Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22-100 Initial Release version 18A: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lily10

lily10

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Welcome to the club. It's an epidemic. Using the recording 24/7 work around for now, only thing that works.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

Just received teh THR22-100 Receiver.
I am stuck in Sofware Update limbo at 90%. Same issues as others have mentioned.

Post your observation while follow post#16

#23 OFFLINE   pley

pley

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

I am in Maryland, close to DC. Same 90% software update problem. I called DTV, the tech thought replacing the box may solve the problem, but then I told her that I am on 101 only and she said the problem might go away if I finished 103 and 99 Sat hook up.

#24 OFFLINE   James B.

James B.

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

Riverside here. Replaced my trusty Hughes SD-DVR80 with a THR22-100 this afternoon. They had to replace my ancient dish with a "Slimline" unit.
My system is having the same 90% issue. So far I've let it try a half-dozen times and I've noticed it is different each time. They number at the upper left sometimes count up, sometimes they do not. For example, right now it is stuck at 90% and the numbers at the top are 2/4/85/20. In reaching this number the 85 incremented while the 20 actually counts up to about 40 and then goes back to a lower number a few times through the process. During a previous sequence the number started at 2/1/1/x. When it starts with that it does not increment as the percentage increases to 90.

I'm going to keep track of these numbers. They appear to be versions or patches and may be relevant. I have not called DirecTV yet, getting this receiver at all was tricky and i don't want it taken away!

Thanks,
-James

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:22 AM

I am in Maryland, close to DC. Same 90% software update problem. I called DTV, the tech thought replacing the box may solve the problem, but then I told her that I am on 101 only and she said the problem might go away if I finished 103 and 99 Sat hook up.

and again - read post#16

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

Riverside here. Replaced my trusty Hughes SD-DVR80 with a THR22-100 this afternoon. They had to replace my ancient dish with a "Slimline" unit.
My system is having the same 90% issue. So far I've let it try a half-dozen times and I've noticed it is different each time. They number at the upper left sometimes count up, sometimes they do not. For example, right now it is stuck at 90% and the numbers at the top are 2/4/85/20. In reaching this number the 85 incremented while the 20 actually counts up to about 40 and then goes back to a lower number a few times through the process. During a previous sequence the number started at 2/1/1/x. When it starts with that it does not increment as the percentage increases to 90.

I'm going to keep track of these numbers. They appear to be versions or patches and may be relevant. I have not called DirecTV yet, getting this receiver at all was tricky and i don't want it taken away!

Thanks,
-James

Those numbers are stages of reprogramming certain sectors of flash chip ...

#27 OFFLINE   lily10

lily10

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:32 AM

The tech is supposed to show up this morning. Same here with those changing values in the upper left. Obviously no fix from dtv. I won't let the field tech take my box because I think that dtv had better fix this soon or this is going to really cause some heartburn for them. But odd that they have not figured it out yet. My guess is most everyone with this box as of 12/8 release is having the same issue.

#28 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

If the tech is able to do something... great but I kind of doubt it. I know our friends at DIRECTV are looking into this from the other end, to make sure everything is ok with the software that is being sent up to the satellite.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#29 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

You are right, the tech could not do a thing. In fact, my guess is DTV is going to have to replace all the THR22s they shipped with new ones that have the update already on board. Just a hunch, but that's what I think is going to happen. I have no doubt that anyone who got the THR22 direct from DTV, ordered on 12/8, has a malfunctioning box, and no amount of tweaking, even at the satellite, is going to fix it. Let's just say it's an impression, and of course I could be wrong. I think DTV is going to have to do a "recall" of sorts, in which they replace the original boxes with ones that have 018A already flashed. And techs will be the ones getting them, and they will not be user-replaceable.

I am guessing, of course, but to me, this is a major snafu on DTV's part. They made a big PR announcement about the HD Tivo boxes, and now this? Has this ever happened with any HRXX releases?

#30 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

I am guessing, of course, but to me, this is a major snafu on DTV's part. They made a big PR announcement about the HD Tivo boxes, and now this? Has this ever happened with any HRXX releases?

The HRxx certainly had it growing pains in the early days.

One thing to keep in mind though, Tivo writes the software, DirecTV just pushes out what Tivo sends them. So I'm not sure how to blame DirecTV much on this other then their additional QA didn't catch it (Tivo's QA certainly should have). I guess it all depends on how much additional QA DirecTV does over what Tivo does.

#31 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Also remember, this is selected markets only at this point.

#32 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

The HRxx certainly had it growing pains in the early days.

One thing to keep in mind though, Tivo writes the software, DirecTV just pushes out what Tivo sends them. So I'm not sure how to blame DirecTV much on this other then their additional QA didn't catch it (Tivo's QA certainly should have). I guess it all depends on how much additional QA DirecTV does over what Tivo does.

Not sure why this is Tivo's fault. Can't agree there. In the end, Directv owns the box in the sense that I ordered it from them, not Tivo. They are the ultimate "buck stops here" spot. It's the "pushing out" that seems to be the issue. The tech indicated that the only fix would be on the hardware, not coming via satellite. I guess the issue is who ships the box, and was the FW download tested prior to release.

