Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22 Asked and Answered thread

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

Vis a vis other interfaces, we have tried them all at the kids houses. Not user friendly in any way shape or form.

Yep, we thought the same thing.

What we didn't realize is that there's a big difference between trying something for a few hours and trying something for a month or two.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 ONLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

Is there any way you can port scan the IP for the Tivo? I'd be interested to see if it has that backdoor webserver that lists recordings and lets you download unprotected recordings. Is there a way to get your MAK from the menu? I don't remember exactly where, it's been a while. Access to the webserver would be dependent on being able to get your device's MAK

#143 ONLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

Oh and one more thing, it was asked but I didn't see it answered, are the component and HDMI outputs both active at the same time?

#144 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Oh and one more thing, it was asked but I didn't see it answered, are the component and HDMI outputs both active at the same time?

Yes. All video outputs are active simultaneously.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#145 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

Sorry if this was already posted, but are the old DirecTiVO menu-# shortcuts still there?

E.g., you used to be able to punch in Menu-2 to express to the TDL, IIRC.
/steve

#146 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

Sorry if this was already posted, but are the old DirecTiVO menu-# shortcuts still there?

E.g., you used to be able to punch in Menu-2 to express to the TDL, IIRC.

Yes, pressing TiV0-# works the same.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#147 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

That's macro heaven for Harmony users, then, who are limited to 5 steps.
/steve

#148 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

All the Tivo+number codes I tried worked... I didn't have a list of all of them.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#149 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

Spartanstew,

Tried to pm this but the forum does not allow me to pm with few posts and would not allow me to post twice to get to pm so here is my thousand word treatise spamming up the forum.

There really was no need to clutter up the thread on the forum.

Just wanted to say that we stay for months at a time at our kids home as we are retired and travel full time. So we get a very long look at the various boxes.

Traveling is one of the reasons I had to get rid of four of our five Series 3 TiVo units. Many times all ten tuners were recording. Satellite is the only option in a campground so back to DirecTV and the dusted off DirecTV boxes. Switched to cable because DTV broke the DirecTiVos for a while with goofy program listings. We went to cable for cheaper and better at the time.

Now I have been patiently waiting for the claimed DTV HD DVR with TiVo interface. So it comes along with a total crippling in that it is not MRV.

We have used the TiVo interface now for 12 years. When we first got the DirecTiVo I had to go out of town on business for two weeks. Handed my lovely wife the peanut and showed her two buttons and select. By the time I got home there wasn't an open hour for me to record my programs she had it full on the to do list.

At the same time my parents were living with us. My dad was 87 at the time. Handed him the peanut, showed him the Guide button and did not get one call while I was on the road. He found all his favorite programs and even discovered the Western channel.

So finally a couple questions for you. Do you have more than one Rupert DVR? If so, can you watch any program in any room at any time?

I really need to evaluate this very carefully because the cost of the boxes are miniscule compared to the cost of a portable dish that receives HD.

I am really just considering this because one of my long in the tooth DirecTiVo units is starting to pixelate.

Thanks for all your input,

#150 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

So finally a couple questions for you. Do you have more than one Rupert DVR? If so, can you watch any program in any room at any time?

With Dish Network DVRs, you have a TV1 and TV2 output. The TV2 output is SD-only and will mirror the programming on the TV1 output. Other than that, you can get a VIP922 with the built-in SlingBox feature and watch the DVR via your network, though again it's mirroring what's on the main screen. Beyond that, Dish Network doesn't offer a multi-room viewing solution similar to DirecTV's implementation.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#151 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

Spartanstew,

I did receive your PM and replied.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#152 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

I slipped it through before I got posts to PM deleted. I have your message and must post this to be able to reply to you.

Thanks again spartanstew

And yes dirtyblueshirt we are painfully aware of the limitations of the newest Dish products. Spent two months with that system in North Carolina. And I thought the original Dishplayer which Charlie Ergen crippled with new software was bad. It was that software crippling that sent me to DirecTV and the DirecTiVo.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#153 OFFLINE   RySmith

RySmith

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Anyone try the old hidden remote codes to see if they work?

Select-Play-Select-9-Select = Clock in lower corner
Select-Play-Select-30-Select = 30 Second skip (guess this isn't needed any more)

Those were the two I used regularly......don't remember the others :)
-------------------------------------------------
52'' Mitsubishi WD-57732, 36'' Proscan, 32'' JVC
HR20-700 - HR24-500 - HR24-100
SWM-8 / DECA

#154 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Anyone try the old hidden remote codes to see if they work?

Select-Play-Select-9-Select = Clock in lower corner
Select-Play-Select-30-Select = 30 Second skip (guess this isn't needed any more)

Those were the two I used regularly......don't remember the others :)

Those do not work, and I almost want to say the 30 sec skip was gone during the reign of the Series 3, but that was 4 years ago for me, so I could be wrong.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#155 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Series 3 had 30 second skip. Over on Tivo Community someone said all the Tivo + a number codes still worked.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#156 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

All the Tivo+number codes I tried worked... I didn't have a list of all of them.

Since I haven't needed to use them in a long time I don't know how up to date this list is but here's what I used to use.

http://tivo.drosoph.com/

#157 OFFLINE   Budget_HT

Budget_HT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

With Dish Network DVRs, you have a TV1 and TV2 output. The TV2 output is SD-only and will mirror the programming on the TV1 output. Other than that, you can get a VIP922 with the built-in SlingBox feature and watch the DVR via your network, though again it's mirroring what's on the main screen. Beyond that, Dish Network doesn't offer a multi-room viewing solution similar to DirecTV's implementation.

FWIW, a couple of years ago I helped a friend set up a Dish HD DVR. It had two outputs, one HD and the other SD. They could mirror, but they could also watch separate live programs or separate recorded programs.
Dave

#158 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Question: why cant I buy this outright?:eek2:
Panasonic TCP58VT25
HR22/100
Yamaha RX-A800
Definitive Research Pro 1000/2000 Center channel
SVS Sub
Panasonic 3D /Bluray player
PS3/Xbox/Wii

#159 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Question: why cant I buy this outright?:eek2:

They're currently only available as a lease.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#160 OFFLINE   alk3997

alk3997

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

One quick question on upgrading my old HR10-250 HD-Tivo to the THR22. My HR10-250 is still running with its 1.5TB of hard drives. I'd hate to lose some of what has been recorded. Can I still access the HR10-250 hard drives even if I unsubscribe that unit and replace it with the THR22? Since I own the HR10-250 (not lease) I'll have the hardware here, but just won't have it connected to the DirecTV disc.

Any issues with that? I seem to remember running the HR10-250 unconnected when we had to evacuate due to Hurricane Ike (took the Tivo with us to the in-laws).

That's my one issue with upgrading now.

Andy

spam firewall