Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22 Asked and Answered thread

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Does the Peanut work with a standard HR?

Follow up question: If so, does the slo-mo button work with a standard HR for instant slow motion?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

Does the Peanut work with a standard HR?

Follow up question: If so, does the slo-mo button work with a standard HR for instant slow motion?

The remote will work with an HR2x in IR mode. It programs RF differently so I did not test that. The differences:

• The TiVo button is used in lieu of the MENU button
  • The Slow button does nothing
  • The Format button does nothing
  • The Thumbs Up/Down buttons do nothing
  • The Live TV button does nothing
  • There is no equivalent for the LIST or EXIT buttons on the RC6x remotes.

All other buttons work as their equivalents on the RC6x remotes.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#123 OFFLINE   bodosom

bodosom

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

DirecTV Cinema is listed as a supported item on the press release at the beginning of this thread, and the email I just got from TiVo.

See the DTV feature comparison chart here: http://www.directv.c...y/tivo_receiver

Now to be clear, I think some On Demand content is available, but not the movies that are pre-delivered to your hard drive, the ones that show up with a checkmark in a green circle.

I'm just a bit unclear about the distinction between DirecTV Cinema, DirecTV Cinema Plus and pre-loaded content. Does no DirecTV Cinema mean nothing in the 100s but you do get the equivalent VOD from the 1,000s? Or as you suggest you get the 100s but not the pre-loaded content?

It pretty easy to read both the DTV chart and the TiVo announcement as VOD only.

#124 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

See the DTV feature comparison chart here: http://www.directv.c...y/tivo_receiver

I'm just a bit unclear about the distinction between DirecTV Cinema, DirecTV Cinema Plus and pre-loaded content. Does no DirecTV Cinema mean nothing in the 100s but you do get the equivalent VOD from the 1,000s? Or as you suggest you get the 100s but not the pre-loaded content?

It pretty easy to read both the DTV chart and the TiVo announcement as VOD only.

Directv has 400 movies that you can choose from that are on vod that will actually download via sat instead of over the Internet like the rest of their vod offereings. this is so people without Internet can also see some of the more popular vod movies. This unit will not do that, or per load your hard drive with a few movies. However, since These movies are also available via the Internet for vod download, I don't think this makes one bit of difference to anyone who hooks up their unit to the Internet.

#125 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

The remote will work with an HR2x in IR mode. It programs RF differently so I did not test that. The differences:

• The TiVo button is used in lieu of the MENU button
  • The Slow button does nothing
  • The Format button does nothing
  • The Thumbs Up/Down buttons do nothing
  • The Live TV button does nothing
  • There is no equivalent for the LIST or EXIT buttons on the RC6x remotes.

All other buttons work as their equivalents on the RC6x remotes.

What has been your experience with the responsiveness of the UI, and the responsiveness of the remote for Trickplay?

Both relative to the HR21/22/23 with the DirecTV stock firmware, and just in general as an ordinary user.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#126 OFFLINE   bodosom

bodosom

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

... if those movies are also available via on demand, then it doesn't matter, so this is really only an issue if you aren't going to hook it up to the Internet.

Or if your link is below minimum. E.g. you have a modem or sat. Internet connection. TiVo used to stash stuff on the disk that it "broadcast" at 3am. I'm not sure what the issue is here but the SD DVRs have the same limitation per the chart (and I don't have one to check) but it seems odd if you can't queue up a movie on ch. 164.

#127 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

Or if your link is below minimum. E.g. you have a modem or sat. Internet connection. TiVo used to stash stuff on the disk that it "broadcast" at 3am. I'm not sure what the issue is here but the SD DVRs have the same limitation per the chart (and I don't have one to check) but it seems odd if you can't queue up a movie on ch. 164.

Movies n channel 164 are not the issue at all. We are talking about movies that aren't in any linear channel.

#128 OFFLINE   bodosom

bodosom

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

Directv has 400 movies that you can choose from that are on vod that will actually download via sat instead of over the Internet

I don't understand your perspective. If I set up a future recording for a movie in the 100s and it doesn't appear in my playlist until that future date I consider that PPV not VOD.

#129 OFFLINE   bodosom

bodosom

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

Movies n channel 164 are not the issue at all. We are talking about movies that aren't in any linear channel.

Perhaps that's what you're talking about but I want to know what DTV means. All the movies in the 100s are called DirecTV Cinema as opposed to the Internet VOD system which is called DirecTV Cinema Plus.

On the one hand it's silly that those channels would be unavailable but it's also silly to imagine DTV can't cache content on the THR22.

Edited by bodosom, 10 December 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#130 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

What has been your experience with the responsiveness of the UI, and the responsiveness of the remote for Trickplay?

Both relative to the HR21/22/23 with the DirecTV stock firmware, and just in general as an ordinary user.

I would rate the overall UI speed to be on par with the HR24 with the SD UI.

Scrolling the guide is about the same speed. I can page though about 18 screens of guide data in 15 seconds (note that the TiVo interface does not 'scroll' like the DirecTV interface).

The guide itself comes up in about 1.5 seconds in live TV and about 2 seconds during a recording.

