Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22 Asked and Answered thread

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

I'm not 100% sure on either of those, but I think that if you gave up your TiVo you lose the lifetime service. You might be able to talk to someone like Ellen's office about that.

As for other remotes, all I know is that you can use the white remote. I'm trying to get clarification about other remotes.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,486 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Well, I don't plan on getting this unit, but there's probably others like me that had the TiVo lifetime and then had it converted to DVR Lifetime when they got rid of their TiVo.

So they might be wondering if they could convert it back to lifetime TiVo. And if they could (or even if people still have a TiVo to turn in), would they not have to pay the $5 tivo fee as well as the DVR fee? Or would they have to pay the DVR fee, but not the TiVo fee?

As for the remotes, I forgot that they didn't have the colored buttons. I've got a couple in the closet that I'd like to see be worth something again. :) Especially a cool silver and black one that I have.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#23 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Well... clarification on the remote issue. Older TiVo remotes do not work with the THR22. Remotes designed for standalone TiVos do not work either. You can use the RC series or the remote that comes with it.

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,850 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Will the new tivo remote work a directv DVR? I suspect it will, but I wonder if it has all 8 ir codes built into it.

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,850 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

Do you think a future software release would enable youtube? I can't see why a service as simple as that can't be offered since its a internet connected device. I guess services like guru guides and web cast videos are surely out.

There is always a chance, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. I think we won't see anything other than bug fixes on this platform to be honest, not unless it does surprisingly well. I'd expect to see a tivo version of the hr34 before we see any real additional features added to this tvio, but who knows.

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

Will the new tivo remote work a directv DVR? I suspect it will, but I wonder if it has all 8 ir codes built into it.

I'll tell you after I try it.

#27 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

I'm not 100% sure on either of those, but I think that if you gave up your TiVo you lose the lifetime service. You might be able to talk to someone like Ellen's office about that.

As for other remotes, all I know is that you can use the white remote. I'm trying to get clarification about other remotes.

When I purchased my Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo back in 2001 I bought the lifetime subscription, I was told at the time that it was on that box only. In 2005 I got a DirecTivo R10 and DirecTv said that it wasn't on the unit it was on the account, and thus moved my lifetime to that R10. I lost it when I got an HR20 but they fixed it, turns out they should have added the HR20 before removing the R10. No issues when I replaced the HR20 with an HR22, I just asked that they add it before removing the HR20. Its now 10 years with lifetime DVR service, not bad for $299.

I guess I am wondering if I add a THR-22 will I pay anything other than the $6 for another box (and price of the box of course).
Though I am quite used to the DirecTv interface, and want to add another DVR, I just don't know if I need this Tivo unit.

Ed

#28 OFFLINE   TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

A couple years ago, DirecTV notified me that my DirecTivo (Hughes DVR40) would no longer work in my market (Peoria-Bloomington). I already had an HR20 on my main TV and an installer had put a SL-5 dish + a standard oval dish on my roof. I asked the DirecTV rep if I could get a HD TiVo to replace the SD box... I was told that when the DiercTV HD TiVo came out I'd be able to use it in place of the old Hughes, but it might be a few months. Well, a few months has turned into 2 years now and my Hughes box is sitting in my closet doing nothing. I am sure it is too late to get the free swap, since they sent me a HR22 to replace the Hughes... but do you think it might be possible to add the new HD TiVo without adding another 2 year programming commitment?

#29 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 273 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Curious: will the new TiVo be the only DVR that you can request/order specifically? Or did D* change that policy across the board?

(I have two HR20's that I like, but I hear other models and possibly the newer HR's are faster/better -- but I've always thought you can't request a particular model so I'm holding on to my HR20's until they die.)

D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008

#30 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

TiVo lifetime only becomes inelligible if the entire account is disconnected. I'm not saying that people who have left and came back never got it back (or that they haven't) but keeping a TiVo active is not part of the deal.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,850 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:42 AM

TiVo lifetime only becomes inelligible if the entire account is disconnected. I'm not saying that people who have left and came back never got it back (or that they haven't) but keeping a TiVo active is not part of the deal.

