Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22-100 Initial Release version 18A: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Sk33t3r

Sk33t3r

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

So should one hold off on getting a THR22 or is this issue resolved? I called DTV the other day about a seperate issue and they said i could get a THR22. And Im in Houston

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,562 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

So should one hold off on getting a THR22 or is this issue resolved? I called DTV the other day about a seperate issue and they said i could get a THR22. And Im in Houston

Depends on how important that issue to you. Chances are good it will be fixed eventually.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#63 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

I had been visiting TiVo Suggestions every day or two to rate shows but for the last couple of days there haven't been any suggestions at all (I get the "please wait a few hours and then look again" message). It's been more than a week since it last booted.
HR20-100
THR22-100

#64 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

I had been visiting TiVo Suggestions every day or two to rate shows but for the last couple of days there haven't been any suggestions at all (I get the "please wait a few hours and then look again" message). It's been more than a week since it last booted.

I've had this issue since yesterday (at least) on both my units. Suggestions continue to record, but that screen is fubar.

#65 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

So I installed the AM-21 off-air tuner (first time for me) with THR-22, but as I suspected, my antenna situation is not ideal. So after I chose "local networks" and did the scan, I only found 25 channels.

I repositioned the antenna, and this time found 31.

So I know there are more channels out there, I just can't receive them all at once unless the antenna is physically repositioned. I'll upgrade the antenna down the line.

But I wanted my guide to display all of the channels, even those I can't tune with my antenna. My guide was only showing what was successfully scanned. So I started playing around a little, manually typed in some channels that I knew existed but weren't showing in the guide, like 13-1. It made me realize that I could go into my channel list settings and "turn on" a bunch of channels that were present, but just not getting a strong enough signal during the scan to validate.

So almost everything is good. I can just move the antenna if I see something on one of the subchannels that I want to watch (until we install something outdoors).

About the channels showing up on the guide without descriptions, I'm not experiencing that except for three channels (36-3, 36-4, and 36-5). All other sub-channels have full guide, channel and program descriptions, etc. For a moment, the live buffer wasn't working - but that went away after switching channels. Recording seems to be working as well.

But for those three channels, 36-3, 36-4, and 36-5: the OTA scan didn't find these stations and I had to turn them on manually from the channel list. They are the only channels on the guide that showup with no channel description. Program guide just says 'to be announced' for all programming. But worse than all that, a big "Channel not available" box shows up whenever I tune to these stations. And these channels actually do receive signals with full reception. But I can't record anything, no live buffer, can't rewind, and I can't get rid of the "Channel not available" box displaying over the picture.

Edited by SpewHole, 12 January 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#66 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:45 AM

Just to clarify things for my tiny brain ...is anyone not getting OTA channels and guide data on their THR22-100 that they did get on their previous DirecTV DVR?

I'm getting all the channels and guide data I received before. The issue is some of the sub-channels that the HR24 didn't have.

#67 OFFLINE   kla52

kla52

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Occassionally for a very long recording or if my hard drive was very full, when fast forwarding at middle speed on my old R10 SD Tivo, it would jump randomly 15, 30, 45 minutes, etc. ahead.

With the THR22 the problems are much worse. I am a big sports fan, and I DONT like to know what is happening an hour ahead of where I am in the recording, especially with the NFL playoffs.

This problem is happening ALOT with the 30-second slip feature (no, I am not using FF while pressing the 30-second button), as well as happening alot with the middle FF speed where it also jumps ahead randomly sometimes. But the 30 second slip, this has happend 10 times in the month I have had the THR22. What good is this box for watching sports, other than single FF going through 10 minutes of commericals at horse and buggy speeds.

Am I alone out there, or are others experiencing these problems?

#68 OFFLINE   oddballmkg

oddballmkg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

I have a problem when playing back a recording. A purple colored icon of some type that flashes on to the screen. It shows up in the left hand upper corner of my screen. It flashes so fast it hard to make out what it is. Some times it happen every 5 to 10 minutes and some time it happens more often. I'm using a wide screen tv. This is the only problem I've had so far.

#69 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

Reposted from it's own thread into the bug thread:

Recording stop and start times appear to have a bug. They seem to start a little late and end a little early. Now, I know this can be a problem with the stations, but in this case, it's not. I recorded 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, and The Office, back to back to back. If it was a station problem, what was missing at the end of one program would be (should be) at the beginning of the next program. But it's not. There is at least a minute of overall time missing.

#70 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

So far, the only real bug I noticed is the letterbox/paneling color keeps going gray when I set it to black.