Swapping tuners (or TrickPlay) takes about 4 seconds. The average channel change takes about 2.5 seconds.

The TiVo Central menu comes up in about 1.75 seconds. It's another 2 seconds to open the Now Playing list.

It takes just a hair over 2 seconds to start an SD recording and about 2.5 seconds to start an HD recording.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#131 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

I don't understand your perspective. If I set up a future recording for a movie in the 100s and it doesn't appear in my playlist until that future date I consider that PPV not VOD.

It's not perspective, it's how it actually works.

Of the 400 shows I am talking about, only a few of the top ones are also on a ppv linear channel.

All the rest of the programs you can not set a recording for on any linear channel. It will record off of a sat channel that you can not access and will never see. DirecTV has said that the TiVo can not record any of those programs via sat. So the only way to get those programs is if you have internet connected, because they are also available via Internet.

Another way to put it, DirecTV figured out how to make 400 ppv movies available to download to their dvrs, instead of the maybe 50 or so that are available to be recorded or watched now via linear ppv channels. They did this for those customers that do not have Internet. They have said that this feature is unavailable on the TiVo. This means in order to get more choices than what is on the linear channels, you will have to have your TiVo connected to the Internet.

Edited by inkahauts, 10 December 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#132 OFFLINE   BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Will the THR22 Tivo peanut remote control unit also control my Tivo Premiere XL?

MY HR24 sits next to a Premiere XL and if I replace the HR24 I don't want every use of either remote to be controlling both boxes.

(Although maybe if i like the new Tivo enough I'll sell my two Tivos on Ebay.)

#133 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

What I have read is that the THR22 remote is not compatible with any older DTiVos nor any standalone TiVos. It is, more or less, compatible with HR2x models.

Steve

My Setup

#134 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

The thr22 remote will not control other tivos.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#135 OFFLINE   BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

The thr22 remote will not control other tivos.

That's good news. Thanks for the info. just need to wait until it's released for CT.

#136 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Forgive my total ignorance of these newer DTV DVRs. I searched this thread and the First look thread for Multi Room and got no results. I have hacked DiretTiVo units now and have been waiting and waiting and waiting for DTV DVR with TiVo again. If it is not TiVo it is not TV. Lovely wife is TiVo ized and hates any other interface. I have some foggy notion of what SWiM is. We travel full time and use a simple two LNB circular dish at this time as the auto dishes for RVs only have the one cable system that I assume is SWiM. I am glad that the new DVR can still use the old connections from a simple dish.

That all said, I understand that the new DVR will not do the things shown on the DTV ads that show picking up a show room to room. Don't really care at all about that feature. What we MUST have is the ability to watch any recorded program in either of our rooms as we can presently do with the hacked and getting really long in the tooth DirecTiVo units. Is there any way to watch a program recorded on DVR 1 on DVR 2 and vice versa. This cannot be an output feature it must work over the ethernet or other dedicated wiring.

Another item I think is not an issue is that we cannot hook the unit to the internet, only to a LAN within our RV. I see that software over satellite is there. Is it possible to not ever get new software? All DTV (with TiVo) and Dish products in the past have been worse after new software than better. I am of the school that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hoping for Multi Room Viewing like any reasonable TiVo supports. When we were landed I had 5 HT TiVo units. All ten tuners were usually recording. With just four now my lovely wife and I have to decide on limited variety in our TV watching.

Thinks in advance for any answers and forgiveness of my ignorance of DTV HD.

#137 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

If it is not TiVo it is not TV. Lovely wife is TiVo ized and hates any other interface.

We were the biggest TiVo fans ever a few years ago. In fact, my wife had a TiVo antenna ball on her car and we had several TiVo dolls the kids played with. Took a couple of months to get used the the D* interface, but now we're very glad we did and neither one of us have a desire to go back to TiVo.

Is there any way to watch a program recorded on DVR 1 on DVR 2 and vice versa.

No.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#138 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

And to answer one of his other questions, if there is a new software update out, it will come to the new tivos, no way to stop it, period. On a side note, you don't need to hook them up to phone at all anymore, and most features work without internet too. These aren't like old tivos. You also can not hack them in any way.

#139 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

We were the biggest TiVo fans ever a few years ago. In fact, my wife had a TiVo antenna ball on her car and we had several TiVo dolls the kids played with. Took a couple of months to get used the the D* interface, but now we're very glad we did and neither one of us have a desire to go back to TiVo.

No.

Thanks for the very quick reply.

Vis a vis other interfaces, we have tried them all at the kids houses. Not user friendly in any way shape or form.

If not multi room, then it is a very expensive and not too heavy boat anchor. And since it is a TiVo interface, I suppose at some point in time someone smarter than me will figure out a hack.

#140 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

Swapping tuners (or TrickPlay) takes about 4 seconds.

I think that, by Trickplay, he means FF, REW, Pause, SKIP, BACK and resuming from such. How responsive is the unit to PAUSE? Is there a noted lag? When resuming from Trickplay, how long before the sound comes back? Or does it come back on instantly with the video?
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...