Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EPG Data: Why so little, and not updated?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

The EPG for receivers only goes out two days. Try again.

Seriously? OK, I'll try:

Even my 3000 had an 'extended' EPG of 7 to 10 days and it wasn't a DVR.

:D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,384 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

Even my 3000 had an 'extended' EPG of 7 to 10 days and it wasn't a DVR.

There is NO charge for the EPG on any Dish box. There may be a DVR fee, but it's for the DVR function, NOT the EPG.

EPG and DVR are not the same thing.

I see you have no idea what is EPG or EEPG, especially making such false statement about model 3000.

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,136 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

I have a feeling these is some disagreement here on something, but I can't figure out what's going on.

I have a 722 and a 612 and pay a single $6/mo DVR fee (not a fee for guides on two boxes).

On both right now, I have a guide that runs to the morning of Thursday 12/08/2011, so the guide update early this morning 11/29/2011 gave me 10 days.

That is enough guide for me. I plan my programming a week at a time as the networks are prone to change things beyond 8 days.

The guide is provided to Dish through the old Tribune Media Group subsidiary, the same folks that own ZAP2it and its guide which is sometimes as unreliable.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,384 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

Adding to that - the stream of EEPG/EPG data for OTA, cable and sat companies delivering by ROVI. Perhaps it's last mile service and source data coming from TMS.

#25 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

On both right now, I have a guide that runs to the morning of Thursday 12/08/2011, so the guide update early this morning 11/29/2011 gave me 10 days.

That is enough guide for me.

I don't think the OP's complaint is over the length of time. I think the number of days is someone else's topic that is confusing his thread.

It would be nice, for example, to hit the info button and get a full list of stars and guest stars. You can do this with some other platforms, but on Dish, the data is so light that I nearly always have to zoom back and scan the show's credits to find this info, and then FF back to where I was.

It basically gets the job done for me. I don't think I have ever missed a show due to missing guide data but some services do provide much more info, which is very nice to have. "Adequate" is probably the term I would use.

Edited by Orion9, 30 November 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

People have been complaining about the EPG for years. Me especially. Tribune/Zap2It is the worst provider on the planet. And no it's not dynamically updated as one would think it would be in the 21st Century. And when there is a problem, DISH points at Tribune, Tribune points at the Broadcaster, which fails because 99% of the time the broadcaster is correct. All the while TitanTV, TVGuide.com and the Broadcaster are usually spot on. I don't see how they can be that close and DISH so off at times. It has caused many failed timers that has made us go online to get fare. This has shown us that getting programming from other sources is easier, more reliable and better quality. One would imagine that DISH wouldn't want that to happen. But when I have talked to them over the years, until very recently, they were not really concerned.

I have hundreds of pictures of bad EPG behavior and it's consistently wrong a lot and has been for years. DISH needs a new provider for this info. One that is accurate and timely. Oh, and in talking to TVGuide, once awhile back, asking about the logo on the page and that their site had up to date and accurate info and DISH's is not, I was told that the only reason that the TVGuide logo is on the page is because DISH is using a copywritten visual format of TVG and has to have the TVG logo there as acknowledgment of TVG's ownership of the format. I told the TVG guy that it makes them look bad. He agreed. But no action.

#27 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I was told that the only reason that the TVGuide logo is on the page is because DISH is using a copywritten visual format of TVG and has to have the TVG logo there as acknowledgment of TVG's ownership of the format. I told the TVG guy that it makes them look bad. He agreed. But no action.

I don't agree with some of the things in your post, some I do, but that quote is just flat wrong. It is the TV Guide Network on that channel. It's the same programming and descriptions as on Charter Cable, and the same as at the TV Guide site. The logo is there because that is the channel.

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

I don't agree with some of the things in your post, some I do, but that quote is just flat wrong. It is the TV Guide Network on that channel.

The logo is there because that is the channel.

I don't believe anybody is talking about the TVGuide Channel [TVGN 117] (which doesn't even display a guide any more).
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#29 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

I don't believe anybody is talking about the TVGuide Channel [TVGN 117] (which doesn't even display a guide any more).

You 100% correct. It's the EPG that you get when you press the guide button on the remote.

I have been following this for years due to missing many timers, idiosyncratic operation due erroneous info in the listings and wondering why when Name Based Recording was made available that they did not cover all the bases properly. I spoke with TVG and was told what I posted and they were never owned by Tribune: cite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Guide.

Other: "TV Guide Magazine is owned by private-equity firm OpenGate Capital, which purchased the company from Macrovision Solutions Corporation (later renamed Rovi Corporation) for $1 in 2008. Macrovision loaned OpenGate $9.5 million to finance the magazine. (Other TV Guide holdings, including Internet and cable TV assets, were sold to movie and TV studio Lionsgate.)"

I have seen many discrepancies that make the EPG basically worthless and have discussed it directly with DISH, Zap2It/Tribune and TVG on many occasions.

@tampa8, believe what you want. But I have gone looking beyond the forums, directly to the sources.

#30 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

not, I was told that the only reason that the TVGuide logo is on the page is because DISH is using a copywritten visual format of TVG and has to have the TVG logo there as acknowledgment of TVG's ownership of the format. I told the TVG guy that it makes them look bad. He agreed. But no action.

I think they want to look bad. Bad as in: if you don't pay us for using our "grid on a TV" patent, we'll sue you too. :D

spam firewall