I've started noticing this too. And it looks like the this color is also used when the TiVo is switching between screens because that appears to always be gray now.
HR20-100
THR22-100

#71 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

I've started noticing this too. And it looks like the this color is also used when the TiVo is switching between screens because that appears to always be gray now.

It's very Linux-y - the gray screen thing.

I haven't had to reset it to black in a while, though. Seems to have worked itself out for the time being. I've restarted at least twice since that issue.

#72 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

Here's a really good bug.

I started with 4 manual recordings for The Daily Show, M-T, 8pm to 9pm (PST) with 1 minute early and 1 minute late padding. This gets Colbert too which I like to watch back-to-back with Stewart. I also had lower priority season passes for things like 30 Rock, The Office and Nova which meant T-T I was using both tuners (on some days just for a brief time between 9:00 and 9:01pm).

The 1 minute late padding wasn't enough so I changed each of the 4 manual recordings to start on time and record 2 minutes longer. This resulted in a bunch of conflicts (which I stupidly ignored) about already having two recordings scheduled.

When I got done with my changes, I checked the To Do List and Recording History and saw a bunch of stuff wasn't going to get recorded because I had two manual recordings for the Daily show each day M-T, one starting at 7:59pm (the old time) and one at 8:00pm (the new time).

It seems when I changed the padding on the manual recordings, it didn't also delete the pending recordings from the old manual for the two week's of guide data.

I started to try manually fixing this but in the end the safest approached seemed to be to delete the 4 manuals and then recreate them and adjust their priority. A quick check confirmed this worked.
HR20-100
THR22-100

#73 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

I setup the unit at my parent's home on Thursday. No problem in doing so. Also no download problem as well. We are in the Los Angeles market. The one problem we did have was that I could not find an acceptable code for the Sony Home Theater. It is a relatively new unit 2011. That is going to be a big problem for my parents. They will need to use the Sony remote to control the volume of the sound. Anyone out there have some ideas on how I can get the peanut remote to work with the Sony. The Sony unit is the HT-SS380

I cannot help you with the peanut remote for the THR22.

I can tell you that I got two AR Touch remotes from Fry's for $69. It has native RF control for DTV. And it is about the best universal I have ever tried. I programmed it for our setup and use two of them, one for the living room and one for the bedroom. The touch screen can have the most used buttons in decent sized print. All buttons are lit when you move the remote. It uses a rechargeable LiIon battery and dock. My wife uses them with no problems and that is HUGE for me. I tried Harmony remotes and for us they are terrible. Worse two of them died within two years.

They might be just the thing for your parents.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#74 OFFLINE   snut

snut

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

i've had my unit for a thr22 couple weeks now and i've noticed a few times now that i'll pause a program and then later hit play and it'll just sit there stuck. the play bar shows no recorded programming and none of the playback controls do anything. i have to change channels to get it to wake up. i thought maybe forcing it to record would work, but that just makes a 0 length empty recording.

what's odd is that i can change channels and it'll be fine (i can see it recording the live tv) then i'll go back to the channel it had problems with and it still misbehaves. i've learned that hitting the jump back button on live tv will either work or bonk at you. if it bonks, then it's not actually recording. so at least, i can avoid hitting pause thinking it's safe to leave the room or answer a phone call...

still sorting out how and when this occurs, but it does seem to be related to the channel in some way -- perhaps the format. might also be related to recording something on the other tuner. i did have it wake up and allow me to start recording partway thru a movie the other day, so it's also possible it's completely random...

#75 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

i've had my unit for a thr22 couple weeks now and i've noticed a few times now that i'll pause a program and then later hit play and it'll just sit there stuck. the play bar shows no recorded programming and none of the playback controls do anything. i have to change channels to get it to wake up. i thought maybe forcing it to record would work, but that just makes a 0 length empty recording.

what's odd is that i can change channels and it'll be fine (i can see it recording the live tv) then i'll go back to the channel it had problems with and it still misbehaves. i've learned that hitting the jump back button on live tv will either work or bonk at you. if it bonks, then it's not actually recording. so at least, i can avoid hitting pause thinking it's safe to leave the room or answer a phone call...

still sorting out how and when this occurs, but it does seem to be related to the channel in some way -- perhaps the format. might also be related to recording something on the other tuner. i did have it wake up and allow me to start recording partway thru a movie the other day, so it's also possible it's completely random...

This sounds like what I was reporting in this thread

http://www.dbstalk.c...884#post2933884

I rebooted and the problem went away and hasn't come back since.

