Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Yellow Tint on picture quality

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   melkins

melkins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

Over the last several months I have noticed the picture quality of my Dish programming to have a yellow tint or hue. It is most noticeable on close up shots of people's faces. It is more noticeable on shows like Terra Nova (FOX Network) however it does it on all channels. I have two 722DVR's and it is happening on all four of my TV's which are various brands, all TV's are plasma except one which is not flat screen TV and it shows up on this one too. It has to be the signal coming into the house or bad equipment. Any suggestions? Dish has not responed to my e-mails yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

I've noticed that things seem to be darker on all my sets (9). Especially the DLP directly hooked up to a 722 and a CRT on a 625.

#3 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

I've noticed that the bitrates seem to be (further) shrinking on many of the HD movie channels as of late (at least the ones I've observed on Eastern Arc). Thus, I'm seeing a soft, overcompressed, haze as well. Faces lacking detail. Colors off, dark or bleeding, more noise, etc. As I mentioned, their bitrates definitely went down on many of the EA HD movie channels...15-20% in some cases. I can only imagine what they did, in terms of picture processing, to try and mask that move.

Keep up the <sarcasm> "good work," Dish. :(

Edited by DaveM, 26 November 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   melkins

melkins

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Dish replaced the LNB. Said he saw the problem on the TV's but has not ideal what is causing it or how to fix it. LBN did not work.

#5 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

I would suspect the very last step. How are the TVs connected? If via HDMI, I would suspect the TVs, if via something more analogue, I would suspect whatever is feeding them. I am just guessing but in my experience it's a lot easier to mess up tint in analog signals vs digital.

Have you changed the ambient lighting at all? Like bought new compact fluorescents or anything like that? Ambient lighting can really change how a TV looks because you adjust your "white balance" based on the surrounding light.

#6 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

It's noticeable on my LG. I suddenly notice that all of the people have yellow teeth. No really worth the phone call.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

Since we're talking about multiple receivers with the same problem, that pretty much rules out a faulty receiver.

Another possibility is that DISH is futzing with their compression profile and the yellow component has been boosted (or the blue component cut).

Since more than one installation is noticing the yellowing, I'm going to rule out jaundice and cataracts. ;)

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   melkins

melkins

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

Tonight when Terra Nova came on there was a few seconds that the TV screen had a complete white background. There were very large and noticable yellow streaks on the screen covering at least 60% of the veiwing area. I paused the TV and checked my other cheap $99 Meijer Tv and the streaks were on that TV as well so it is NOT the TV's. Maybe it is just the FOX network broadcast signal (Chicago Area). I see it on other stations too but FOX is just 20 times worse.

#9 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

I got Terra Nova off OTA and there were no problems like what you got. But I am noticing color and brightness levels are not as good or as consistent as they used to be on Sat channels. I'm having to whack out my settings to a decent picture. I have reset my DLP to factory default settings and things aren't as incredible as they used to be. Although, VOD after download is great. When I can find what I want, I'd much rather watch everything via VOD. But the selection of daily network programming seems to be severely lacking. Although the networks are represented. And is it me or does the network listing change from day to day?

Off my Blu-Ray the picture is as it has always been, incredible. So . . .

#10 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

I watched Terra Nova last night through Dish (but sourced from a different local) and specifically looked for yellowness and didn't spot it.

#11 OFFLINE   jmccull78

jmccull78

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

I am glad this was brought up. I have noticed many times the yellow hue only on WFLD Fox32 out of Chicago (non-OTA). It is very noticeable on shows such as The Office, etc. I checked the OTA signal on a neighboring market and I DID NOT see it.

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

Notices members of the DISH Internet Response Team havn't chimed in with a explanation or a offer to help with this situation.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

Notices members of the DISH Internet Response Team havn't chimed in with a explanation or a offer to help with this situation.

Meaning?

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:00 AM

Meaning?

Usually when a DISH sub posts a problem a member of the DISH Internet Response Team offers assistance. Havn't seen it with this situation.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

I find that the DISH response team is very reliable and doesn't hesitate to chime in when they have something. The solution to a problem isn't always a known thing and the members of the response team aren't always tech types. If they have to go behind the scenes to communicate an issue to engineering, the response delay would seem in order. Otherwise, their input would be no more valuable than ours.

I think we should be patient and wait for answers they are comfortable enough with to share with us.

There was a time when there was no response team. I, for one, am glad the team was created.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#16 OFFLINE   melkins

melkins

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

I ordered an OTA antenna for my Dish Vip722 and recorded Terra Nova one day via OTA and the picture was crystal clear. I recorded it again via Dish not using the OTA antenna using my vip722 and the yellow spots are there so this tells me that the problem is something from Dish and not all my TV's.

#17 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

^^^

I just got my Panasonic plasma re-ISF'ed again (2 yr checkup), and he checked all my sources, and I don't see any yellow issues with Dish (and haven't in the past either). Maybe something specifically with your setup.

#18 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

I don't have any yellow tint on my dish signal either.

#19 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

I get a white haze, on some channels. A brand new LCD and a older DLP.

#20 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

I've seen that too. A compression artifact?

spam firewall