Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22 Asked and Answered thread

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I can confirm the THR Tivo remote's Slow-Mo button is not functional with an HR24. In fact, the LiveTV button doesn't do anything either and I couldn't find anywhere that the Clear button worked (certainly didn't work when I wanted it to). And, the Tivo remote doesn't have an Exit key which is helpful when operating an HR.

The big Tivo button takes you to the main menu in the HR but a second press of the Tivo button takes you back to live TV - not into the Now Playing list like it would on a Tivo. To get to the NP list on the HR you have to press Tivo, down arrow twice, select and select again - whew.

So, overall the THR remote isn't very good for the HR - although it can do the basics - somewhat clumsily.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Heynonny

Heynonny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

I was unable to avoid a $49 install charge and delivery by truck rather than having it shipped directly to me. I already have HR10-250s an an HR20-700, and I have two available sat feeds from the multiswitch bank and figured just to plug it in.

I asked if the install could be avoided and the CSR said no. I asked if it was that a new dish was needed and the CSR didn't know. Said "It's a new system and they want to make sure everything is alright."

Edited by Heynonny, 09 February 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#223 OFFLINE   rodnig1

rodnig1

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Just ordered mine after patiently waiting since its release in december!! I didnt have to have the installer come out, and was able to have it drop shipped to my house. its possible that its because i bought the house 4 years ago, and had everything installed back then.

cant wait!!! finally time to retire the old dvr40!!

#224 OFFLINE   Heynonny

Heynonny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I am not a huge fan of DirecTV, but they have treated me extremely well in recent days.

My installation fee is gone, and more than that and much more than I asked for and I thank DirecTV publicly.

When all was said and done there was one more free offer on the table. A replacement of an old non-RID DirecTV Tivo HDVR2 with an "upgraded" unit, "absolutely equivalent" for free.

Now this old DTivo is in a room that probably hasn't even been dusted, much less "lived in" for more than a year.

I tried to pin down whether the replacement unit would be a THR22. The CSR said "If your old unit was a Tivo the replacement should be a TIvo, but I don't know much about Tivos."

I explained that if it was an HR2X I wouldn't even bother opening the box and she said "Fine, just send it back; no risk, no cost. It's free, why not try it?" But I don't want to waste my time or DirecTV's costs.

Is there any way in taking advantage of a deal like this, that you can make sure you're getting a new DirecTV Tivo, a THR22, in exchange for an old DirecTV Tivo? I would be glad to volunteer for another $49 truck roll (she said this replacement unit would be shipped but I didn't think to volunteer to pay for a truck roll), if there were any likelihood that the installer had a THR22 on the truck and would be willing to give it to me in place of whatever HR2X was on his work order.

In any case, THANKS to DirecTV for treating me well here; I don't deserve it given my past attitude but I will try to keep at least an open mind moving forward!

#225 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Is there any way in taking advantage of a deal like this, that you can make sure you're getting a new DirecTV Tivo, a THR22, in exchange for an old DirecTV Tivo?

First, I'm glad to hear that you've gotten such great customer service. It's so rare that people praise publicly.

Now, as far as a THR22, I would say you have a better than 70% chance of getting a THR22 as a replacement since it would be replacing an existing TiVo. If not, call back and make sure the rep knows you were expecting a TiVo as replacement, and I'm sure they will accommodate you.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#226 OFFLINE   Heynonny

Heynonny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'm sure they will accommodate you.

Well, you guys are piling on now.

You're forcing me to revoke my hate-DirecTV membership. No mas, no mas!

EDITED TO ADD: You know, it's more than just that they gave me stuff; it's that the CSRs listened and heard. They fed back to me their restatement of what I had said so I _knew_ they had understood. That is frankly not my experience with DirecTV in years past. Even the fellow who wanted to charge me $49 for an un-needed install understood what I was saying and worked his heart out to get it changed, he simply couldn't get it to work, and his bottom line "it's new and maybe they just want to make sure it's installed right," though mistaken, was non-confrontational and in good will and easy to take. A CSR who better understood the system later got it done, but I have good feelings about both of them.

Even when you don't get stuff (and I understand a company can't always give away the store), just listening and doing the best you can for the customer goes a long way.

Edited by Heynonny, 12 February 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#227 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

First, I'm glad to hear that you've gotten such great customer service. It's so rare that people praise publicly.

