Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hard Reboot Guide Problem with 722 (L7.21) & 612 (L6.42)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

OK, like many others I have had a guide update problem with my 722 running L7.21). Recently my 612 was updated to L6.42 and it has the same problem.

Last night our power company had an overnight planned outage for 10 hours for the second time in three months as part of a system upgrade. I carefully shut down both DVR's and disconnected them from power before the power went out.

Just like the last time, this morning I restored power to the 722 and it went through the usual reboot process, acquired satellite signals, did not update the guide, and brought me to the "screen saver" standby screen. I turned it on and the picture was just fine, but no information on the program was available. I couldn't go to timers for that reason. I went to the guide, it did some sort of quicky guide update when I hit the right arrow, but still no access to the timers. I did a switch check and after the whole process including a guide update, everything is fine.

Unlike the last time when was not running L6.42, this morning I restored power to the 722 and it went through the usual reboot process, acquired satellite signals, but did not update the guide, and brought me to the "screen saver" standby screen. I turned it on and the picture was just fine, but no information on the program was available. I went to the guide, it did some sort of full guide update when I hit the right arrow and everything is fine.

Being old, I can't rely on my memory but I would swear that a hard reboot (unplug, plug back in) after the usual boot up included both a satellite signal acquisition and a guide update.

It doesn't make much sense to me to not automatically do a guide update when one does a hard reboot.

Am I just confused and not remembering that a hard reboot had to be essentially followed by a switch check or other forced guide update for these boxes to work right?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

They are checking what period of time the EEPG file contain... so, not always you can see the update screen.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

They are checking what period of time the EEPG file contain... so, not always you can see the update screen.

The problem is when everything is done with the hard boot, the guide hasn't been updated and I have to take an additional step to update it. In other words, after doing a hard reboot, the guide then needs to be updated as an additional step.

Again, maybe my memory is wrong, but I thought downloading an updated guide was part of the hard reboot. As of the latest firmware/software releases, it is not on both my 722 and 612.

Even if my memory is wrong, the process of updating the guide should follow after the step of satellite signal acquisition and before returning control of the box to the customer.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

That step (update the guide file on a drive) is not mandatory action; there is a rule what will trigger the event only when it necessary (as I saw, a couple days difference).

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

That step (update the guide file on a drive) is not mandatory action; there is a rule what will trigger the event only when it necessary (as I saw, a couple days difference).

Yeah, except I got a "no program information" for the show that was playing and on the schedule, nor could I access the recording schedule. All that had to be fixed by forcing a schedule download. My 722 has been doing this but this was the first time I did a hard reboot on my 612 with the new firmware/software release.

It's just irritating but I don't care. And I think it's a bad idea for the system not to automatically redownload the schedule when a hard reboot is done.

My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

I can tell you why - the EEPG file size is more them 25 MB and it require 10-15 min to download, that is irritating all customers on each reboot, regardless if it need or not.

spam firewall