Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Christmas Movies

messed up

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Two of my favorite Christmas movies are not even in color:

Come to the Stable, with Loretta Young, and The Bells of St. Mary's with Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman.

Love those two ...

I also like some of the corny ABC Family dime-a-dozen Christmas movies, like the one where the woman gets trapped in a snow globe, or where the divorced and/or widowed father loses touch with the spirit of the holiday and the magical housekeeper puts things in motion that make everything right.

Another one I just remembered is The Christmas Box, with Richard Thomas. Sappy, sentimental, refreshing, and rejuvenating.

I also recall a movie that I can NOT remember about a family that donates a tree to Rockefeller Center and there's some discord in the family, or some such. I'll have to try to search for that...

I do love the holidays. :)

Me too. Is White Christmas on other channels than AMC?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

Guys, you're gonna thank me for this one and I can't believe nobody picked it yet:

Christmas in Connecticut (1945)

with Barbara Stanwyck, Sydney Greenstreet and Dennis Morgan. It's one of those snappy, snarky, fast-talking witty deals like Preston Sturges was famous for. Great fun and you never know what's coming next. Stanwyck is at her comic best in this, and it still manages to be romantic and heartwarming. If you're tired of all the usuals every xmas, this is your lucky day.

I'll throw in one more oft overlooked gem:

One Magic Christmas (Disney/1985)

with Harry Dean Stanton and Mary Steenburgen. Not sappy, Stanton plays against type, heartwarming, and hell, it's got street hockey in it, what's not to like?

Edited by Maruuk, 24 November 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Guys, you're gonna thank me for this one and I can't believe nobody picked it yet:

Christmas in Connecticut (1945)

with Barbara Stanwyck, Sydney Greenstreet and Dennis Morgan. It's one of those snappy, snarky, fast-talking witty deals like Preston Sturges was famous for. Great fun and you never know what's coming next. Stanwyck is at her comic best in this, and it still manages to be romantic and heartwarming. If you're tired of all the usuals every, this is your lucky day.

I'll throw in one more oft overlooked gem:

One Magic Christmas (Disney/1985)

with Harry Dean Stanton and Mary Steenburgen. Not sappy, Stanton plays against type, heartwarming, and hell, it's got street hockey in it, what's not to like?

Christmas in Connecticut is a really good one. The remake sucked.

My favorite is “Holiday Inn”.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#44 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

If you're looking for something edgier with a bit more attitude, check out The Ref with Dennis Leary. Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey are also at their scenery-chewing best. It's pretty funny and is in my DVD collection.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#45 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

If you're looking for something edgier with a bit more attitude, check out The Ref with Dennis Leary. Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey are also at their scenery-chewing best. It's pretty funny and is in my DVD collection.

That is a very funny movie. It's on my list of movies I try to catch each holiday season. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

My wife absolutely refuses to accept that Die Hard is a Christmas movie. I make an attempt each year to convince her.
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,536 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

My wife absolutely refuses to accept that Die Hard is a Christmas movie. I make an attempt each year to convince her.

Die Hard is one of my all time favorites!!

Yippeee Kay Aye!!!!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#48 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

It's important to note that while "Holiday Inn" (1942) featuring the song "White Christmas" really is a rewarding and surprisingly thoughtful film, best to avoid the eponymous "White Christmas" film from 1954 also featuring the same song. It's trash.

And if you have kids, or any kid left inside you, the animated short "The Snowman" (narrated by David Bowie of all people) is a MUST see every yuletide. It's on Youtube now so you have no excuse.

#49 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

White Christmas is a classic! Trash? Hardly.
DTV = Digital Television

#50 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

It's important to note that while "Holiday Inn" (1942) featuring the song "White Christmas" really is a rewarding and surprisingly thoughtful film, best to avoid the eponymous "White Christmas" film from 1954 also featuring the same song. It's trash.

And if you have kids, or any kid left inside you, the animated short "The Snowman" (narrated by David Bowie of all people) is a MUST see every yuletide. It's on Youtube now so you have no excuse.

I have to disagree with you. White Christmas is one of my favorites and one we watch each year. I only have a few Christmas movies on Blu-ray and this is one. The others we watch each year are Holiday Inn, It's a Wonderful Life, and Miracle on 34th Street.

To each his own. :grin:

Mike

µß

#51 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Just saw it again last year. Shallow, forced, predictable, utterly lacking in charm, wit or heart. A classic only in the sense that it's a classic mid 50's smug and manipulative piece of commercial fluff which doesn't travel well to 2012. I'd rather see a Doris Day flick. And I hate Doris Day flicks.

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Just saw it again last year. Shallow, forced, predictable, utterly lacking in charm, wit or heart. A classic only in the sense that it's a classic mid 50's smug and manipulative piece of commercial fluff which doesn't travel well to 2012. I'd rather see a Doris Day flick. And I hate Doris Day flicks.

Our very own Grinch...
DTV = Digital Television

#53 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Bad films are bad films. Heck, I didn't greenlight the POS! Besides, I just touted a bunch of other films to the skies, a Grinch hates everything Xmas!

#54 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

TCM has a special on holiday classic movies on at Noon today, Sun (12/9).

HOME ALONE is on ABCFamily Tuesday (12/11) at 5pm EST, followed by The Santa Clause and Santa Claus is Coming to Town is on ABC at 8.

By the way, did anyone watch that SyFy holiday-theme movie, the 12 Disasters of Christams? Any good? Or is that a stupid question, since it's a SyFy movie... ;)

Edited by mreposter, 09 December 2012 - 02:38 AM.

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#55 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

The Santa Clause is a real sleeper, if you haven't seen it, definitely one to check out!

#56 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

White Christmas is trash? Dated perhaps, but not trash. On a historical note it was the first film released in VistaVision.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#57 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

See for yourself: AMC Friday night, 2 back-to-back showings of "White Christmas". TV Show Talk homework: Compare and contrast w/"Holiday Inn". You will be graded on a sliding scale.

Don't get me wrong, I love Der Bingle and old musicals. This one was just epic fail. Predictable, boring, no compelling love interest, and the musical numbers simply fall flat. And no good snow vibe, you want to be taken into some good snow scenes for Christmas, and this just doesn't deliver. Well, ok, to be fair it's about the lack of snow so what could I expect? 8^>

#58 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

So who doesn't like Doris Day??? :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#59 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Silent Night, Bloody Night.

Hey! It beats the Star Wars Holiday Special.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#60 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Silent Night, Bloody Night.

Hey! It beats the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Hey! That was Boba Fett's first appearance.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...