Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie DTV multi room install question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   apbling

apbling

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hello,
New to the forum and a newbie to boot...

Anyway, I currently have 2 HD receivers (not sure of the models) and the SWM system and what looks like a 4 port splitter. We are going to upgrade and was curious about the multi room DVR. Now, when my house was built, the original owner only had 1 coax cable run into my living room and downstairs family room. I'd like to also run one into my bedroom. It will be difficult because my basement is finished with drywall ceilings, but I think I can get through via my attic. Now, if I have the SWM system already, can I just get away with running 1 coax to each receiver, or do some of them require 2 coax's? I really really hope I only need 1, because the two that are already installed are near impossible to add another without major drywall *modifications*. I know DTV will install them, but it's been my experience they want to run wires outside the hole and make penetrations through the siding, which I do not want.

I also have been looking at the forum and seeing how thing can be hooked into my home network. This seems nice, but not neccesary, correct?

Thanks for your help.

Andy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

If you have SWM, you only need a single coax to feed a location (receiver or DVR). The SWiM LNB can support up to 8 tuners maximum, which would equate to four DVRs and you are, and will be, under that limit.

Whole-home does not mandate a link to your home network, however if you make the connection you gain some capabilities including access to some on-demand, trouble reporting, and other things. All it takes is a single connection someplace, typically using what is referred to as the cinema connection kit (CCK).

#3 OFFLINE   apbling

apbling

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Thank you for the reply Carl.

This is great news for me! Your answer includes the whole home dvr using only 1 coax, right? If I need two coax for whole home (where I can record in living room, watch in bedroom) I'm going to have to pass. Now, as for connecting to the network, I have read a few places they have wireless and wired, right?

I do have a nice wireless network, but of course, the original owner did not wire my house with cat5 cable either... BUT, if I only need one connection, could I simply have the connection be right at the swm splitter and not near the receiver, or does it need to be close to the receiver? I ask because my splitter is in the one unfinished room in the basement, which happens to share a wall with my room that has my router, which I could get wires to easily enough.

#4 OFFLINE   apbling

apbling

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

Also, If I run my own coax wires, I obviously have to buy them. If DTV does it, it'll be part of the install fee (which I'll be paying regardless). I was thinking of drilling my holes and running a small, strong rope through the walls and when the DTV install shows up, seeing if he'll let me work with him to run the coax through the walls with the rope.

Plus, I'd hate to buy the coax, install it and find out I have the wrong kind or something...

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

One coax supports dual tuner functionality as well as whole-home service.

The CCK can be wireless.

Wall fishing of coax is not part of standard installation. Even if you do the drilling and run a pull string, the installer may not agree to do the work. That is something you will need to coordinate, preferably in advance. Also it will be extra cost. If you do the work yourself, and run RG6 coax with a solid copper center conductor, you should be safe. Leave a few extra feet on each end, and let the installer trim to length and put the connectors on.

#6 OFFLINE   apbling

apbling

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Ok one last question. I finally got a route I can run wires without taking half the house apart. My question is if I run a coax from my swm splitter into the attic can I use a standard splitter to then split it again? I ask because I would like to drop it down on two walls in my bedroom and another lead in the livingroom. Sure wish the original owner would have taken two minutes extra to run a few coax and cat5. thanks, Andy

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Ok one last question. I finally got a route I can run wires without taking half the house apart. My question is if I run a coax from my swm splitter into the attic can I use a standard splitter to then split it again? I ask because I would like to drop it down on two walls in my bedroom and another lead in the livingroom. Sure wish the original owner would have taken two minutes extra to run a few coax and cat5. thanks, Andy

By "standard" if you mean a green labeled splitter for DECA/SWiM, "yes but", you also need to make sure you're not adding too many and with long coax.
This is a sticky at the top of this forum "how splitters work", which should show types of splitters and lengths of coax "not to exceed".
http://www.dbstalk.c...645#post2642645
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   apbling

apbling

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

By standard, I was referring to the $3 one from Walmart :).

I'll take a look at the sticky. I'm not going to add a ton of new receivers, but mainly want to split it just to be able to run 1 main line from the swim splitter to the attic above my master bedroom and then split it so I can install a jack on 2 walls.

spam firewall