Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking for advice on switching to DISH from DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jc8097654

jc8097654

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Just made the switch from D* to Dish but will have to use OTA to get my local channels in HD. I have already ordered my receiver (722) and have installation on Monday. Told the CSR that I needed the proper equipment to get local channels OTA...

However, I do NOT see a MT2 module on the order! Do I need to call and request this to get OTA HD Channels? Will the installer have one with him/her?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Just made the switch from D* to Dish but will have to use OTA to get my local channels in HD. I have already ordered my receiver (722) and have installation on Monday. Told the CSR that I needed the proper equipment to get local channels OTA...

However, I do NOT see a MT2 module on the order! Do I need to call and request this to get OTA HD Channels? Will the installer have one with him/her?

If you are installed with a 722 receiver it will have a built in OTA connection. If they give you a 722k then you will need to ask the technician. If he is unable to provide it then please PM me after your installation and I will get you set up. Welcome to the DISH Network Family and have a safe and happy New Year!!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#23 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

According to THIS list, every market in IN has HD locals on Dish.

Since your primary receiver is free (and 922's are currently unavailable), you should get the best model you can, which is the 722k.

The Dish website lists all receivers and their capabilities.

I'm confused here. when I signed up with dish last March, I chose the 222k because I needed a two tv reciever. It is my only reciever, and I was under the impression that the 722k [ dual reciever with dvr, right?] was extra per month. Now it appears by reading these posts the primary reciever is free. So, I could have dvr service for no extra? I've got the 250 package, but may switch to 200 after the promotional offer expires. What am I missing, and who would pick the 222k over the 722k for the same cost?

thanks

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'm confused here. when I signed up with dish last March, I chose the 222k because I needed a two tv reciever. It is my only reciever, and I was under the impression that the 722k [ dual reciever with dvr, right?] was extra per month. Now it appears by reading these posts the primary reciever is free. So, I could have dvr service for no extra? I've got the 250 package, but may switch to 200 after the promotional offer expires. What am I missing, and who would pick the 222k over the 722k for the same cost?

The first receiver is free (even if a 922) but DVR service is not. You would be paying extra for DVR service.

#25 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

thank you.

That's what I originally thought.

#26 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Remember that using a DUO receiver means that you lose a tuner in HD for recording.

If you have more rooms with DIRECTV than you have with DISH why not just remove those extra rooms as well.

Dish charges more for advanced equipment than DIRECTV does depending on the setup so if you might want to have another HD DVR added at some point you might want to think about that.

As a general rule if you have more advanced equipment DIRECTV is cheaper and if you have standard equipment or only a couple of rooms where HD doesn't matter DISH will be cheaper.

Overall it's just going to come down to what you really want. Remember that if you're willing to make programming changes by going to a new company to save money you can usually do so with the company that you're with as well. Most people seem to be willing to make concessions with a new company and not look at what their exisitng company can do.

#27 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

Remember that using a DUO receiver means that you lose a tuner in HD for recording.

You can record in HD from both satellite tuners even though the TV2 output (not tuner) is always converted to SD.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#28 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

thank you.

That's what I originally thought.

Yea and it's the best $6. a month(DVR service fee) I have ever spent.If you have never had DVR service and like to be in control of what's on your HDTV a HDDVR is definitely the way to go!.:D

Just to give you a example:

I have Dish Network's VIP722k/w MT2(Dual OTA Tuner Module),I can record 4 programs at the same time(2 OTA +2 Satellite) while watching a prerecorded program.
With the MT2 Module your OTA channels are listed and available to select and watch in your TV2 guide with your second TV with the 722k in Duo Mode.
I highly recommend Dish Network's VIP722k/wMT2 Module!.:D

#29 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

You can record in HD from both satellite tuners even though the TV2 output (not tuner) is always converted to SD.

Correct I left it too general sorry.

If you are using both rooms when you need to record two shows you give up a HD tuner, unless it's from a local channel and you're using OTA.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...