Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Christmas Movies

messed up

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Tis the season of the Christmas movie on many of our favorite channels. Please share your favorites and if you know when/where they might be on.

An old favorite of mine is an Ed Asner movie from waaaay back in 1977... The Gathering about a dying man (Asner) who wants to make peace with his adult children before he goes. I haven't seen it on cable in years, but it's out of DVD now so maybe it'll show up on TBS or one of other stations.

the Ref with Dennis Leary is another favorite, but not everyone will like his style of humor.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

A Christmas Story is my annual must watch.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

I start watching "Christmas Vacation" every Christmas Eve at 10:37pm. The movie ends at Midnight, Christmas morning.

Sappy, I know...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

A Christmas Carol (1984).

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

I start watching "Christmas Vacation" every Christmas Eve at 10:37pm. The movie ends at Midnight, Christmas morning.

Sappy, I know...

#1 on my list.
Watched it a couple of Weeks ago.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#6 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

A Christmas Carol (1984).

That's the one I grew up with. I try to catch it every year. I would like to know if it's going to be on any DirecTV HD channels this year (I think it's been on TCM in recent years).

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

That's the one I grew up with. I try to catch it every year. I would like to know if it's going to be on any DirecTV HD channels this year (I think it's been on TCM in recent years).

It's on On Demand in HD. Not sure what the cost is.

#8 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

A quick google search turned up this holiday movie listing that may be a good start.

Also noticed that AMC will be running Scrooged with Bill Murray numerous times starting next Monday.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Me too. I think TNT does the yearly 24 hour loop of it. I'll catch it once all the way through and then randomly.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Here's another holiday movie guide that focuses on just the schedules for Thanksgiving and Christmas eve/day.

#11 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

Me too. I think TNT does the yearly 24 hour loop of it. I'll catch it once all the way through and then randomly.

It's amazing how often a Yankee fan from Texas and a Red Sox fan from NY can agree. :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

This one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/

I've seen it a few times, but I never knew the name of it. I just remembered something about a kid and a BB gun and it was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread.

As far as "A Christmas Carol", among the dozens of knockoffs, there's one called "Ebbie" with Susan Lucci. Campy and soapy, but not bad overall.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

This one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/

I've seen it a few times, but I never knew the name of it. I just remembered something about a kid and a BB gun and it was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread.

As far as "A Christmas Carol", among the dozens of knockoffs, there's one called "Ebbie" with Susan Lucci. Campy and soapy, but not bad overall.

That's it, one of the modern classics.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,650 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

An old favorite of mine is an Ed Asner movie from waaaay back in 1977... The Gathering about a dying man (Asner) who wants to make peace with his adult children before he goes. I haven't seen it on cable in years, but it's << Snipped bits out >>.

I found a showing of a "The Gathering", Sunday 27th, on 363 starting at midnight. (midnight Sat). It's two hours, but only info is "Religion, Series". So it might be the one, may well not be. I am recording in any event.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,798 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Two of my favorite Christmas movies are not even in color:

Come to the Stable, with Loretta Young, and The Bells of St. Mary's with Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman.

Love those two ...

I also like some of the corny ABC Family dime-a-dozen Christmas movies, like the one where the woman gets trapped in a snow globe, or where the divorced and/or widowed father loses touch with the spirit of the holiday and the magical housekeeper puts things in motion that make everything right.

Another one I just remembered is The Christmas Box, with Richard Thomas. Sappy, sentimental, refreshing, and rejuvenating.

I also recall a movie that I can NOT remember about a family that donates a tree to Rockefeller Center and there's some discord in the family, or some such. I'll have to try to search for that...

I do love the holidays. :)

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

#1 on my list.
Watched it a couple of Weeks ago.

Mele Kalikimaka
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

It's amazing how often a Yankee fan from Texas and a Red Sox fan from NY can agree. :lol:

Well, it is the holidays. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#18 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

My all-time favorite is Babes in Toyland (1934) with Laurel and Hardy. There is also an edited down version called March of the Wooden Soldiers, which is the one most common one seen on TV. I prefer the b&w original, but the colorized version is OK too.

#19 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

My faves are
The original Miracle on 34th street
The Santa Clause

The wife's faves are:
It's a Wonderful Life
White Christmas

#20 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

If we can include Christmas specials in the list, let me highly recommend the somewhat obscure A Claymation Christmas (1987, stop-motion animation) and Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (a Jim Henson production from that group's glory days of the late 1970s).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...