Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22-100 Initial Release version 18A: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Mine also successfully downloaded the 018A update in the wee small hours of the morning, so they got it fixed and I am glad I was wrong (needing a new box, etc.). Pretty prompt response, but probably would not have happened without Stuart Sweet's help in greasing the skids, so to speak. So thanks there too.

Seems to be running fine. I did have some weird remote issues, in that the peanut was changing my HR23 too (or at least causing all sort of wacky things to happen), so I changed the peanut to an IR remote, and that seems to have done the trick. Also, if you have two boxes with the same main TV, as we do, you can't use the same code number (in this case Panasonic panel) or the remotes take over each machine. So by using a separate code (there are many to choose from) that issue also went away. Now, we have what I think is perfect (not really interested in multi-room or whole house at this point), my HR23, her THR22, and a nice new 50-inch Panny plasma with 3D (I know, sort of silly, but it can be fun) in the middle. Home viewing Nirvana attained.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   corvair61

corvair61

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

Could you explain what you mean when you say " I changed the peanut to an IR remote".

#43 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

Go into the remote setup, there is an option for IR/RF setup.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   corvair61

corvair61

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thanks. I'll try that. Mine has been a real pain in the #@#$@

#45 OFFLINE   corvair61

corvair61

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

I gave it a shot and nothing was changed. Still fighting to get the box to respond to the simplest request. I then went and set the remote to RF and it works. Click 'Select' and the first time it works. It stopped fighting me. I tried many functions and all seem to be responding like they should. Now I'll be able to enjoy the new tivo.

Thank You.

#46 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

Good for you, that it worked. I only changed the remote to IR because it was also affecting my HR23, which is in the same entertainment unit. The peanut remote and the RC remotes will work on both boxes, so that can be a little weird when you think you are doing something on the THR22, and you see the lights blinking on the HR23. When you change inputs to the HR23, you find all sorts of mayhem has ensued. LOL. But now, it's all fixed. And both boxes are working as advertised.

Edited by lilydog10, 13 December 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,709 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

I gave it a shot and nothing was changed. Still fighting to get the box to respond to the simplest request. I then went and set the remote to RF and it works. Click 'Select' and the first time it works. It stopped fighting me. I tried many functions and all seem to be responding like they should. Now I'll be able to enjoy the new tivo.

Thank You.

You might have some source of infrared interference in that room, such as an LCD TV backlight. Changing to RF mode is the easiest fix.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#48 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

You might have some source of infrared interference in that room, such as an LCD TV backlight.

Compact fluorescent lamps are a common source of IR interference.
HR20-100
THR22-100

#49 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

I got my box on December 13th.

Started reading the horror stories about the FW update right while the tech was processing it - held my breath as we got to 90% and was relieved when it went to 95% and then 100% without a hitch. So it looks like I missed most of the fun as well.

The tech said it had to be updated out of the box and made me connect it to my network/internet even though I intended on sorting that out after he left. He said the update wouldn't process unless it was connected to the internet....

I was a little underwhelmed when I first saw the remote, but it's actually growing on me. I don't like the fingerprint finish on the outside of it - it's too slippery. But the fact that it does RF makes me like it a whole lot more.

I did a little toying around with my old silver peanut remote from my original Phillips DSR7000. It was not compatible. I also have a universal Yamaha remote (RAV324) for my surround sound receiver (RXN600), which used to be compatible with my Phillips. I tried every code in the Yamaha "List of Remote Control Codes" for DirecTV and Tivo - finally got very limited function with "11337." The universal remote used to be able to play, pause, fast forward, rewind, move up or down, change the channel up or down, and 'Enter' with the Phillips. Now with the new box, when I try to move up or down, it changes the channel up and down instead. And that's the only function I can get between the universal and the THR-22. Has anyone had success programming a universal remote to work with their box yet?

I ended up switching to RF mode which effectively ended the universal remote's strained relationship with the receiver. Since the universal doesn't seem to be compatible, I'll take the benefit of not having to point the remote at the receiver instead.

So far, the only real bug I noticed is the letterbox/paneling color keeps going gray when I set it to black. Especially after I'm flipping through On Demand or the Active channel menus. It goes back to black if reset the option. Other than that, the only thing that seems off is my Active Channel is 4:3 SD - I'm not sure if that's normal or not since I never had that feature until now.

#50 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

If you program the remote to make it think it's controlling a DIRECTV HR22, it should work for you. The {MENU} button takes you to TiVo Central.

#51 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

If you program the remote to make it think it's controlling a DIRECTV HR22, it should work for you. The {MENU} button takes you to TiVo Central.

Good idea. I'm going to look for one of the latest model Yamaha receivers and check the universal remote codes from the manual for every entry under "DirecTV." My Yamaha RXN600 receiver predates the HR-22, but the current Yamaha may have added a code that wasn't in my manual. Thanks for the advice.

