Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22-100 Initial Release version 18A: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

Please post issues related to the initial release of THR22. I can't guarantee that they will get back to the TiVo test team but it is a good place to start.

Version: 018A
Software ID: 11.2.3-01-3-627

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 07 December 2011 - 06:46 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Note, please do not post in this thread unless you have a THR22-100.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Current FW is 018A.

#4 OFFLINE   lily10

lily10

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

My box is having all sorts of problems downloading the updated software (018A) from 0178. It gets to 90 percent and chokes, then does some wacky reset/rebooting, etc. I was on with a DTV CSR last night for an hour, and she got the box activated (that also was a problem), but it keeps trying to force the updated SW but keeps crapping out at 90 percent.

Anyone have any info on the dish option? I have a Slimline 5, plain vanilla (#04) but when I choose that option setting up the box, it says the dish and box are not a match. The tech said that didn't matter (obviously there are some other Slimline 5 options).

Right now, sitting here watching it after another restart/reset (I didn't do it) and it's once again stuck at 90 percent). In 10 minutes or so, it will turn itself completely off which is the pattern it seems to be following. If I do a red button reset, it will start up properly and get me to the Tivo screen. But sooner than later, it will ask if I want to download the SW update or not. Though earlier this morning, I was watching a a channel and it spontaneously just started the SW download process.

Very very aggravating. Anyone think I should mess around with the satellite dish settings to see if another dish choice will work with this box? Neither DTV case management CSR indicated I should change the choice from Slimine 5 (04).

Also, they scheduled a tech to come out tomorrow to take a look. Could be a DOA box, I supposed (bad HD is one reason for not completing the SW download the tech told me).

#5 OFFLINE   PA Hockey Guy

PA Hockey Guy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

I ordered and received two THR22-100 units. I am experiencing the exact same issues as lily on BOTH - software upgrade, stuck at 90%. Both DTV reps I spoke with (2 different calls) confirmed my dish settings and suggested I wait out the installs. After several (10+) minutes of the 90% screen, they reboot and attempt another install. Only by recording a program am I able to stop the automatic upgrade. My tech is scheduled to come out next Saturday. Misery loves company?

#6 OFFLINE   lily10

lily10

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

Just as I suspected, whenever you call and they say "Oh, I don't see anything system-wide on this issue," that's pretty much the euphemism for "Houston, we have a problem." I have been a DTV customer since 2000, owned one of the original HR20s (still have it and it still works), and I am all too familiar with DTVs reluctance to take the blame for issues.

All I can say is our (me and PA Hockey Guy) experience may portend a larger headache for DTV if this starts happening across their first 10 markets. I would venture to say that everyone who has this box (outside of CE/DBSTalk) is going to have the same problem. Just a hunch.

In DTV's defense,this is a new product. If they would just turn off the auto-download feature until they get it fixed, that would be nice. It does work otherwise. A case of fixing something that's not broken. I would say they have to stop the forced download.

Anyone get a new one yesterday and have it download successfully? Would love to hear from you.

Hockey guy, the earliest is next Saturday? That sucks. However, I am guessing that DTV's techs are not going to be able to solve this issue anyway. This is something systemic. What are the odds that three boxes in Philly and three failures can be fixed by a visit from a field tech?

UPDATE: Called DTV again to let them know there are now 3 boxes in Philadelphia with the same issue, and of course the tech mentioned it could be an "installation" issue, trying to blame the installers (in this case, me and PA Hockey Guy). I quickly disabused him of that notion, and now I read on the "First Look" thread that another person is having the update problem, in another city. That's four for four, at least for DBSTalk members who have this new receiver out of the box since the 12/8 launch.

Oh, the DTV tech also said they can't stop the forced download because it comes from Tivo, not DTV. Huh? I also think that may be a red herring on this issue, because I doubt DTV would ship out a new high-end HD DVR and give up control for FW downloads to someone else. But hey, anything is possible. All I know is there are now three owners with four boxes, and all of them are not able to update the SW a la the 90 percent freeze issue.

