Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I phone contract up can i still use it as an I Pod

hawaii thr22

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

Hey, all, My I phone contract is up. I am thinking about going with a pay as you go phone or non smart phone with att. I dont get many calls so cant see paying the extra expense for phone or data plan. Was wondering if i get a nonsmart phone can I still use the I pod portion of it with Wi Fi to still be able to use apps-games, music etc or would i have to get the I Pod. I have the I pad 2 now so do see a use for the I phone. I have been told as long as I have Wi Fi I can use the I pod part of the I phone. I hope this makes sense.Max.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

Thanks Gary so as long i have Wi FI then i can use it. I kind of thought it was that way but wasnt quite sure. I mainly want to use it at Home for Music, games, etc. What i was told that if the I phone is shut off you cant use the I pod part of it. I may just get a regular non smart phone. Will let you know what i do.

#3 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

When I got an iPhone 4, I used my old iPhone GPS as an iPod for quite awhile. My grandson used that to play games when he was at my house.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

Hey, all, My I phone contract is up. I am thinking about going with a pay as you go phone or non smart phone with att. I dont get many calls so cant see paying the extra expense for phone or data plan. Was wondering if i get a nonsmart phone can I still use the I pod portion of it with Wi Fi to still be able to use apps-games, music etc or would i have to get the I Pod. I have the I pad 2 now so do see a use for the I phone. I have been told as long as I have Wi Fi I can use the I pod part of the I phone. I hope this makes sense.Max.

Even without WiFi access, you can use all the apps on your deactivated device that don't need WiFi to run.

The only things you lose access to are:

1. ATT's data network (Edge, 3G, etc.)
2. Actual ATT phone calls

You could, though, instal Skype on your old iPhone and use that to talk to people. Anyone with a Skype app can be called free, and you can pre-buy minutes to call regular numbers.

IF you have an iPhone 4 or newer, you can still use Facetime as well to call any iPhone 4 or iMacs running the software.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

Ok, thanks Stewart for the additional info. I just wasnt sure if i can still use it as an I pod. I found a provider i can use for pay as you go. I was pretty sure i can use it as an I pod that's why i love this site for info. I am looking at NET 10 or consumer cellular right now. Will let you know what i decide to do. Have a happy thanksgiving guys.

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

If you are not worried about AT&T, and since you will be off contract there is no need to be, you can jailbreak/unlock the phone and then use and pre-paid sim card in it. Best of both worlds in that you still get to use it as a phone, but don't have to pay AT&T for data you don't use.

#7 OFFLINE   larryk

larryk

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

If the phone is unlocked, you could also use T-Mobile's pre paid service, no monthly fees...

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

Though be careful updating the os if you unlock it, you gave to wait for the jailbreak. Which sometimes happens quickly, other times it's slow or limited, like tethered.

#9 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Ok, thanks guys. I just checked my options on Appple's website for upgrade for 99 bucks i can get an I phone 4 or get the same phone i have for free which would be okay for me. I also dumped the text messaging and now am paying 47 bucks a month with 300 minutes. I realize though if i upgrade I will have 2 year agreement but i have been happy with att. so looks like for now will do the upgrade on I phone 4 for Christmas.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...