#76 OFFLINE   snut

snut

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

okay, so maybe it's a software bug and not a bad unit... sucks that it's happening, but at least others are reporting the same problem... i'll give a reboot a try. thanks.

#77 OFFLINE   Jeddem

Jeddem

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm getting close to getting a THR22, but wanted to check people's latest experience with a few key issues before pulling the trigger. I currently use an old SD DirecTiVo that I really enjoy (especially the responsive trickplay).

1) Skipping during FF - reported by kla52:

Occassionally for a very long recording or if my hard drive was very full, when fast forwarding at middle speed on my old R10 SD Tivo, it would jump randomly 15, 30, 45 minutes, etc. ahead.

With the THR22 the problems are much worse. I am a big sports fan, and I DONT like to know what is happening an hour ahead of where I am in the recording, especially with the NFL playoffs.

This problem is happening alot with the middle FF speed where it also jumps ahead randomly sometimes. ... What good is this box for watching sports, other than single FF going through 10 minutes of commericals at horse and buggy speeds.

Are you still having this problem kla52? Is anyone else having the problem? How bad is the problem?

2) Buffer problems - "Disappearing Queue Bug?" - reported by haslip and others

Three times now, on my new DirecTV tivo, my queue (live buffer) has disappeared. ... You have 30 minutes of queue, and you are perhaps in the middle of that queue, and suddenly, the screen goes black, and you are brought to live tv, with no green queue left.

Midas69 and others also had this problem. Midas69 reported that rebooting solved the problem for him. @midas69: Is the problem still solved? Has rebooting worked for everyone who had the problem?

3) Recording start/stop time issues - reported by midas69

Recording stop and start times appear to have a bug. They seem to start a little late and end a little early. Now, I know this can be a problem with the stations, but in this case, it's not. I recorded 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, and The Office, back to back to back. If it was a station problem, what was missing at the end of one program would be (should be) at the beginning of the next program. But it's not. There is at least a minute of overall time missing.

Is this still a problem for you midas69? Is anyone else having this problem? What are your favorite workarounds?

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm excited to move into the HD world, but would hate to lose the reliability of my old SD DirecTiVo when making the switch.

#78 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

2) Buffer problems - "Disappearing Queue Bug?" - reported by haslip and others

Midas69 and others also had this problem. Midas69 reported that rebooting solved the problem for him. @midas69: Is the problem still solved? Has rebooting worked for everyone who had the problem?

Actually the queue bug I reported, while in the same thread, was a different bug. Mine has not shown up again since the reboot.

3) Recording start/stop time issues - reported by midas69

Is this still a problem for you midas69? Is anyone else having this problem? What are your favorite workarounds?

Bug is still there. Not really a big deal though. It's probably on the order of 10 to 20 seconds missed. I had actually forgotten about until you mentioned it. This prompted me to try turning off clipping to see if maybe that makes a difference. Probably not, but it's a shot in the dark.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm excited to move into the HD world, but would hate to lose the reliability of my old SD DirecTiVo when making the switch.

Any minor instability compared to the SD DTivo is more than made up for with HD.

#79 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Here's a really good bug.

I started with 4 manual recordings ...

When I got done with my changes, I checked the To Do List and Recording History and saw a bunch of stuff wasn't going to get recorded because I had two manual recordings for the Daily show each day M-T, one starting at 7:59pm (the old time) and one at 8:00pm (the new time).

It seems when I changed the padding on the manual recordings, it didn't also delete the pending recordings from the old manual for the two week's of guide data.

I started to try manually fixing this but in the end the safest approached seemed to be to delete the 4 manuals and then recreate them and adjust their priority. A quick check confirmed this worked.

I had a similar thing happen. I made a manual recording to repeat once/week for 1/2 hour on Wed night. It properly showed up in my Season Pass list (on the bottom) and in my To Do list.

But, I later went in and rearranged my Season Passes and then my To Do list showed this same manual recording running twice each Wed night in the same time period. If I tried to record an additional show in that same time slot it got rejected as already having both tuners used. This proves the To Do list showing the duplicated recording wasn't just a nuisance - it actually used up both tuners.

If I choose to delete the manual recording from the To Do list, it deletes them both. I can then re-add the manual recording and it will be correct as long as I don't subsequently rearrange the Season Passes.

Will this get passed on to development or should I fight through trying to describe this problem to telephone support?

#80 OFFLINE   tivoguy35

tivoguy35

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

What exactly is the 018A adding.Also,am I to understand that the new service code is 627 for this new model.

spam firewall