I asked the DTV tech to please go up the chain of command and let them know this is not just an isolated incident. He said he would, but who knows? Obviously, when more of these boxes hit the streets, the feedback will intensify. Heck, I only got the thing to keep my wife happy. She's already asking if we can reinstall the R10, honestly. I bought the THR22 for her, not me. I am happy with the HR23 (and the HR20 before it, after some very painful growing pains).

Edited by lily10, 11 December 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   PA Hockey Guy

PA Hockey Guy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

Weekdays are not convenient for me at all, so I had them schedule for Saturday. My plan was to cancel the appointment once the software download issue resolved itself (wishful thinking.) I do not expect that a visit from a field tech will solve the problem. At this moment it's my best (and only) decent option. Right now they're working well - albeit recording to suppress the auto-update - as I am reminded of how much I had missed the TiVo interface with my DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   nmeyrowitz

nmeyrowitz

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

I got my THR22-100 yesterday, and the software update gets stuck at 90% on my box as well. Reset multiple times, but always the same issue -- stuck at 90%. An update started last night at about 11pm, and at 8am this was stuck at 90% -- so it doesn't appear to be an issue of me being impatient ;-)

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

You guys need to notify Doug Brott via PM, or a mod. They have (I believe) high level access to DirecTv, and can probably help faster than a CSR.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   lily10

lily10

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

Sure the mod who created this thread will let Mr. Brott know, but now that another example has popped up, I am sure DTV will be trying to get this fixed ASAP. Mine just restarted, to the main Tivo screen (no attempt at SW download), but within the last minute, it again asked if I wanted to do the download now or later. I opted for later.

PA Hockey guy...do you mean you are constantly recording something to stave off the unwelcomed download attempts? That seems like not much of a fix. Luckily, I have the HRE23 to use in the interim (both hooked up to the same Panny plasma), so I don't need to do that. But later tonight, when my wife has some shows to record, that's good to know.

#11 OFFLINE   PA Hockey Guy

PA Hockey Guy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

It's a terrible fix - workaround is more like it - but what can I say? I deactivated my two old receivers and don't want to go back. TiVo is the gold standard of DVR's. That said, I will likely return to my old units when I come to my senses.

#12 OFFLINE   lily10

lily10

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

I hear you. So as long as you are in record mode, the "Do you want to upgrade" message stays away? Good to know. I will start recording on it at 7 pm, plenty of time for my wife's shows (at 9 and 10), which are set to record as well.

#13 OFFLINE   PA Hockey Guy

PA Hockey Guy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yes, my experience (all 12 hours) has been that the upgrade prompt and forced download have stayed away while the unit is recording.

#14 OFFLINE   lily10

lily10

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thanks much. Just started recording through tonight, and will wait and see what the field tech says tomorrow, though I think we agree that this fix will come from the satellites, not from a visiting tech.

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

I brought the issue to the attention of some friends of mine... Hopefully if it's a system issue they can fix it.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

Factual side of the download: the FW coming from tp3 101W (check timing at www.redh.com/dtv ), the process controlling solely by DTV.
All you can do - check signal lelvel of the tp3 and see if it not fluctuating during 7 min DL window.

#17 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for that info. Not astute enough to figure it out, but I will write it down for the tech tomorrow.

#18 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

I brought the issue to the attention of some friends of mine... Hopefully if it's a system issue they can fix it.

Thanks. Figured you would. This is obviously a hiccup, if they can fix it soon. I feel sorry for anyone who got this box and does not know about DBSTalk and deactivated their only HD DVR only to get upset. I am sure it will be worked out, but I guess I expected it to go well since there has been so much hubbub about it. As I said, it's all about the WAF for me.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for that info. Not astute enough to figure it out, but I will write it down for the tech tomorrow.

Sure you can !
Use Menu, Sat Settings, Signal, select View and watch the level on tp3 for a 7-8 minutes..

#20 OFFLINE   T-Man

T-Man

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Just received the THR22-100 Receiver.
I am stuck in Sofware Update limbo at 90%. Same issues as others have mentioned.

Update: The situation resolved itself on Monday. THR22-100 went through countless iterations of patching.
Sometime on Monday afternoon this resolved itself and is no longer stuck in the patching cycle.

Edited by T-Man, 13 December 2011 - 03:21 PM.
Update: Fixed

Protected By... spam firewall...And...