Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Again with the word "PAUSE"

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

:confused: The new D* ad for MRV (the one with the wolves and the guy with the torch in all the snow) says "Pause in one room...Start watching in another"...Really? Again with this!:nono:
It's STOP, not PAUSE. Now I know this because y'all explained this here in this very informative forum, which I happen to subscribe too, but a bunch of people don't have all this great forum info, and are simply stumped by this GREAT feature that does not exist in the manner in which it is advertised.

My sister just got D* w/MRV and all the bells & whistles(Comcast convert) guess what her first call to D* for tech assist was about........"Ya know that ad that says you can watch in one room and........?" Maybe if the ad simply stated that you STOP watching in one room, go to the other and find the Playlist, find the Recorded show, press Play......... ah hell, the wolves ate the guy, I missed it!:rolleyes: Advertising at its finest, explain the process as simply as you can, with as few words and details as possible, as to interest/bait the potential customer.

PS: The CSR told my sister that it sounded like there might be a problem with her install..... she was ready to roll a truck out to her.:nono2: Luckily, she called me 1st and I said STOP, no really it is STOP, not PAUSE!!!!!:lol:

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

If this is so bad, contact the federal trade commission.
[I too watched this ad and wonder if they've gone too far]
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

What, the wolves in the ad have gone to.....?:lol: :lol: Oooo, you mean D*.

As always, great material for a healthy debate: Clever advertising? or ________(fill in the blank) :D

3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

While it is only an ad, what appears [to me] to go too far is how it "resumes" in the other room(s?).
Even if one starts watching on the DVR and then changes to a remote and watches there and comes back to the DVR, overlooking the whole pause/stop issue, when you return to the DVR, you'll need to FF to get to where you left it from the remote location.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

But what if you start watching in the Living Room, but the DVR you are actually driving is the one in the kitchen? When you get to the kitchen, you are now at the 'source' DVR. Can't you just resume playing on the source DVR?

#6 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

While it is only an ad, what appears [to me] to go too far is how it "resumes" in the other room(s?).
Even if one starts watching on the DVR and then changes to a remote and watches there and comes back to the DVR, overlooking the whole pause/stop issue, when you return to the DVR, you'll need to FF to get to where you left it from the remote location.

+1 on all this.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

It's my hope that this is being addressed concurrently in marketing and engineering.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

But what if you start watching in the Living Room, but the DVR you are actually driving is the one in the kitchen? When you get to the kitchen, you are now at the 'source' DVR. Can't you just resume playing on the source DVR?

No. Playing locally, and playing remotely, are two different streams.

#9 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

When I want to quit watching something downstairs in my Home Entertainment Room I simply "Pause" the Recording, exit out of it, turn off my TV, and then go upstairs and turn on my TV, pick up the Directv Remote, find the Recording in my Playlist and then Hit "Resume" and I am now at the point in the Recording where I was downstairs when I "Paused" the Recording.

How hard is that to understand?

Yes, the Commercial was telling the exact Truth of the matter but in Essence they were right but as the Hertz Commercial states "Not Exactly"!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

No. Playing locally, and playing remotely, are two different streams.

Fair enough. :) I have 3 HD DVRs and Whole Home DVR, and this gimmick of room to room pause and unpause would be of no value to me at all.

The value of WHD for me, is the ability play back recordings that were made on a different DVR and in a different room in the house.

The Ad would appear to be misleading though. :)

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

The Ad would appear to be misleading though. :)

The whole MRV ad campaign has been "somewhat" misleading from the beginning, "but" [IMO] this ad has pushed it a bit too far. The ad suggests "seamless" viewing as you wander through your home, which isn't the way it currently works.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

Pretty soon we'll need step-by-step commercials explaining everything because some people get so nitpicky over ads. However, I wish they'd word these commercials better in order to stop (or pause) the confusion.

I never got the robots fighting in my house, the firemen making rescues...and now I guess I won't be getting any wolves with snow. I'm mad! :lol:

Edited by sigma1914, 30 November 2011 - 09:57 AM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

Pretty soon we'll need step-by-step commercials explaining everything because some people get so nitpicky over ads.

"While Your Mileage May Vary", if the mileage quoted was from a car, in neutral, rolling down the continental divide, it might help to disclose this in the fine print. ;) :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Pretty soon we'll need step-by-step commercials explaining everything because some people get so nitpicky over ads. However, I wish they'd word these commercials better in order to stop (or pause) the confusion.

I never got the robots fighting in my house, the firemen making rescues...and now I guess I won't be getting any wolves with snow. I'm mad! :lol:

Sure some are "nitpicky" we are the DBStalk educated,:lol: we know how thing are or not supposed to work, so a generalized comercial is torn apart by THOSE WHO KNOW:D. But my point is that although it is just a commercial(not a manual), JOE DirecTV subscriber out there(who will not read a manual) is still looking for the PAUSE as he/she leaves the room. :grin: IMHO, I don't think it is being done to mislead, but more to simplify the concept and generate a call to a CSR whom will explain everything in great detail. :rolleyes: !rolling

#15 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

maybe they just jumped the shark would the HR34 work the way the ad is pictured?

Sometimes Ad's get ahead of development department.:D
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#16 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

maybe they just jumped the shark would the HR34 work the way the ad is pictured?

Sometimes Ad's get ahead of development department.:D

Good point! Maybe there is micro print in the ad that reads....... HR34 required :lol::lol:

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

The HR34 doesn't work any differently for MRV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

The few times I've tried MRV room-swapping, I recall doing it as RIch above described:

Start in Room 1, hit PAUSE then EXIT
Go to Room 2, find program in Playlist, hit INFO, select Resume

and it picks up where I left off.

I haven't tried in a long time, though, so something may have changed so that Pause/Resume no longer works. Either way, it's not exactly the way the commercial makes it out...

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

I haven't had too. And I just checked. I can start watching something local or remote, hit pause, and then hit exit, go to another machine, and hit resume and it will be right where I left off. Same if I hit pause again, and go back to the other machine, and hit resume again.

From a technical standpoint, you can pause it one place and pick it up in another, but after you hit pause, you must exit out. Doesn't necessarily have to be the stop button, but yeah, that's splitting hairs really. But i never have a problem with hitting resume to pick up wherever I left off from any machine.

Now if I hit play the play button instead of selecting resume, it will resume from the last place as long as I never watched it from the originating dvr and another dvr, and have come back to the originating dvr. Play always resumes from the last place it was left on on that dvr if that dvr is where the recording resides, regardless of where else that recording has been viewed. The only way to get it to resume from the last watched place in that case if by using the resume feature.

Edited by inkahauts, 30 November 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

The HR34 doesn't work any differently for MRV.

It does in that you would not have to exit from the remote viewing in room A before you resume in room B. With 3 remote streams vs. 1 from an HR2x box, you could leave one room paused and pick up in another.

spam firewall