Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole house help

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

Without internet connection, you will lose PPV remote ordering (if not phone line connected), and TV Apps, and as you mentioned, On Demand.

The rest of your statement is correct.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ajbolit

ajbolit

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

So, we just bought that lovely 70" Sharp and the store had offered 100$ off plus additional 150$ of from DirecTV on top on "everything for free" offer. It is my understanding that the best way to go is with All House HD DVR and 2 extra HD Receivers plus that wireless CCK. Is there anything else I am missing that I should inquire about prior to schedulued installation? Should I request any specific models DVR or Receivers? Do the DVR varries in hard drive sizes vs any additional features? Would that DVR comes with 2 additional RF remotes for 2 different floors? (I am planning to use one in my dedicated Home Theater in the basement, another one on the main floor with the Sharp - which probably can be just an IR remote, and the third one in the bedroom on the second floor?

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Yes, HR22+ has larger drive (but all can take a 2TB external), HR20 can't display 3D locally, only the HR20 has built in OTA. Only HR24 has built in DECA, the others need an external box.

DirecTV can't guarantee a particular model, if you're working directly with an installer, you may have better luck.

#24 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

So, we just bought that lovely 70" Sharp and the store had offered 100$ off plus additional 150$ of from DirecTV on top on "everything for free" offer. It is my understanding that the best way to go is with All House HD DVR and 2 extra HD Receivers plus that wireless CCK. Is there anything else I am missing that I should inquire about prior to schedulued installation? Should I request any specific models DVR or Receivers? Do the DVR varries in hard drive sizes vs any additional features? Would that DVR comes with 2 additional RF remotes for 2 different floors? (I am planning to use one in my dedicated Home Theater in the basement, another one on the main floor with the Sharp - which probably can be just an IR remote, and the third one in the bedroom on the second floor?

Only one HD receiver can stream a show from a HDDVR- I would suggest you get 2 HDDVR and 1 HD receiver that way whatever room the HD receiver can watch live tv (any channel) or Stream from any HDDVR recorded playlist.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#25 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

Most installers will have the wireless CCK but they are not the default they are only to be used as a last resort. (cannot get to router with cable, no open ports on router, only wireless, etc....)

#26 OFFLINE   ajbolit

ajbolit

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

I did get confirmation email from DirectTV and it does include CCK (without specifying wireless or wired) free of charge. I am having a little price shock so - the Choice Ultimate at 70.99 a month, plus receivers and DVR - estimated monthly charge of 93$ a month. They would give me 36$ discount per month for the first year of contract - and the full price for the second year of contract (according to them I would be able to downgrade then).
Didn't have a cable for awhile (like for the last 4 years)). Is that a pretty much going rate for the TV services nowadays?
I also was reading about HR34 that is apparently started to ship - should I wait for it another month or so? Can I request it for my installation? Any other additional perks I can ask for from them?

#27 OFFLINE   HD Man

HD Man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

I called DTV yesterday evening asking about free upgrade to the whole house viewing option I saw on a commercial. (I've had DTV for about 13+ years) CSR said that was for new customers only but said let me look at your account. Came back with offer to upgrade my 2 non-HD DVR's to HD DVR's, the cinema connection kit, and evertyhing installed at no charge. Just had to extend for two years. Since I've had the service so long, that wasn't a problem.

She said the only thing I'll see on my bill is a incremental $3 charge per month for the whole house connection. I had initially wanted to wait for the HR34 but decided to add the two HD DVR's at not charge. That would give me four total HD DVR's and with the whole house connection, shouldn't have problem of not being able to record multiple shows as one time. We'll see what receivers I get in the mail.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

You'd be able to record 8 shows at once, but you won't be able to record 8 and watch something else live, or record 9 like you would with an HR34 and 2 HD DVRs. Usually, that's not too much of an issue :)

But, you can split recordings between multiple DVRs and watch anywhere. Really useful to make sure all network programming that doesn't repeat records.

#29 OFFLINE   HD Man

HD Man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the tip. I think recording 8 shows at a time will more than suffice for now, as I can allocate a receiver for wife's shows, one for the kids shows, and one just for my shows, and still have one left over.

With the CCK connection, how much "free" vod type programming, like cable, is available? Hopefully the CCK involves more than just PPV movies.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...