Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any advice on PS3 repair?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joekak

Joekak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

I've had the same bulky PS3 since they came out. Has worked like a champ for what, 4 years? Although, we just moved from apartment to apartment and I think something happened to the PS3 during the move and shuffling around inside of a regular cardboard box.

It starts up just fine, and I can play games that were already on the HD, use Netflix, etc but it will not read ANY discs. Tried CDs, DVDs, Blurays, and PS3 games. You can kind've hear the drive spin, but nothing happens at all with the PS3 and the same discs work fine in other devices.

I tried everything I could with the menus, like resetting to defaults, etc., but teres something physically wrong with the drive. I made the decision to just attempt to replace the laser myself but Im just having a hard time finding a definitive source of information.

For instance, I want to just order the part online, and open it up myself and replace it. The work itself is simple enough, but I can't find a single reliable answer on what the part number is. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good site or resource that might have a list of all the model numbers of the PS3's and what replacement parts go into each one? The replacement laser, for instance, I'm able to find about 8 different item numbers I can order for the replacement, and I don't want to waste $50 on a replacement laser that only works in the PS3 Slim.

Don't need to give me the part numbers and all that jazz, just a link to a website that might have spec sheets or something would be VERY helpful

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,840 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

Good call to do job for nothing ...
You would be better come to PS3 fixing dedicated sites/forums.

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

I had to replace the power supply unit on mine a few months ago and I just googled the part number and then took that part number to eBay. Works like a charm.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Also personally I would just order a brand new disc drive. Very easy to replace/install by the way.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Joekak

Joekak

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

P Smith do you know of any good ones? That's what I'm having a hard time with. I'm also without internet right now, just using the 3G on my phone, so browsing through the internets looking for a quality source of information is taking me all day just to find a good forum.

Kevin F When you did your power supply, did the internal parts by chance have an item or model number stamped on them? When I look up the replacement part number for my model of PS3, one site says KES-400AAA, another says KEM400AAA, and a so on. I haven't had the chance to open it up yet tonight to find out.

Just wish Sony would make it easier to get some type of parts list by model to know this stuff for sure.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,840 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

if you want your PS3 device exactly - open it and get the model id; or just buy compatible (so, a few models can work for same PS3)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...