Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22-100: Who has one?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

Ours was installed 15 December and we love it. It installed with no issues at all and my senior parents are happier than they've been in more than a year.

We left DirecTV 14 months ago when a second failing TiVo was replaced with an R15. We originally had 3 SD DirecTiVos and were really dissatisfied with the R15s. While on U-Verse, we acquired 2 HD televisions and decided to give DirecTV another chance when I got the DirecTiVo availability notice.

We got an HR24 for the main TV only because 3D is not supported by the TiVo. After 2 days, I'm already wishing we could have had a TiVo for that set too. MRV on U-Verse was very nice and we'd like to have it with DirecTV but not at the expense of what we consider a far superior interface.

My only issue is this extra TiVo fee we're paying. I feel that it's inflated given what we can't do. What's the justification for that?

Edited by Athenian, 17 December 2011 - 06:40 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

The extra money goes straight to TiVo. It's a contract thing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   oddballmkg

oddballmkg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

I have one of the new HD DirecTV TiVo's. It's way faster than the HR23 I have. It was taking anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds for the HR23 to responsed to the remote and I was having to reset the receiver every 2 weeks because it would freeze up and stop working. The only thing I miss from the HR receiver is just the commercial skip. I've tried programming the skip in but it does not look like it was included in the software package. I already have 80 items in the season passes area. The other thing I really like is the audio drop outs I was getting stopped. So far for the last three days, I have no audio drop outs with the Tivo receiver. Because of the way I use a DVR I really prefer Tivo to the HR receiver. I never use a TV guide to pick my programs to record. I prefer to just put in season passes and wish lists and let the DVR record away.

#24 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

I don't mind paying for TiVo but I think the charge is too high for what you get. If we had MRV and 3D, it would be fine but it's not a complete DVR (yet?).

#25 OFFLINE   mrblog

mrblog

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

Because of the way I use a DVR I really prefer Tivo to the HR receiver.

I guess that's really the right way to say it. For how I use it, the TiVo wins over the HR-series, hands down. I see so many people talking about how much better the HR-series DVR is, but I just don't see it. Clearly we aren't looking for the same things in how we use our DVRs. We don't need to fight or argue about it. We just have different criteria. I'm not going to try to convince you that TiVo is better for you. It just is for me - and my son and my wife agree vehemently.

For one thing, my wife has over 150 season passes on her TiVo :)

#26 OFFLINE   mrblog

mrblog

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

FWIW, DirecTV called me to ask how I was liking the new TiVo today. I said I liked it.

They asked if I had a "preferred" piece of equipment since I have both the TiVo and an HR-series non-TiVo DVR. I said "yes, the TiVo." They asked why and I told them three simple reasons, basically two buttons on the remote and one HR-series show-stopper:

1. "Live TV" - two-tuner switching

2. "Fast Forward" - an FF button that works, is so comfortable to find / use by touch alone, gives smooth fast-forward and is responsive (one of the most painful and frustrating aspects of the HR-series boxes, especially for sports). This alone makes the experience of TV watching so immensely more enjoyable compared to the constant frustration of the HR-series fast-forward experience.

3. more than 50 "series links" (season passes) - my wife has over 150 season passes

I will say, after a few days with the new TiVo, despite that the new "peanut" is not as nice as the old one, and every other limitation you could cite with this new TiVo, having a peanut again, with smooth accurate responsive FF, is heavenly. I forgot how much I missed that and now I realize how much stress and frustation the crappy pause / FF and general poor responsiveness the HR-series box caused for the whole household. TV is so much more enjoyable again.

#27 OFFLINE   jhrice

jhrice

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Greetings all. I discovered this forum when I got the email [finally] from Tivo about this unit. I left the Tivo family when they couldn't keep up and l was dying for HD DVR with D-TV. I have noticed over the years where it seemed to me that D-TV was working hard to make their system unique and better than before. I couldn't help but think they were stalling Tivo until they were in a better position to compete.

