Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How or what can i use to keep the snow off my direct tv sat dish

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

I live in Minnesota and have had an ICE ZAPPER for several years. Only model available at the time had the built-in thermostat. I have an X10 appliance module to remotely power it on and off (Insteon or other would work too) so it isn't heating all the time. I see they have a remote now as well.

In a normal winter, which this one has not been, I need to turn it on once or twice (for a few hours). Always does the trick - never had LNB issues.

It's cheaper than a Hotshot...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ditto . . Ice Zapper is a great product . . . <$90. Is attached to the back of the dish reflector where it will not impact the signal.

#43 OFFLINE   razorwindmo46

razorwindmo46

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

DO NOT spray any chemicals or Pam as suggested on any of the plastics of the dish. ONLY spray the round/oblong metal dish itself. You are asking for eventual trouble or failure if spaying any of these on the LMB at the end of the arm. I use an alcohol/water mix on the metal dish and signal always comes back. Ice on the LMB at the end of the arm is not the issue, it's the metal dish that recieves the signal and bounces it into the LMB which sends the signal to the cable.
When the dish is pointed at the satellite, it isn't the LMB that's pointed at it, it is the center of the metal dish.
I had to post this as everyone thinks it is the opposite thats poninted.

#44 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Even though it is not safe or using a ladder is better, But I hoist myself up from a big central air unit outside just below the dish (well a couple notches to the side of it) And just brush it off with a broom, Since my house is not so high from the unit to the dish, Plus the central unit is strong enough to hold my weight, Even though I could slip and fall really bad when it's wet but it works for me :)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#45 OFFLINE   bdskipper

bdskipper

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

My dish in Minnesota has been out for almost the entire month of December (2013).  I've been gone for work, and no one has been willing to climb my 10/12 pitch snow-covered roof, atop the 3rd story (and above a concrete pad too).  The dish is visibly completely snow-covered.  I've thought about a hundred different solutions.  Mine took 30 seconds-  two pumps of a (Daisy, probably weak) pellet gun, and one shot to the back (not the front) sent the snow flying.  Works great.  Instant fix.  And there's no way a pellet gun is going to hurt a solid dish, from behind. 

#46 OFFLINE   HuskerHarley

HuskerHarley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

Try a paintball gun next time...

#47 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Or a shotgun. Lol Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#48 OFFLINE   bdskipper

bdskipper

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

I did think of that actually, 'cept I do not own one (though it's fun).  Hey, right now by family thinks I'm a hero.  Hillbilly hero, but a hero nonetheless.  Nothing is worth my life.  Had I damaged the dish, I figured I wasn't out much, right!

#49 OFFLINE   watchintv

watchintv

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

The spray will work just make sure its not a silicon bases spray if so it could mess with the lnb and cause the dreaded 771 the dish heater is definitely the way to go also much safer than climbing the ladder, have you considered having the dish relocated to pole mount if thats an option?

#50 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Next time a tech goes to the house and can't pass IV retest he will be scratching his head as to what is going on...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...