikeJH@DISH Network

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

I recently switched from DTV, I have a 922 in my living room now. I want to repurpose my EHD so I switched the lead from an eSata to a USB and plugged it into the back of the 922. Nothing. No message to inform me it needs reformatting, no flashing light showing disk usage, nothing. I plugged it out and in etc. Nothing.

The drive worked fine on my DTV HR20 unit, but nothing on 922.

Any thoughts?

If the USB port on the back of your 922 isn't recognizing your EHD you can try the USB port on the front of the receiver to see if it reads it there. If the EHD is still not showing up please PM me your account information and the specs of the EHD that you are using. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

Connect to your PC first using USB, run Victoria (under Windows) - post SMART snapshot here. Then we will continue.

I plugged the drive into my PC to get this info and it told me it couldn't read the drive. I re-formatted it so that it could. Just to try I then plugged it back into the 922, and it recognized it!

I am now happily transferring shows to it. So I guess when I press the DVR button I have to choose whether I am looking at shows on the 922 or ones on the EHD. It is awesome it allows it in addition to the internal one. 2.5tb's should be enough.

Thanks all! All I need now is an whole home DVR equivalent and I will be all set.

#6 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Is there any way of setting up a timer to put it on the EHD by default?

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

EHD is an ARCHIVE, not a second drive. Also you mentioned 2.5 TB, we get no info about support a size bigger then 2 TB. Are you sure ? What number of free space you see if you select Transfer to EHD ?

#8 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

EHD is an ARCHIVE, not a second drive. Also you mentioned 2.5 TB, we get no info about support a size bigger then 2 TB. Are you sure ? What number of free space you see if you select Transfer to EHD ?

I am showing .5TB internal and 2TB external available.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

Anyway, the analogy is DVR has one or two bottle, a main tube going to internal bottle and second bottle could be filled by taking from/to first bottle only.

#10 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

I have a 1TB WD My Book Essential as my EHD for my 922, and it operates fine as both archive and also as a Play drive. The Play is quite normal from the EHD, although the forwarding and reversing are a little less smooth than the IHD.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Adding to that analogy - you could smell, look at content of both bottles :) - mean can play from both.

#12 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

Another week another issue. I copied a lot of shows to my EHD. I was happy as Larry until I went to watch one of the shows last night, and most of the shows are gone!

One possible reason I can think of is this - I initially copied about 10 Dr. Who's onto the EHD, then mid week I copied two more. The only ones there now are the two I copied second. Does it overwrite existing shows of the same name when you do a second copy?

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

No. That was a glitch. :(

#14 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Is this glitch a one off or on going? Is there a link?

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:19 AM

No one could tell - the SW is so buggy, so each unique config create different conditions for raise some of the bugs.

#16 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Is there any way of setting up a timer to put it on the EHD by default?

menu -> settings -> record plus -> select enable under External Device Recordings
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

menu -> settings -> record plus -> select enable under External Device Recordings

When it's changed ?

External Device Recordings are not EHD.
It's always been writing to PVP [personal video player] aka Archos device.

Edited by P Smith, 30 November 2011 - 11:18 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

When it's changed ? External Device Recordings is not EHD.
It's always was writing to PVP [personal video player] aka Archos device.

I'll double-check, but I was told that was for external hard drives too now.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#19 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

No one could tell - the SW is so buggy, so each unique config create different conditions for raise some of the bugs.

So if the recordings can be wiped of the EHD at any time without warning, it pretty much means that the EHD is useless. I am not going to send any more shows out to it if I cannot be sure they will be just erased.

I tend not to record shows I have no interest in watching.

#20 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

No one could tell - the SW is so buggy ...

That's a bit harsh, and not quite true.

My VIP922 works as advertised. Have I lost a few shows during transfers to the EHD? Yes. Many? No.

I have found if you transfer shows when the DVR is not busy doing other things, and don't try to send too many things at once, it's actually very reliable.
-GA

spam firewall