FIRST- a word of advise to self installers. The D-TV folks suggested that I might like to self install as it was straightforward and faster, so I agreed. What no one said was that if they are doing a system maintenance you are in for trouble. When I got to the part requiring me to call them I initially couldn't get past the computerized voice that was supposed to walk me through the install [the manual is worthless for this]. It said it had connected me and I was up and running..and.. hung up on me. It was INOP! I tried more self fixes, then finally called back and fought their d@mn computer to get to a genuine person this time. He advised me of their issues and he could not access my account to finish my install [all the while this thing was connected and it IMMEDIATELY did the 18A install]. He suggested I could complete the install online with my D-TV account. I tried that and had the exact same issues. I finally put it all to bed and called this morning. This time it went smoothly and I was even able to access a ..person.. quickly [I was in no mood to muck with their lousy computerized "help"].

So, DO NOT do a self install unless you first verify that the system is functioning.

So far, it is still loading but I have been setting up as much programming as it will allow. The remote really does feel cheap.

I hadn't been able to get the new remote to turn off my a/v reciever. Frustrating. My D-TV remote [model 65?] will still do this, as well as turns off [puts into sleep mode?] my Tivo DVR. I played with using different 4 digit codes to see if I could get better performance and I can now turn on/off my TV and Tivo together. This is a huge improvement. I am not so certain this will last, but it gives me hope that I may someday be able to simply use the peanut.

THANK you for this site and info. I wouldn't have jumped this early if I hadn't been able to look through all the discussions first.

One point of clarification? Do I understand that the Tivo DVR is SUPPOSED to remain on 24/7? Or is putting it to sleep good or?? I hate leaving it all light up.

best

JR

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,053 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

There is no 'sleep' - it's still working [standby mode] but all DTV boxes [BTW, dish DVR devices still output video with sort of self ads] turn off video/audio outputs.
So, the box in standby mode do accept new FW, updating system tables - channels, EPG, cards, etc.

#29 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

I played with using different 4 digit codes to see if I could get better performance and I can now turn on/off my TV and Tivo together. This is a huge improvement. I am not so certain this will last, but it gives me hope that I may someday be able to simply use the peanut.

Clarification please...are you using the peanut to put the TiVo on standby? The installer set up the TiVo remote and I didn't realize it might be possible to get it to turn off the blue eye.

Athena

#30 OFFLINE   MikeS.

MikeS.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

The DTV guy is here right now converting us to swim and installing our new THR-22 Tivo HD box. :D Thank God and Merry Christmas to us.

We have been using HDVR-2s since 2003 when we joined DTV just brcause of these. Both of our HDVRs have been repaired/rebuilt by Weaknees once and both have had 2 or 3 HDs replaced and installed by me since 2003.

I'm hoping we don't have the issues some of y'all are talking about here.

We've waited 3 or 4 years for a DTV Tivo box. I did have an HR-24 installed a year ago, bought our 1st HD Tivo the week after black Friday. Got lucky there, 2 weeks after I bought the TV Best Buy put it on sale 300 bucks cheaper.

Edited by MikeS., 22 December 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   jhrice

jhrice

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

First, I am not so technically astute as many of you so I may seem silly..and. I wanted to get my post up quickly in the hope I may save someone else from "install hell" if their system is down. Thus, I was upstairs at another computer and didn't have anything in front of me. So.. I was $tup!dly aaaargh. Here goes correction:

My old D-TV RC64R remote WILL turn on/off my Sony tv and Tivo together. This is in the DTV switched mode. I have to switch it to AV1 to on/off my HK audio.

My Tivo peanut WILL turn on/off my Sony tv and HK audio together. I have NOT yet figured a way to get the Tivo also go in/out of standby simultaneously [sorry for the misstatement].

The only "problem" with this is my wife not liking the bright lights [even in the dim mode] when the room is otherwise dark. Very minor issue and nothing to do with functionality. I may play more with the peanut as well as my RC64R to see if I can trick one into controlling all three [tv, Tivo, AV] together.

Some of the "issues" so far is simply that it is different and things are still loading. I recently replaced my DTV rcvr due to a DOA HD. This gave me a better feel for how quickly the Tivo loads up and functions compared to the DTV unit. Yes, it IS superior! yea.

