Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22 Asked and Answered thread

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

It can't download to the receiver because to change an HR22 to a TiVo requires a change at a very deep level. It's still a software change but these devices were never designed to accept that sort of programming change over the air.

I can't get into more detail than that, but simple answer is, it's technical not contractual.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,892 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

I would think the Tivo and HR34 would be the only ones you could order specifically through DirecTV. That is until/if a THR24 or HR35 come out, then you could get a THR22 or THR24 etc.

I'd agree with that concept. I think directv basically controls their inventory by category, and TiVo hd dvr is its own category, just as the hr34 will be its own category.

#43 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,892 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

So do we have any way to get insider information as to why the Tivo can't just be a call in to order, download to receiver? Of course they would mail the remote and documentation... but this would save TONS of costs rather then replacing perfectly good working HR models already out in the field.

Say an HR22 has 0x04D1 software loaded on it.... why couldn't it just be authorized to download Tivo 0x0189? (Signal sent to it, or reboot and 0-2-4-6-8).

Is it purely a contractual issue because the Tivo logo is not sticky taped to the front of the unit?

The first problem with that idea is that there are that many people with hr22-100s that will want to change to a TiVo. I doubt very many people that have that specific unit will change. And remember, it would also have to be that exact model and manufacturer.

Add in its not technically something that should be done, and it won't be happening.

#44 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

If you would like to swap one of your receiver with this one, do you still have to pay the $199 fee? If your no longer on contract would you have to renew?

Thanks

#45 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

There is no "1-for-1" swap. Unless a CSR offers you a better deal, you'll pay $199 and get a new two-year commitment.

#46 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

There is no "1-for-1" swap. Unless a CSR offers you a better deal, you'll pay $199 and get a new two-year commitment.

Ok, thanks

#47 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

I think RF works, yes.

Yes, definitely.

I don't know... I never used logical filters on a TiVo. If you give me an example of how to use them I'll try and let you know.

Ok Stuart I am giving these instructions from memory. Consider them a framework and not literal step by step. If the below is not enough information I can get you exact step by step instructions.

1>Create a keyword Wishlist. Lets say "Sprint Cup."

2>After spelling it out select done entering keyword.

3>Select add additional keyword. Lets say "Practice."

4>After spelling it out select done entering keyword.

5>Now select add additinal keyword but this time highlight the word practice. Hit the thumbs down button. Now the word practice has a minus sign in front. The result will be anything Sprint Cup but no results with the word Practice in it. Of course this is just like the HR2X NNOT.

I wish I could think of something more relevant for this time of year but I guess you can tell I am a sports guy. This feature is sorely missing from my HR10. My Series 2 and TiVo HD can both do this stuff. Makes search results pin point.

Thanks for you input on this!

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#48 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Seems to me it should be pretty obvious whether or not there's an option to add an additional keyword. Thanks!

#49 OFFLINE   Brennok

Brennok

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

If the box still has classic TiVo settings Menus, could you possibly post the software version number under System Information?

#50 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

I will do that as soon as practical, and it will also be part of the Issues thread at the top of this forum.

#51 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

Here's the latest software/system info:

Version: 018A
Software ID: 11.2.3-01-3-627

#52 OFFLINE   Brennok

Brennok

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Here's the latest software/system info:

Version: 018A
Software ID: 11.2.3-01-3-627

Thanks.

#53 OFFLINE   keyoctave

keyoctave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Are these Tivo THR22 receivers new or re-manufactured? I thought they weren't building any 'HR22' units anymore?

#54 OFFLINE   rodnig1

rodnig1

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

funny thing... i have been a directv subscriber since 95, and have had a directivo receiver since 2003, and continue to have 2 of them active on my account.

i called directv to order 1, or 2 of them today, but i cannot get one, since i am not in their "market"

why would they release them to specific markets, and not to the loyal tivo subscribers who have had tivo all these years?? so, instead of a loyal tivo subscriber, some joe off the street who never had tivo gets one before me?

weird

#55 OFFLINE   shadowbozo

shadowbozo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

I switched to DISH and the wife hates their DVR almost as much as the DTV ones. We had 3 SD Tivo's before switching to DISH. What is needed to switch back to DTV? Are they offering any sort of deals on this?

Thanks in advance.

#56 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

funny thing... i have been a directv subscriber since 95, and have had a directivo receiver since 2003, and continue to have 2 of them active on my account.

i called directv to order 1, or 2 of them today, but i cannot get one, since i am not in their "market"

why would they release them to specific markets, and not to the loyal tivo subscribers who have had tivo all these years?? so, instead of a loyal tivo subscriber, some joe off the street who never had tivo gets one before me?

weird

They haven't been released nationally, they always start small in a more controlled fashion, getting installers trained etc.

Same thing happened with the HR34, people who may have no idea what they're getting ends up with them and the big fans have to wait.

Though, I'm kind of doubting that many new subscribers are getting this, I'd think DirecTV would still default to their normal equipment. Tivo would probably be mostly for those that ask for it in that market and want it.

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

Are these Tivo THR22 receivers new or re-manufactured? I thought they weren't building any 'HR22' units anymore?

As far as I know they are all new.

#58 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

Will there be a manual available in PDF format?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#59 OFFLINE   docawkward

docawkward

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Does this solve the issue that DTV has with the 30 second fast forward button? I'm talking about the 2-3 second lag while the screen visually fast forwards, showing segments of the commercials you're avoiding. Compare to Dish, which instantly snaps to the next segment when you hit the button.

If so, it's worth the 5 bucks a month to me. The options of mashing that damn button 6 times and waiting for the commercials to pass, or mashing FF 4 times and missing the mark every time drives me insane, but they have me in their shackles thanks to the NFL.

#60 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

Does this solve the issue that DTV has with the 30 second fast forward button? I'm talking about the 2-3 second lag while the screen visually fast forwards, showing segments of the commercials you're avoiding. Compare to Dish, which instantly snaps to the next segment when you hit the button.

If so, it's worth the 5 bucks a month to me. The options of mashing that damn button 6 times and waiting for the commercials to pass, or mashing FF 4 times and missing the mark every time drives me insane, but they have me in their shackles thanks to the NFL.

On the current Directv HRs, you can do a search for "30SKIP", keyword, All , Done, and it will just skip the 30 seconds, not do the default slip (the showing segments of the commercial thing).

Edited by weaver6, 08 December 2011 - 10:52 AM.
clarify that the procedure is for the current HRs

AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...