Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22 Asked and Answered thread

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Maybe. Having made so many wrong statements about this I don't want to stick my neck out again... but it seems now the most likely culprit is the way that recordings are created and stored. So, changing this would probably take a rewrite of the filesystem followed by a lengthy time after a download where the DVR was unavailable because it was moving files.

Well, if we are going to speculate I'll chime in with my own. I have years of experience reverse engineering the software on black boxes so have some related experience. I'd have to guess the designers chose to "discard" some of the incoming i-framesets rather than trying to control the output frames to the TV. This would make the output jerky no matter what you did. You could just discard more sets to move forward faster. The end result would be that all FF speeds would have the same level of jerkiness but move through the picture quicker - which is exactly how the D* software boxes behave. This contrasts with how Tivo boxes appear during FF at all speeds.

The only solution would be to rewrite the entire FF code around the output from the chips - likely not a trivial undertaking if you didn't start out that way.

In the end it doesn't matter why or what. What matters is how the FF works for your particular purpose. I like silky smooth FFx1 so prefer Tivo in that regard.

I suggest we stop speculating - it's not really helpful.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   dmm

dmm

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

We just signed back up for DirecTV after over a year hiatus, so they enticed us with "we want you back promotions" which basically were the same as new customer promotions. We got new dish, half price plan for 12 months, and free HR24.

I am a long time TiVo fan (from the R10 days) and miss its ease of use compared to the often awkward menu and UI of the HR24. I'm thinking of having them send us the THR22 but I have a few questions:

1. Does the THR22 show the Rotten Tomatoes score, like the HR24.

2. Can the THR22 show a mini picture while in In the Guide and other menu areas?

3. I understand the THR22 is not compatible with the iPad app for viewing content. But is it compatible for scheduling? What if I leave the HR24 on our system while running a THR22-- does that change the answer?

4. If I really like the above three features, will I find the THR22 a step backward?

Thanks for your input!

#243 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,650 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

1. Does the THR22 show the Rotten Tomatoes score, like the HR24.

2. Can the THR22 show a mini picture while in In the Guide and other menu areas?

3. I understand the THR22 is not compatible with the iPad app for viewing content. But is it compatible for scheduling? What if I leave the HR24 on our system while running a THR22-- does that change the answer?

4. If I really like the above three features, will I find the THR22 a step backward?

Thanks for your input!

1. No

2. No

3. I don't think so.

4. Yes.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#244 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

Remote scheduling with the iPad app should work fine - it works with my HR10.

Steve

My Setup

#245 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

I have an iPhone. Do either the Directv or TiVo iPhone apps work to schedule shows on the THR-22?

#246 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

I have an iPhone. Do either the Directv or TiVo iPhone apps work to schedule shows on the THR-22?

Yep, they work.

#247 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Do the old remotes from the Hx2x receivers operate the Tivo? I'm not a peanut fan and am curious about what button is the Tivo button?

Also, what about code sets with having a HR24 in the same console center.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#248 OFFLINE   Heynonny

Heynonny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Do the old remotes from the Hx2x receivers operate the Tivo? I'm not a peanut fan and am curious about what button is the Tivo button?

Yes. Menu.

#249 OFFLINE   shadowbozo

shadowbozo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well I finally had two THR22's installed last weekend. They seem to work well since my wife is not complaining. I have an HR-24 for myself. I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ for the third DVR.

Today I called to get a replacement THR22 since the hard drive in it is so loud. When my wife, who is hard of hearing, complains about the grinding noise, I knew it was time to call.

We shall see how long it takes to get it.

#250 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Well, now that I have a THR22 I tried remote scheduling with the iPad app. The app listed the THR22 and allowed me to select it for scheduling a season pass, and then said it had been successful, but the next day I went to check the THR22 and there was no sign of the request. Has anyone else gotten this to work?

I will try the web scheduler next...

Steve

My Setup

#251 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Well, now that I have a THR22 I tried remote scheduling with the iPad app. The app listed the THR22 and allowed me to select it for scheduling a season pass, and then said it had been successful, but the next day I went to check the THR22 and there was no sign of the request. Has anyone else gotten this to work?

I will try the web scheduler next...

I've tried a few times using the web scheduler and it's always worked. Unfortunately I don't have an iPad. If you'd like to send me one (nothing fancy) I'll be happy to try it out for you :D

#252 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Tested a single recording from the iPad yesterday and it worked. My guess is that I tried it earlier when the index had not been fully processed.

Steve

My Setup

#253 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

I can't find another mention of this, but if you go to the program details page of a recorded program and press Info, one of the things it will display is the percent remaining of the disk.

I note that the graphical free space indicator, which is mentioned in First Look, is not described in the manual.

Steve

My Setup

#254 OFFLINE   StL_Don

StL_Don

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

I note that the graphical free space indicator, which is mentioned in First Look, is not described in the manual.

It is mentioned in my manual on page 4. You control it from the Now Playing List by pressing the Enter button. This also lets you change sort and group options.

Don

#255 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hard to believe this is still unsupported. I miss my old TiVo something bad, but I cannot live without Whole Home.

I don't know about you... but the TiVo unit not having Whole Home capabilities is an absolute deal breaker for me by itself; not even counting the rest of the features of the HR34. 5 tuners on the HR34 to only the standard 2 on the TiVo unit... say goodbye to recording conflicts with the HR34. 1TB of recording space built in to the HR34; even though I use a 2TB external eSata enclosure, the 1TB internal is still double the space that the 500GB TiVo includes. Picture-in-picture on the HR34... 3D capability which the TiVo doesn't have... the list just goes on and on.

The DTV TiVo unit only works for those who either only have 1 television in their home, don't need to share programming between rooms, or those who are just blinded by the TiVo brand and want it regardless of how inferior it is. I used to be a huge fan of TiVo and dream of DTV finally getting an HD version... but unless TiVo can come up with something that tops the HR34 which I doubt they ever will as they're headed out of business, then there's just simply no reason to get the new TiVo unit instead of the HR34.

#256 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hard to believe this is still unsupported. I miss my old TiVo something bad, but I cannot live without Whole Home.

Yeah, it's a shame because the Tivo Premiere (non D* unit) has Multi Room Streaming which works amazingly well (no surprise).

#257 OFFLINE   drmanny3

drmanny3

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I setup the unit at my parent's home. The one problem we did have was that I could not find an acceptable code for the Sony Home Theater. It is a relatively new unit 2011. That is going to be a big problem for my parents. They will need to use the Sony remote to control the volume of the sound. Anyone out there have some ideas on how I can get the peanut remote to work with the Sony. The Sony unit is the HT-SS380

Thanks,
Manny

#258 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I setup the unit at my parent's home. The one problem we did have was that I could not find an acceptable code for the Sony Home Theater. It is a relatively new unit 2011. That is going to be a big problem for my parents. They will need to use the Sony remote to control the volume of the sound. Anyone out there have some ideas on how I can get the peanut remote to work with the Sony. The Sony unit is the HT-SS380

Thanks,
Manny

You originally posted this problem in Dec 2011. What have they been doing in the meantime? Did you end up using IR or RF?

You've never said so I'll ask ... Did you try ALL the codes listed for Sony? Were the lights on remote blinking properly to indicate accepted code entry?

I don't have the book in front of me but the code entry is different for sound than for power on/off. Are you sure you used the right button combo and codes for sound?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...