Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How or what can i use to keep the snow off my direct tv sat dish

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TMOMADMAX

TMOMADMAX

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

i really need some help with a issue i have with snow building up on my direct tv satilite dish when it snows. When it snows i have to climb 30ft to get to my satalite and clean the snow off of it with a broom. I just went to lowes and bought a 30ft extension ladder, and a pole with a soft broom attached to it, to clean the snow off of the dish. Now its getting a little dangerous to be up that high to try to keep the dish clean. Also a worker from lowes told me about a product called; du pont teflon snow and ice repellent. They say it helps prevent snow and ice build up on many things such as snow blowers, shovels the underneath of your car, and snowmobiles. Will this product work or harm my direct tv dish, or is there anything else i can use besides water now that my water supply for the outside is froze now. And i used a black trash bag to cover the dish but the signal wasn't the same. And the heaters are to expensive to buy and run new electric to the roof to be plugged in all winter long. Can any one please help me with this issue? :(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

How about a hotshot dish heater.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   TMOMADMAX

TMOMADMAX

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

I looked that up on the web kevin, and to be honest i just spent 246.00 yesterday for a 30 ft extension ladder, a extension pole that you can attach a soft brush to it to try to wipe off the snow without falling 30 ft to the ground. Plus the dish heater is a little pricey and would have to run all new electric to reach the roof, so my military pension money doesn't go far. So that cant be a option for me. Any other ideas?

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

How about a sturdy plastic bag covering the dish so the snow can't stick to it.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   TMOMADMAX

TMOMADMAX

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

DuPont Snow & Ice Repellent;

Snow & Ice Repellent

Helps prevent snow & ice build-up on snow blowers, shovels, auto undercarriage, snow mobiles, snow plows and satellite dishes
Helps prevent augur jams and chute clogging on snow blowers
Use on locks and latches to prevent snow & ice build-up:)

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

$5.98 at Lowe's. Not bad.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#7 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 8,879 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

I merged the threads this way all of the replies can be together.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

I looked that up on the web kevin, and to be honest i just spent 246.00 yesterday for a 30 ft extension ladder, a extension pole that you can attach a soft brush to it to try to wipe off the snow without falling 30 ft to the ground. Plus the dish heater is a little pricey and would have to run all new electric to reach the roof, so my military pension money doesn't go far. So that cant be a option for me. Any other ideas?

I've been think about this, and I'd like to suggest something to you. You don't need to run electric to your roof, the heater comes with 100' of low voltage cable to power it. Buy the heater, run an extension cord over to the side of your house, use your ladder to run the low voltage up the side of your house and install the heater, return the ladder to Home Depot.

#9 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 337 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

When I lived up north, my dish (dish network if that matters) would be not visible because it would be covered in snow and it would work fine. My parents still live in Vermont and it gets covered for a day or two after a big snow and they never lose signal either. Is this really something people need to be worried about?

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Normal snow no, but heavy wet snow that turns to an ice shield, yes.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once

#11 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,384 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

My recommendation.

Perfect Vision Hotshot Satellite Antenna Heating Element - 28 x 20 Inch for DIRECTVs Slim Line AU9 AT9 DTV66E .74 Raven and Prodelin Dish (HSSLNGRFKIT)

I've never been a fan of dish covers (the snow just accumulates on the cover) and spays usually make a big mess.

#12 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 337 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

That makes sense, I suppose. My parents have a really strong signal. Takes epically heavy rain to knock it out and even then it just pixelates. Must be they had an extra-good install or are in a good location.

#13 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

My recommendation.

Perfect Vision Hotshot Satellite Antenna Heating Element - 28 x 20 Inch for DIRECTVs Slim Line AU9 AT9 DTV66E .74 Raven and Prodelin Dish (HSSLNGRFKIT)

I've never been a fan of dish covers (the snow just accumulates on the cover) and spays usually make a big mess.

I have this same heater and it was money well spent. I am into my second winter with it. It was an easy install and I love the fact I never have to go on the roof to clear snow anymore. :D

It is a must have if you live in a snowy area!

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

I have my dish a ground level. :D

I know not everyone has that as an option, just saying!
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,373 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

Sooper Soaker squirt gun filled with warm water.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#16 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

i really need some help with a issue i have with snow building up on my direct tv satilite dish when it snows. When it snows i have to climb 30ft to get to my satalite and clean the snow off of it with a broom. I just went to lowes and bought a 30ft extension ladder, and a pole with a soft broom attached to it, to clean the snow off of the dish. Now its getting a little dangerous to be up that high to try to keep the dish clean. Also a worker from lowes told me about a product called; du pont teflon snow and ice repellent. They say it helps prevent snow and ice build up on many things such as snow blowers, shovels the underneath of your car, and snowmobiles. Will this product work or harm my direct tv dish, or is there anything else i can use besides water now that my water supply for the outside is froze now. And i used a black trash bag to cover the dish but the signal wasn't the same. And the heaters are to expensive to buy and run new electric to the roof to be plugged in all winter long. Can any one please help me with this issue? :(

Let me process this corectly? You'r accepting a 30 FT extenbtion ladder, with a pole with an extention broom and snow & ice repellant beyound that,to keep the dish clean.

Whats wrong with a low voltage ,thermostat controlled fixed heating pad to eliminate all ladder climbs after initial setup!

Heatting Pad Makes Ultimate Since!

What.s not to love about this!!

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#17 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:24 AM

I agree with Draconis that once you spend $130 for the Heating Element and put it up you are done!!!

No more Snow problems for your dish.

Take back the ladder and pay an electrician to install the heating element and you are good to go without any further hassle.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

I agree with Draconis that once you spend $130 for the Heating Element and put it up you are done!!!

No more Snow problems for your dish.

Take back the ladder and pay an electrician to install the heating element and you are good to go without any further hassle.

Unless, you have a setup like mine with a PI out in the weather. That decides to die when wet.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once

#19 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:01 AM

Sooper Soaker squirt gun filled with warm water.

I second this. Its low cost and works great. You do have to get out in the snow to spray it, but we only get heavy snow a couple of times a month.

#20 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

I second this. Its low cost and works great. You do have to get out in the snow to spray it, but we only get heavy snow a couple of times a month.

I am to lazy to walk out in the snow to spray it so ill pay the $130 bucks for a dish heater..:lol::lol::lol:

spam firewall