Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

All Recordings Gone! Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

So, I wake up morning and push the DVR button to find nothing! :nono: :crying_sa::crying:
I checked EHD and nothing there either. No guide info either.
I pushed reset button on 922, let it boot back up and then had guide info, but no recordings still.
I then unplugged unit, waited, plugged unit back in, and now have EHD recordings, but still no 922 recordings or timers.
Called E* tech support and was told that I'm screwed (of course in a much politer way).

I'm sure he's right, but I'm posting this in hopes that one of you guys can perform some sort of magic and help me get my programs back. :bowdown:

DVR was around 85% full, so you can imagine how much programs (and timers) I lost.
I know that I should have been more vigilant and transferred programs to EHD more frequently, but that wouldn't help for all recent recordings, and a lot of shows, I don't transfer because I don't want to have duplicate episodes.

E* tech support also said that since this was the first time this happened, that it was probably just a fluke and there is no reason to swap out 922.
Do you guys agree with this? I'm a little nervous now.

Thank you

Edit: After posting I went to dish online and noticed that there are no recordings or timers, however, DVR Usage is listed at 91% full. Also when I clicked timers, there were none, but it did show 3 future conflicts.
Hope this is somehow a good sign!

Edited by mcss1985, 26 November 2011 - 09:44 AM.
Update

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 886 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

Give it a little time, there seems to be something going on with the guide/timers/records and scheduling (maybe at Dish's end). I had a incident where my scheduling was only showing 2 days as was my guide information. I did a soft reboot and finally got a downloading bar which ran for several minutes. When that was finished the menu's were still incomplete but better, within the hour everything was back to normal.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#3 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

So still no luck. :(:(:( One concern I just thought of though.
All the old recordings are still on the 922 they just can't be accessed for whatever reason. When I start getting new recordings, will this limit my total hard drive space? (meaning if I had 85% before - do I now only have 15%)
Or will it just write over the old recordings automatically since it doesn't really know they are there?

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 886 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

Space is limited, the oldest will be eliminated.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#5 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

I would unplug the 922 and leave it unplugged overnight.. Then plug it back in in the morning.. And keep your fingers crossed...:) Good luck..

#6 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

so all the original recordings and timers and obviously long gone at this point.

I re-timered everything I could think of and started recording shows again. My concern now is hard drive space. I currently have a 25% full hard drive with 75 recordings. That's only 300 recordings until full. I know I had way more than 300 recordings before, but I'm not sure of the exact number.

I know that this is not an exact science since different recordings take up different amounts of space, but do these numbers so right to you guys?
Just want to make sure I don't have any wasted space on DVR now.

#7 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

Yep. That sounds about right.. At 1 point.. I had about 250 recordings..A few HD movies and I was at 33%...

#8 ONLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

so all the original recordings and timers and obviously long gone at this point.

I re-timered everything I could think of .

You need to save your timers to the remote so all you would have to do is restore all of them.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#9 OFFLINE   bill-e

bill-e

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:12 AM

You need to save your timers to the remote so all you would have to do is restore all of them.

Kevin, could you please explain what you mean by this?

Thanks
Thanks,
Bill
---------------------
ViP922DVR-HD
VIP612DVR-HD
Sony 42" HDTV (KDF-E42A10)
PVR-508, PVR-501, 301 all gathering dust.
Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc

#10 ONLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

menu - settings - system wizard - backup
That will save your timers, parental controls and favorite channel lists to the remote and your remote settings to the receiver.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#11 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

menu - settings - system wizard - backup
That will save your timers, parental controls and favorite channel lists to the remote and your remote settings to the receiver.

I tried this after the "wipeout" and didn't get any timers back. Of course I choose restore, to the receiver from the remote and it didn't seem to do anything.
I had never previously manually chose backup, but it listed the lasted backup at the time of a few days before the wipeout.
Is there anyway to confirm what is actually saved in the backup?

#12 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

I tried this after the "wipeout" and didn't get any timers back. Of course I choose restore, to the receiver from the remote and it didn't seem to do anything.
I had never previously manually chose backup, but it listed the lasted backup at the time of a few days before the wipeout.
Is there anyway to confirm what is actually saved in the backup?

The Backup feature allows you to back up your receiver settings to your remote or your remote settings to your receiver. This can be very helpful if you need to replace a remote or receiver in the future and do not want to reconfigure your settings. Settings will only be saved as of right now. If you make changes to settings you will have to repeat this process to ensure the new settings are saved.

There is not anyway to see what was stored during a back-up.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

spam firewall