Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Powerline Broadband Connection questions.

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nospmahm

nospmahm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I have 2 722Dvr's and have questions regarding the Powerline
Broadband Connector that I may purchase.
Does the PBC need to be on the same electric outlet phase as both of the 722's?
I plan to use my PC for setting up recordings etc..
Can I set up a program to record on either one or both of the 722's from the PC?
Can I watch a program that is on one 722 DVR Hard Drive on the other 722?
Can I watch a program that is on one 722 DVR External Hard Drive on the other 722?
It may be worth the time and investment in a PBC if it can do the above.
Really old Don
Hopper, Joey, Sling, EHD 56" Samsung HDTV
Hopper, Joey, EHD 40" Samsung HDTV
Savannah, GA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

I have 2 722Dvr's and have questions regarding the Powerline
Broadband Connector that I may purchase.
Does the PBC need to be on the same electric outlet phase as both of the 722's?
I plan to use my PC for setting up recordings etc..
Can I set up a program to record on either one or both of the 722's from the PC?
Can I watch a program that is on one 722 DVR Hard Drive on the other 722?
Can I watch a program that is on one 722 DVR External Hard Drive on the other 722?
It may be worth the time and investment in a PBC if it can do the above.

Hi, I will be happy to assist with your questions. DISh Network does recommend that PBC be in the same circuit but I have confirmed reports that it will work on different circuits with in a home.

Yes, you can set up recording online using the www.dishonline.com website.

When you log into your account, on the top right hand corner, it will show your receiver(s). You will have to switch between the receivers to record on both 722's. You will set the recording on the one showing then switch receivers and set up the recording on the second one.

You can watch DVR events from the other receiver only by transferring the recording to an External Hard Drive and then moving the hard drive to the other receiver.

Now if you add a sling adapter to one or both of your receivers, you will be able to watch Live TV or your recorded events from any PC or mobile device with an internet connection.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions! Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:50 AM

Issues on using PBC -
Best if all outlets are on same circuit, or at least same phase.
Your DVRs will need to be plugged into the wall outlet directly, or anything they are plugged into will need to be certified that it will pass it. Many UPS's / power strips that reduce noise will prevent powerline from working.

Any other devices that communicate over powerline ? I have a TED5000 and TED and powerline don't play well together.

Just my experiances using ethernet over powerline devices.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   nospmahm

nospmahm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

I knew Mary Catherine would come to my rescue.
I understand the limitations of the PBC from your excellant discription. I was getting PBC confused with the sling adapter.
Maybe some day Dish will have a way to allow transfering events from one EHD to another, It is a pain in the back to have to move EHD's from one receiver to another.
Last question, will I have to get 2 sling adapters if I want to watch Live TV or recorded shows on both of my 722's on 2 computers? If so will Dish honor the rebate on 2 sling adapters?
Really old Don
Savannah, GA

#5 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

I knew Mary Catherine would come to my rescue.
I understand the limitations of the PBC from your excellant discription. I was getting PBC confused with the sling adapter.
Maybe some day Dish will have a way to allow transfering events from one EHD to another, It is a pain in the back to have to move EHD's from one receiver to another.
Last question, will I have to get 2 sling adapters if I want to watch Live TV or recorded shows on both of my 722's on 2 computers? If so will Dish honor the rebate on 2 sling adapters?

It was my pleasure to assist! We are working on just such a set-up but we will have to wait for the release to discuss it.

I do recommend getting sling adapter for each receiver. You can technically move the sling adapter between receivers but this may get old real fast. You can connect to your sling on any computer or mobile device with an internet connection.

The Sling Adapter Rebate Promotion does have a limit of 1 per account but I would recommend e-bay or Craigs list as you can probably find a deal for the second one. Good Luck and have a great night!!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#6 OFFLINE   nospmahm

nospmahm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

Thank you Mary Caterine, as usual your advice is appreciated.:)
Really old Don
Savannah, GA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...