Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

8-29-11 STELA Report In-State Broadcast Programming to Congress

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Should D* & E* be allowed to provide all customers with IN STATE local channels? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Should D* & E* be allowed to provide all customers with IN STATE local channels?

1. YES (29 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. NO (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

Anyone else aware of this? this report is pretty good. I emailed my Congressman asking what it means, when the next discussion about it would be, who is on the board representing my area for this, are there any home town calls for my area that I can ask the Congressman about this coming up, etc. Here is the website I found this on http://www.fcc.gov/e...lite-television. My reason for being so interested in this is that my DMA Joplin/Pittsburg does not have a single local station from my state. All my locals come from Kansas and Missouri while I live in Oklahoma. This report seems to have a ton of opinions on what changing DMA structure would mean as well as changing significiantly viewed stations per DMA would mean as well. If you live in an area that locals are provided but you live in a short market or you only get locals from states you dont live in then I recommend you read this article. It is massive though. Who does everyone else feel?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

This poll stems from me not having an option of obtaining in state programming or sports from my current provider (D*). I do not agree with the current DMA structure as previously stated my locals come from 2 states I dont live in. Anyone else agree with this way of thinking? Either way please vote.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

I feel for you though I don't have the problem myself what with my close proximity to the OKC antenna farm.

My sister complains about an intrastate but related problem - they get Flint stations but are much closer to Bay City. The weather reports they receive don't apply.

Why is it that there are different rules for cable?
Back in the old hometown, in the Detroit DMA we had the Detroit stations plus the Toledo stations on the cable. Hell, they had the Canadian stations too.

So is there any chance to get some more sensible rules (from a consumers point of view)?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

Cable and satellite operate under different laws. Cable industry saw fit to lobby for more restrictive rules for satellite way back when the first saw the competition.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Cable and satellite operate under different laws. Cable industry saw fit to lobby for more restrictive rules for satellite way back when the first saw the competition.

I could care less about that. The fact remains that I should be able to have access to in state programming. Why is it acceptable for my locals to come from two states I do not live in. I get zero locals from my home state. That is just pathetic. I'm doing my duty and letting my Congressman know I am not happy about it either. Now is the time to pounce since the FCC provided a great report on the issues some of us are facing. Its time for change!
Sony KDL-46HX800

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

I have a problem with the methodology of the report.

They calculate "instate" reception as being that the transmitter is within the borders of your state, but that does not guarantee that the signal originates from within your state.

I know of several instances nearby where there is a full power, or even a LP station with its transmitter in New Mexico where the owner and originator of programming for that transmitter is in Texas.

The same is true for many of the small local stations in southwest Colorado, somehow these stations came under the ownership of Albuquerque stations who broadcast their programming and New Mexico centric news/weather, etc. into SW Colorado.

This quirk comprises the majority of the complaints in this matter. Yes we have a "local" broadcast tower, but the programming originates hundreds of miles from us with prople to whom we are such an insignificant bit of their demographic that we are almost totally ignored.

I was raised in Carlsbad, New Mexico and in the 60's we had 3 locally owned TV stations ABC, CBS and NBC affiliates, but the economic circumstances could not support these stations and they were put up for sale. Over the years these 3 stations were passed around among other TV station owners out of El Paso, Midland-Odessa and Lubbock. These stations had little or no interest in covering local events in a small community over 150 miles away. They got NO advertising revenue from this area, it only bumped their DMA statistics up so they could charge their local advertisers a little bit more and all it cost them was maintenance and electricity for these "satellite" stations.

This was a relatively good deal for the remote owner but other than keeping the local satellite station lit up, it had no other advantage for those out in the hinterlands.

Later three of the Albuquerque stations finally gobbled up these three small stations and now the news and politics is at least from within the same state, but Albuquerque is 275 miles from Carlsbad.

Technology has been a bit of a help, because now the local satellite station can insert its own local commercials and splice in a short local news blurb in the 6PM and 10Pm news slot, but weather bulletins are still Albuquerque centric and of little use way out there.

There are still several small communities along the border of New Mexico and Texas that get all their News/Weather/Sports solely from Texas sources. Most of these communities and counties are regarded by other New Mexicans as "little Texas" because they have been enstilled with that culture rather than the New Mexico Culture (I consider this a plus now that I live totally in Texas and can see the advantage), but it is a problem none the less.

Our nation was founded on principles of a democratic republic where states had pre-eminence over the national government but this has been eroded over time by popular election of Senators (so senators represent the people directly instead of the individual state's interests through the legislature).

This flawed DMA construct is another small part of that deconstruction of the original intent of the founding fathers.

Citizens of each state should be afforded at least one network channel originating within the same state.

How to best do this, I do not know.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

I live in a DMA that covers all the way to Canada. It is a big area, in upper New York State and we have Canadian transmitters within 25 miles of my location, in the St. Lawrence Seaway. Some of our breathern live so far away from the main transmitter, near Watertown, NY, they get a better over-the-air signal from Mount Mansfield, in Vermont. They're still stuck with Directv channels from Watertown and NBC from Rochester, NY. The Canadian channels are omited from both Dishnet and Directv. The local Time Warner Cable, does provide two Canadian stations on their service. It's about time that they allow those Canadian stations to be included in our satellite DMA, since we're under-represented in the number of channels available, in our locals package. Compare it with our southern neighbours, in Syracuse, NY, we only get about a half the number of local channels as they do. Out of the four true local channels that we get, only one offers local news.

#8 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

The law should at least be changed to allow satellite companies to at least provide an HD affiliate of every major network (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and CW) if a DMA only provides an SD feed. My DMA has the CW, but it is not in HD. A neighboring DMA (Jackson, TN), was provided an HD CBS affiliate (WTVF) on D*, but now WBBJ (the local ABC affiliate) offers CBS on an SD subchannel. This has resulted in WTVF being removed from D* for Jackson, TN customers. This means CBS is now only available in SD to Jackson customers.

Edited by mcrutland, 05 April 2012 - 01:54 PM.

spam firewall