Now, as far as a THR22, I would say you have a better than 70% chance of getting a THR22 as a replacement since it would be replacing an existing TiVo. If not, call back and make sure the rep knows you were expecting a TiVo as replacement, and I'm sure they will accommodate you.

I totally disagree with the idea of 70%. The new tivos come with a different fee, so I see no reason they can't guarantee a TiVo, it is in its own class. However, because of the higher TiVo fee with the new box, I also don't think it's used as a regular replacement for an old TiVo because the old TiVo units are in the same class as the regular hr units.

I'd get in touch with retention for that one.

But then again, who knows.. :)

#228 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

I totally disagree with the idea of 70%.

I try to be conservative in my estimates. I agree it is almost a certainty, but I want to have a margin of error. The main reason the THR was produced is so the old TiVo owners had something they could use on newer SWM & MPEG 4 systems, therefore making a THR22 as a replacement extremely likely.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#229 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

I try to be conservative in my estimates. I agree it is almost a certainty, but I want to have a margin of error. The main reason the THR was produced is so the old TiVo owners had something they could use on newer SWM & MPEG 4 systems, therefore making a THR22 as a replacement extremely likely.

Yeah I know. I am just saying, while they can absolutely guarantee you the new TiVo, I don't think they are automaticity sent out for replacements of old ones, I think they have to make sure it's set up that way. Which to me means 100% chance they could guarantee it, and maybe a 50% chance they swap out old tivos for one, so actually, your 70% is probably spot on!

#230 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

The development of the DTV HD TiVo unit simply took too long to complete. For more than 3 years we were teased with the project development yet every time a tentative release date was scheduled, it would always get pushed back further and further. By the time it was finally released it was too late. I was so close a few times to switching to Verizon FiOS because I wanted TiVo back and only didn't because of the NFL Sunday Ticket rights owned by DTV. But I wound up always staying with DTV for a reason... the HR34.

TiVo may have been the first platform to develop several of the now standard DVR functions and features, but they have since been surpassed by DTV with the HR34 and then some. I also think it's a fantastic "coincidence" that DTV decides to launch the nationwide availability of the HR34 for all existing customers on the exact same day that the DTV TiVo unit is made available in all markets for new and existing DTV customers. I would be very interested to know which unit is in higher demand.

I don't know about you... but the TiVo unit not having Whole Home capabilities is an absolute deal breaker for me by itself; not even counting the rest of the features of the HR34. 5 tuners on the HR34 to only the standard 2 on the TiVo unit... say goodbye to recording conflicts with the HR34. 1TB of recording space built in to the HR34; even though I use a 2TB external eSata enclosure, the 1TB internal is still double the space that the 500GB TiVo includes. Picture-in-picture on the HR34... 3D capability which the TiVo doesn't have... the list just goes on and on.

The DTV TiVo unit only works for those who either only have 1 television in their home, don't need to share programming between rooms, or those who are just blinded by the TiVo brand and want it regardless of how inferior it is. I used to be a huge fan of TiVo and dream of DTV finally getting an HD version... but unless TiVo can come up with something that tops the HR34 which I doubt they ever will as they're headed out of business, then there's just simply no reason to get the new TiVo unit instead of the HR34.

#231 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Bartman, you could buy a Tivo Premiere Elite for digital cable and have 4 tuners, 2 terabytes, home networking capability, web control, picture in guide, and on and on. The HR34 isn't that much different.

It's too bad DirecTV never paid to get the full Tivo experience with their product.

For me, the main advantage of D*TV over cable is NFL Sunday Ticket. But, their HRxx series DVRs don't offer smooth FFx1 nor a usable slow-mo. It's maddening to have great sports packages and no good way to view them.

#232 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Bartman, you could buy a Tivo Premiere Elite for digital cable and have 4 tuners, 2 terabytes, home networking capability, web control, picture in guide, and on and on. The HR34 isn't that much different.

It's too bad DirecTV never paid to get the full Tivo experience with their product.

For me, the main advantage of D*TV over cable is NFL Sunday Ticket. But, their HRxx series DVRs don't offer smooth FFx1 nor a usable slow-mo. It's maddening to have great sports packages and no good way to view them.

I am in total agreement regarding the bad slow-mo on the DirecTV DVR's. I am in the process of retiring my HR10-250's that are so good for slow-mo. I have notices that on sports that I record OTA, the newer HR-24 is pretty good at fast forward 1X. I am guessing it is because the signal is not compressed so it does not need to be decompressed. I was one of the people waiting for TIVO but before it was introduced, I rewired for SWM and Whole House DVR. After doing this and finding out that the TIVO box is not compatible with that feature, I decided not to jump.

