Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBA League Pass

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

I was just on the D* website and still don't see any pricing information for NBA League Pass. I would hope they wouldnt stick it to the fans with a huge price tag.

the NBA should make it free this year to make for missing all the games so far.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

the NBA should make it free this year to make for missing all the games so far.

:lol: Free for "missing" 16 games per team?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#23 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

I've never understood why people think owners should pay for an arena the city can use

...probably because if I live in the city I may have no use at all for the arena and if I do want to use it than I would still have to pay to use it twice through taxes and tickets. It's not a public park.

Public-private partnerships are a scam to communities. They use government force to take from everyone to benefit a few. If a new hundreds of millions of dollar arena was truly profitable then they would be 100% privately financed every time. The "owners" aren't stupid. They know voters and city councils are stupid and will give them the money.

#24 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Well Im just so annoyed at both sides and cancelled LP for this year. Felt it was time to take a stand. And save up for ST and MLB Extra Innings :D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#25 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

...probably because if I live in the city I may have no use at all for the arena and if I do want to use it than I would still have to pay to use it twice through taxes and tickets. It's not a public park.

Public-private partnerships are a scam to communities. They use government force to take from everyone to benefit a few. If a new hundreds of millions of dollar arena was truly profitable then they would be 100% privately financed every time. The "owners" aren't stupid. They know voters and city councils are stupid and will give them the money.

My taxes fund the electric and water company, and I still have to pay to use it. Local cities help fund things like zoos and all, but if you go you still have to pay to use it. Animal control is paid for with taxes but if I want an animal from there I have to pay them for it also. And I doubt the zoos or animal control generate profits for the city.

If I owned a team and someone pulled that crap on me I'd build my own arena/stadium, buy all the land around it for parking, take every event I can out of the city owned venue (since i guess in your view there would be no reason to upgrade the current one) and since I own it all I wouldn't give the city one dime other than the property taxes and whatever other taxes I'd be responsible for. Then when you wonder why there's even more of a shortfall and your taxes go up even more the city officials can all explain it to you. Of course then I'm the mean rich owner unwilling to share what I own with everyone else....even though I bought it lock, stock, and barrel. Oh, and since I owned it all once I got sick of people in the city whining about how mean I am I could just take the team somewhere else and then you can really see how much benefit there was to the team being there.

The city generates revenue off arenas and stadiums which funds many things you use. You do benefit from it whether you believe so or not.

#26 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Im not looking for free but I think a substantial discount would make fans happy.

#27 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

Im not looking for free but I think a substantial discount would make fans happy.

I'll be shocked if they do that. They'll come up with what the original price should have been (which I wouldn't be surprised if they made higher than it really would have been), then divide by the number of weeks in the season and subtract the weeks missed. That would be my guess.

#28 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

My taxes fund the electric and water company, and I still have to pay to use it. Local cities help fund things like zoos and all, but if you go you still have to pay to use it. Animal control is paid for with taxes but if I want an animal from there I have to pay them for it also. And I doubt the zoos or animal control generate profits for the city.

You are proving my point. The only way any of these things are profitable is because they take from people using taxes not by supply and demand. They are often state run monopolies which is why the service is often poor and the prices high.

Anybody can have a profitable "business" by paying off a politician and siphoning off taxes from people. You may support this system, which is fine, but don't pretend it's freedom.

#29 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

As I said earlier in this thread, we lost approximately 20% of the games that an 82 game regular season has. So we'll likely see a 20% discount off the regular price for those under renewals and those that are new subscribers. The NBA players are getting 66/82 of their salary, FWIW. So pretty much everything cost wise would associate with that most likely IMO. The real question is, what would be considered "a substantial discount"? I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on that one & the lower the price the better :D

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#30 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Well after the last lockout they offered League Pass for free. Granted things were a little bit different then, the season didn't start until February and they played only 50 games. I'm hoping for more than just a pro-rata price reduction.

#31 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Friday the lockout offically ended. So everything is now 100% good to go. Camps are open, rosters are being filled. Its like the NFL's version of signing free agents, etc.

If nba league pass isnt being offered by this new week. I'll be very shocked. lol as a wish maybe they will offer it, free to all. Thus no need to take orders, just show the games.

Now I wonder how the free week's will work.

normally you get the 1st week free, and week free after all star.

#32 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

I'm starting to think that it is free again this time because they have removed the particular box that normally says that it is out of season or that the details regarding the price are not available yet. I think giving it out free again would be a nice move to make up for everything the players and owners put everyone else through.

Well after the last lockout they offered League Pass for free. Granted things were a little bit different then, the season didn't start until February and they played only 50 games. I'm hoping for more than just a pro-rata price reduction.

#33 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

How about making it free if you subscribe to the other sports packages. I get baseball, football and hockey.

#34 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

How about making it free if you subscribe to the other sports packages. I get baseball, football and hockey.

I'm not sure why the NBA would care what other sports packages you subscribe to. If it is made free, or deeply discounted, it would be at the cost of the NBA to hopefully gain some goodwill among their fans after the lockout.

#35 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

I'm not sure why the NBA would care what other sports packages you subscribe to. If it is made free, or deeply discounted, it would be at the cost of the NBA to hopefully gain some goodwill among their fans after the lockout.

Im sure the NBA doesn't care at all but maybe D* would.

#36 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

Pricing is up on the main website. $169 for 1 payment or $42 x4 payments.
I am a Phoenix Suns fan but I might pass on this unless I can get a deal.

#37 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

Fuhgeddaboudit

:rolleyes:
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#38 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

Yep Pricing is up on directv.com Nba.com only taking emails, My guess that site will be changing today.

I did call D to see if I could get a deal, they offered 50 off total, 10 each month dec, jan, feb, mar, apr.

so total LP is costing me 119.

That's the best I could get, I hope you all can get some good or better deals.

#39 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Pricing is up on the main website. $169 for 1 payment or $42 x4 payments.
I am a Phoenix Suns fan but I might pass on this unless I can get a deal.

Each game is going to cost more than it originally was supposed. They basically got rid of one of the original 6 payments in this plan, but you are now paying for what would have been the 72 game price approximately and that amount has been spread across the remaining 990 games, but that new price was worth about 1080 games. What is missing is the early bird pricing. This savings is based on the full price of 199.99 not the the early bird price that was 191.94

Edited by mshaw2715, 13 December 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Each game is going to cost more than it originally was supposed. They basically got rid of one of the original 6 payments in this plan, but you are now paying for what would have been the 72 game price approximately and that amount has been spread across the remaining 990 games, but that new price was worth about 1080 games. What is missing is the early bird pricing. This savings is based on the full price of 199.99 not the the early bird price that was 191.94

indemand has a free preview for 12/25 to 1/8
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...