I thought there was a directv free dvr service for life, as well as a separate TiVo directv dvr free for life, and they where different. Not positive though.

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,850 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

I'll tell you after I try it.

While you're at it, I am curios if you could get the new TiVo to work rf with a directv remote. Even if it doesn't have settings in the menu, I wonder if you could program a directv remote like you do a regular directv dvr with its access card numbers, and then see what happens. You never know. I'd be even more curios if you cold do that and work both rf and ir at the same time, something I wish there was a setting for in the current directv boxes.

#33 OFFLINE   Budget_HT

Budget_HT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

I thought there was a directv free dvr service for life, as well as a separate TiVo directv dvr free for life, and they where different. Not positive though.

We started with 2 DirecTiVo SAT-T60 Sony units and we purchased Lifetime service on both from TiVo, not DirecTV. The programming of course was DirecTV.

At some point, the Lifetime per-box TiVo service was handed off by TiVo to DirecTV where it became Lifetime per-account from DirecTV. As we replaced a couple of defective units with DirecTiVo replacements, nothing affected the Lifetime service. When we added 2 HR10-250 units, these were also included in the Lifetime per account.

Since then we have had a mix of DirecTiVo SD and HD and DirecTV HR-2x DVRs, all covered by the Lifetime per account.

We are now down to one SAT-T60 SD DirecTiVo and one HR10-250 HD DirecTiVo (plus 2 HR2x boxes). I am wondering where we stand on the $5 fee if we want to replace the two DirecTiVo's with the THR-22 new units.
Dave

#34 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

They are different however keeping a TiVo active on the account is not a requirement of free tivo for life.

#35 OFFLINE   Budget_HT

Budget_HT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

They are different however keeping a TiVo active on the account is not a requirement of free tivo for life.

They are not different.

The DIRECTV DVR Lifetime Service - $0.00 that appears on my bill was originally DirecTiVo Lifetime service. Over time it progressed from DirecTiVo only (all DirecTV had for DVRs at first) to all DVRs, whether DirecTiVo or HR-xx.
Dave

#36 OFFLINE   BryanLyle

BryanLyle

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

Is this compatible with the AM21 for over the air signals?

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

Curious: will the new TiVo be the only DVR that you can request/order specifically? Or did D* change that policy across the board?

(I have two HR20's that I like, but I hear other models and possibly the newer HR's are faster/better -- but I've always thought you can't request a particular model so I'm holding on to my HR20's until they die.)

I would think the Tivo and HR34 would be the only ones you could order specifically through DirecTV. That is until/if a THR24 or HR35 come out, then you could get a THR22 or THR24 etc.

#38 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

The stand alone Series 2 and above support logical filters for the Wishlists. Unfortunately the older DirecTiVos do not. Does the THR22 support Wishlists with logical filters?

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

While you're at it, I am curios if you could get the new TiVo to work rf with a directv remote. Even if it doesn't have settings in the menu, I wonder if you could program a directv remote like you do a regular directv dvr with its access card numbers, and then see what happens. You never know. I'd be even more curios if you cold do that and work both rf and ir at the same time, something I wish there was a setting for in the current directv boxes.

I think RF works, yes.

Is this compatible with the AM21 for over the air signals?

Yes, definitely.

The stand alone Series 2 and above support logical filters for the Wishlists. Unfortunately the older DirecTiVos do not. Does the THR22 support Wishlists with logical filters?

I don't know... I never used logical filters on a TiVo. If you give me an example of how to use them I'll try and let you know.

#40 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

So do we have any way to get insider information as to why the Tivo can't just be a call in to order, download to receiver? Of course they would mail the remote and documentation... but this would save TONS of costs rather then replacing perfectly good working HR models already out in the field.

Say an HR22 has 0x04D1 software loaded on it.... why couldn't it just be authorized to download Tivo 0x0189? (Signal sent to it, or reboot and 0-2-4-6-8).

Is it purely a contractual issue because the Tivo logo is not sticky taped to the front of the unit?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...