#233 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Toms, the HR24's jumpy FFx1 can't be due solely to signal compression. The THR22's FFx1 is perfectly smooth for D* content.

It was said endless times on this board that the poor FFx1 on the HRxx series was because of MPEG4 and its inherent issues. The THR22 has shown that to be utterly false.

#234 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

And you know, I am one of the ones who said it. I clearly received some incorrect information because I've seen the THR22's trickplay with my own eyes. There's got to be something in the way the files are stored and retrieved that is different between the TiVo filesystem and the Hx2x file system.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#235 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Toms, the HR24's jumpy FFx1 can't be due solely to signal compression. The THR22's FFx1 is perfectly smooth for D* content.

It was said endless times on this board that the poor FFx1 on the HRxx series was because of MPEG4 and its inherent issues. The THR22 has shown that to be utterly false.

I did not mean to suggest that MPPEG4 content could not be played back at faster speeds smoothly. I actually did not know that the THR22 is able to do it properly. Good to know. I only offer that OTA recorded broadcasts do play back fairly well at 1X speed on an HR24. I suspect either the TIVO may have a faster CPU which allows faster decompression or perhaps the operating system of the DirecTV boxes is designed to internationally sample the recorded data to only show an intentionally jumpy playback. I guess both could be the case. The DirecTV box may be intentionally designed to do this to allow the box to utilize a slower (cheaper) CPU.

#236 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

The DTV TiVo unit only works for those who either only have 1 television in their home, don't need to share programming between rooms, or those who are just blinded by the TiVo brand and want it regardless of how inferior it is.

(emphasis mine).

That's just not a constructive statement to make. I could make an equal claim about those who favor the DTV software. It really degrades conversation to make such ad hominem attacks.

Instead, try saying "The DTV TiVo unit only works for .... those who find the TiVo interface/functionality a significant attraction".

I've had the THR22 for about a week, and I'm so glad to have TiVo back. I can list a bunch of reasons why I find the TiVo experience, even limited as the THR22 is, to be a superior one, but that's not the point. The point is this: I'm totally okay that there are people who value different things and prefer the HR2x and HR3x software, and it should be totally okay that there are people who prefer the TiVo software.

I couldn't care less about the brand: I care about the experience. I find the TiVo experience superior on the dimensions I care about. I am not blind.

#237 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

toms, the THR22 is on the HR22 DirecTV hardware. When the HR22 was introduced it had choppy FFx1. The HR24 came out later on faster hardware but had the same choppy FFx1.

The only difference between the HR22 and the THR22 is the software.

#238 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

toms, the THR22 is on the HR22 DirecTV hardware. When the HR22 was introduced it had choppy FFx1. The HR24 came out later on faster hardware but had the same choppy FFx1.

The only difference between the HR22 and the THR22 is the software.

Interesting. That being the case, one would think that the FFx1 could be smoothed out with an update if it was a priority.

#239 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

(emphasis mine).

That's just not a constructive statement to make. I could make an equal claim about those who favor the DTV software. It really degrades conversation to make such ad hominem attacks.

Instead, try saying "The DTV TiVo unit only works for .... those who find the TiVo interface/functionality a significant attraction".

I've had the THR22 for about a week, and I'm so glad to have TiVo back. I can list a bunch of reasons why I find the TiVo experience, even limited as the THR22 is, to be a superior one, but that's not the point. The point is this: I'm totally okay that there are people who value different things and prefer the HR2x and HR3x software, and it should be totally okay that there are people who prefer the TiVo software.

I couldn't care less about the brand: I care about the experience. I find the TiVo experience superior on the dimensions I care about. I am not blind.

Very well put and exactly the way I feel. I have two of them and couldn't be happier with the decision. Yes, I'm an old time Tivo user, but I also owned HR21's from the time MPEG4 came out. I also upgraded two of them to HR24's about 2 years ago.

#240 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Interesting. That being the case, one would think that the FFx1 could be smoothed out with an update if it was a priority.

Maybe. Having made so many wrong statements about this I don't want to stick my neck out again... but it seems now the most likely culprit is the way that recordings are created and stored. So, changing this would probably take a rewrite of the filesystem followed by a lengthy time after a download where the DVR was unavailable because it was moving files.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...