#52 OFFLINE   drmanny3

drmanny3

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

I setup the unit at my parent's home on Thursday. No problem in doing so. Also no download problem as well. We are in the Los Angeles market. The one problem we did have was that I could not find an acceptable code for the Sony Home Theater. It is a relatively new unit 2011. That is going to be a big problem for my parents. They will need to use the Sony remote to control the volume of the sound. Anyone out there have some ideas on how I can get the peanut remote to work with the Sony. The Sony unit is the HT-SS380

#53 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

The Now Playing List got confused on me for a few minutes. I'm a bit sketchy on how I got there but I believe I was looking in a group folder containing episodes of Factory Made and then used the TiVo button. I navigated to DIRECTV On Demand -> DIRECTV On Demand Home and was doing some searches for Dexter. Next I went back to Now Playing List using TiVo-TiVo and ended up back inside the Factory Made folder. Left arrow would take me back to the top TiVo page and TiVo-TiVo back inside the Factory Made folder.

Eventually I did something that allowed me to see the top of the Now Playing List page.
HR20-100
THR22-100

#54 OFFLINE   healthycityboy

healthycityboy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Los Angeles, California here. I am having a problem recording OTA channels which have no program information available. I have attempted to set up a manual recording and it appears in my To-Do list, but does not record. When I check the Recording history, it says the recording was cancelled because the channel was removed from my channel list. But it is in my channel list. Any ideas?

#55 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Los Angeles, California here. I am having a problem recording OTA channels which have no program information available. I have attempted to set up a manual recording and it appears in my To-Do list, but does not record. When I check the Recording history, it says the recording was cancelled because the channel was removed from my channel list. But it is in my channel list. Any ideas?

Try restarting the box from the Tivo Central -> Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset System -> Restart the DIRECTV-TiVo DVR.

That should reacquire the data.

#56 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

One of the advantages of the THR22 is that I get all the OTA channels in my area, not just the ones D* decides I should get. As I expected, there is no guide data for those channels.

But I was surprised to find out that I can't record anything from those channels. I tried to set a manual recording (time and channel) and the recording request did allow me to do it. But when it came time to actually record it didn't work. Recording history showed that the someone in my house deleted the channel. Obviously not the case.

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

That is sort of odd.

#58 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

I thought most major markets, LA included, didn't have issues with receiving their local channels (eliminating the need for OTA tuners, etc.). But I really can't speak for anyone outside of NY.

Here in Brooklyn, my local channels populate the guide grid with full descriptions as follows: 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 , 11, 13, 21, 25, 31, 40, 41, 43, 47, 49, 50, 55, 62, 63, 66, 68. Compared to service from a few years back, there seem to be more channels, if anything, for me.

But then stations 390, 392, 396, and 398 tune my local ABC, FOX, NBC, and CBS channels as well. So, healthycityboy, if you're in the LA market, you should supposedly be able to tune 391, 393, 397, and 399. Maybe some of the programs you're having trouble recording can be done from one of the 390 channels until the problems you've described with the missing guide data are resolved.

Can anyone else in the LA market relate their experience with receiving local stations?

#59 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

OTA antennas, along with the AM21 add-on, are used for the sub channels. An example, my local ABC channel has 7-1, 7-2 and 7-3. D* only carries 7-1. In the specific case I'm complaining about, there is a local channel 26. They have 26-1, 26-2, 26-3, 26-4 and 26-5. With the AM21 D* allows you to tune to all except 26-5 when it's hooked up to a non-Tivo D* receiver. They have full guide data and recordings are no problem.

On the THR22, since you can actually scan the OTA channels, I can tune to 26-5. There is no guide data. That's OK, but I can't even schedule a recording by choosing the time and channel. More to the point, you can schedule it, but it won't record.

#60 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

OTA antennas, along with the AM21 add-on, are used for the sub channels. An example, my local ABC channel has 7-1, 7-2 and 7-3. D* only carries 7-1. In the specific case I'm complaining about, there is a local channel 26. They have 26-1, 26-2, 26-3, 26-4 and 26-5. With the AM21 D* allows you to tune to all except 26-5 when it's hooked up to a non-Tivo D* receiver. They have full guide data and recordings are no problem.

On the THR22, since you can actually scan the OTA channels, I can tune to 26-5. There is no guide data. That's OK, but I can't even schedule a recording by choosing the time and channel. More to the point, you can schedule it, but it won't record.

Damn...I learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the explanation. A little impulsive, but I just ordered one (AM-21). This should be fun.

I might need an outdoor antenna to get a decent signal, though. I currently have an indoor amplified that only seems to receive some of the sub channels at different times of the day. I'll try repositioning and hope for the best, but imagine we'll be investing in an outdoor antenna in the coming months.

Edited by SpewHole, 07 January 2012 - 04:21 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...