Not sure why a limited release would be any different in terms of the box being ready for prime time or not (in terms of it working as advertised). I believe DTV just made a mistake, and if they fix it quickly, fantastic. If not, well, we will see.

Did anyone on DBSTalk who has used the THR22 know what firmware was on it? To be honest, if the darned thing wasn't trying to force the FW upgrade, it would work perfectly. Not sure what the upgrade is all about, but when the THR22 works, it works well (so far at least). It's just the 90% "choke" that is making it a problem. Otherwise, it's pretty much what Mr. Sweet says it is.

UPDATE:
Just as a data point, but I noticed that since the tech left (he did nothing in terms of changing any settings, etc.), I have had the Tivo box running - not on record mode - all day, just for kicks. So far, it has not spontaneously started the FW update process, which used to happen within, oh, 15-20 minutes every time the machine was operating (without being in record mode). Starting to wonder of DTV has somehow turned off the forced download. Is that possible? The FW is still listed as 0178, so it has not upgraded. That would seem like the good short-term fix, though not sure now if they will even try to get 018A on the boxes or not.

Edited by lilydog10, 12 December 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   stewart715

stewart715

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

Starting to wonder of DTV has somehow turned off the forced download. Is that possible? The FW is still listed as 0178, so it has not upgraded. That would seem like the good short-term fix, though not sure now if they will even try to get 018A on the boxes or not.

Yes, I believe they have. I woke up this morning and the box was showing TV programming (not the update screen as it usually did). I believe they are working on pushing it when they fix the 90% stoppage problem.

#34 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

I believe that DIRECTV has identified the source of the problem and are working on a fix. Thanks, guys!

#35 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:21 AM

I got my THR22-100 today with 0178 and happened to be fooling with it at 1am PST when it asked if I'd like to update the software. This took me to the familiar DirecTV download screen which I've seen hundreds of times. It then proceeded to the download and install 018A; while I was waiting I found this thread! Looks like I missed all the fun...

The entire process took about 21 minutes.
HR20-100
THR22-100

#36 OFFLINE   mntbighker

mntbighker

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:26 AM

My box arrived tonight and I just installed the update. My activation was a nightmare but at least the update worked. I'm re-learning the TiVo interface again. The remote is cheaper than my old DirecTiVo remote was but the same layout more or less. I don't see a way yet to do any of the home media link type features mentioned in the networking section of the settings. There seems to be much less info available about content than my DirecTV DVR showed (Cast, Crew, original air date etc). I forgot how TiVo turns off the picture and sound completely while you fiddle with Season Pass where the DirecTV DVR lets you continue to hear the program. In general I see very little progress or improvement over my old SD DirecTiVo. I was hoping there would be improvements. With HD you would expect much more efficient use of all that screen real estate. The DirecTV DVR isn't stellar but it is certainly better than this unless I have yet to find some settings I missed. The DirecTV box allows you to see a small rendition of the program while the rest of the screen shows the guide or other stuff and it almost never kills the sound. It's very disconcerting to have the sound cut off just to twiddle something like number of episodes saved by a season pass. The on screen guide does not help you set up the remote to power on the A/V and TV together. I believe my old manual helped you do that, and in fact it works the same way as my old one. Boot time is WAY slow. The guy on the phone told me that this DirecTiVo caches 15 minutes back on live TV where the DirecTV DVR saved much more. So better get used to hitting record just in case if there is a chance you might want to record 30 minutes in. Well, I'm on 018A now at least.. I wonder what changed?

#37 OFFLINE   corvair61

corvair61

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

Is anyone having remote issues? Mine is just not responsive. It works, but many times I am clicking the buttons several times to get the correct response.

I have noticed how cheap the new remote feels. I packed up my pile of old Tivo remotes and cannot find any to check if one of these will work.

I'd love to hear that this is MY problem and not the new world of Directv Tivo.

#38 OFFLINE   wyoungmann

wyoungmann

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:28 AM

I think something may have been changed last night, as this morning there was the software upgrade prompt, and i hesitantly went for it. This time, it worked.

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

There seems to be much less info available about content than my DirecTV DVR showed (Cast, Crew, original air date etc).

You may see more information 24+ hours in.

The guy on the phone told me that this DirecTiVo caches 15 minutes back on live TV where the DirecTV DVR saved much more.

The buffers are actually 30 minutes each.

#40 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

Is anyone having remote issues? Mine is just not responsive. It works, but many times I am clicking the buttons several times to get the correct response.

I have noticed how cheap the new remote feels. I packed up my pile of old Tivo remotes and cannot find any to check if one of these will work.

I'd love to hear that this is MY problem and not the new world of Directv Tivo.

The old TiVo remotes won't work but if you have any "white" RC series remotes they should work.

I noted in my first look that the TiVo remote wasn't as nice as I remembered.

spam firewall