If you happen to be reading this and have never had a Tivo, you may wonder why anyone wants one. The info D-TV supplies comparing features makes the Tivo look useless. The best way I can describe it is to compare the better Apple products to MS. Example- I have a newish Droid Charge. It is nice and does things that my friends new I Phone 4 won't do, BUT the FEEL and intuitiveness of the I Phone is SO much nicer to use. The Tivo had SUCH a superior search engine that I am always frustrated when I am searching for programs on the D-TV unit. Also, the Tivo's ability to search out programming based on my "likes" and 'NOT likes" always made me smile and exposed me to new programs and movies I never would have found on my own. Looking up the newly saved programming was a bit like being a kid on Christmas day. What new treat might I be in store for?! If this new Tivo works as well as the old ones ... I am delighted.

I will advise if I happen upon a way to control everything. Yes, I have a Harmony One and it may be possible to program it to do all this. I don't use it that much as I mostly simply watch live and recorded tv here. I have different systems in other rooms. The basic remotes have proven quicker and easier for my use. I should point out that my wife adores the Harmony One for playing DVDs, CDs, and general listening to music here.

So far I am happy. I am setting up searches and replacing movies I had saved on my D-TV unit. I am noticing how much BETTER the Tivo is. I am so glad to see Tivo survive. I have been a D-TV customer since 1996. Back in the day it was great, but as they have grown I am aware of them becoming more like the people I dreaded working with [cable]. The few times I have to contact them, half the time their tech help is inept. It used to be superb. They are unfailingly polite [good] but many times either misinformed or just not-so-bright. Their computerized "help" is terrible, and borders on offensive. I suppose it may help those who are totally clueless, but us adults are slowly being squeezed out in the cold. I also resent how ALL the major suppliers of programming have forced Tivo to sue them [and collect EVERY time] for stealing their technology. It looked to me like they were going to drive Tivo out of business simply by stealing all their good stuff and forcing them into long court fights for compensation. This hasn't slathered these suppliers in good will and makes a case for those whom consider the larger corporations as ...evil. TIVO, I am soooo glad to have you back and hope for a lovely long term relationship. An extra $5.00 a month? Anyone complaining about that has GOTTA be kidding!

JR

#32 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

I ordered 2. They are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I didn't get the best deal possible, but I'm happy. Basically got 1 free and a free SWM setup.

While I'll miss Whole Home, for me Suggestions and no Season Pass limit make it a good trade-off. More importantly, I'm looking forward to no sound or picture while in the menus. I know many like it, but I hate it.

#33 OFFLINE   MikeS.

MikeS.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

We've been up and running about 3 hours now, wife is inputting season passes. Other than issues with our Harmony/Logitech remote all is good, so far.

#34 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Well Fedex surprised me and delivered today. Got really lucky. Checked at 11am and it still said it was in the warehouse so we went out and did some shopping. We weren't home 5 minutes when the doorbell rang.

Still in the process of setting up so no judgements yet except both my units rebooted to install the new software without warning while in the midst of setting up my channels.

#35 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

For all that have a TiVo, how is the speed when your navigating thru everything. I ask because I used to have a hr22 and it was slow to response, scrolling....etc

#36 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

For all that have a TiVo, how is the speed when your navigating thru everything. I ask because I used to have a hr22 and it was slow to response, scrolling....etc

I was worried about that too, but honestly, it's fine. Channel changes and guide scrolling is as fast as my HR24. The one thing that, on the old Tivo, was really slow, exiting the season pass manager, is much faster now. There was times on the old Tivos that it could take 20 minutes if you changed a lot of stuff. I did a complete rearrange where I moved about 20 of my 50 passes around and it only took about 2 minutes to exit.

#37 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Our THR22 is much faster than the HR24 on our other set.

#38 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

Thanks to athenian and midas69 for the feedback. Anyone else have positive experience or negative? So far sounds good...

#39 OFFLINE   hhh222

hhh222

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Howdy.....anyone got the 30 sec skip to work yet?

#40 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

I don't think it does.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...